GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys - has anyone actually purchased a spacesaver for their GT86 yet? If so how much and where did you get it. My local dealer has tried to get a prius spacesaver for me but apparently the tyre, which is only made by goodyear, is a 135-80-16 and currently not available.
Has anyone tried any other sizes or makes as it looks like there is a Honda equivelant that may fit?
Any suggestions please!

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
lordgrover said:
Didn't someone mention a subaru spacesaver fits?

I've mentioned a couple of times that it may be worth testing if a Subaru space saver will fit. The PCD is the same but i'm not sure about the centre bore.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Cheers for that, looks better than the yellow one, did you try it on the front as well? The brake calipers are quite different was wondering if you had tried it on there as well?

Alec

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Nice! Did you try it over the front brakes too? And is this the 16"?

Your car vinyl wrapped?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Good point Steve, its not likely that you will need it anyway, I'd be happy if the space saver only fits the rear as theres your suggestion if you get a front

Alec

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
The space saver that I saw was for a WRX, didn't check out a Forester but I think it looks the same. It fitted in the wheel well in the boot no problem, just that the JBL wouldn't fit on top properly. But it's good to know that it actually fits on the car without catching the caliper, but to be fair, if it can fit over big WRX brakes, it'll fit over the front of the GT no problem.

Will there be any problems with the fact that the space saver is a 16" and all the other wheels are 17"?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Keethos said:
The space saver that I saw was for a WRX, didn't check out a Forester but I think it looks the same.  It fitted in the wheel well in the boot no problem, just that the JBL wouldn't fit on top properly.  But it's good to know that it actually fits on the car without catching the caliper, but to be fair, if it can fit over big WRX brakes, it'll fit over the front of the GT no problem.

Will there be any problems with the fact that the space saver is a 16" and all the other wheels are 17"?
The tyres are much higher aspect ratio (not so low profile so higher sidewalls) so the rolling diameter is about the same

Alec

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
keelerad said:
Good point Steve, its not likely that you will need it anyway, I'd be happy if the space saver only fits the rear as theres your suggestion if you get a front

Alec

actually i'd prefer my spacesaver on the front, non-driven wheel. just checked and wheel circumference is about the same as the standard tyre, but still, a 17 on 1 side and 16 on the other might cause problems with the 16 flexing more than the 17? i'm no tyre expert but that's what i'm thinking

·
Registered
855 Posts
Hence why spacesavers comes with a max speed, of about 30mph or so if i recall right.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
They are normally marked as 80 kph (50 mph) but fast enough to get home or to a tyre dealer to get the puncture fixed.

You're not supposed to drive on them for long.

Alec

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Tell me about it, saw the same "tool" in a Golf on a couple of differentoccasionsdriving erratically and at speed (80+), weaving in and out on a 3 lane carriage way with a space saver on

1 - 20 of 227 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.