GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone made any enquiries yet about a space saver for the GT86? There is a well under the boot floor to take one and the car seems to come with a jack as there was one in the toolkit in the demo model I drove. Wonder if a Prius space saver will fit as they are Prius tyres on the car? The tyre repair kits supplied with cars nowadays usually mean that the tyre cannot be repaired after a puncture so a space saver would be a good investment rather than having to have a new tyre every time you have a puncture!

·
Registered
278 Posts
My previous two cars had no spare wheel, simply a puncture repair kit. These kits also can only be used on simple punctured also. A sidewall or major puncture and you've had it.

On the otherhand major tyre damage and a repair would normally be out anyway. And would you REALLY want to drive a performance car with one being repaired???

Maybe I've been lucky but I haven't had a puncture in quite a few years - eight or nine years I think. Most people I know aren't getting punctures all the time and doing roadside wheel changes.

Anyway I found out my AA cover gives me cover if I have a puncture which I can't repair at the roadside using a kit. They confirmed as long as I carry a kit and have made a reasonable attempt to use it, they would recover the car. WARNING - I understand that this cover is NOT part of new cover issued and is only available on older AA policies.

Plus when you think about it, you get a puncture and put on the spare tyre, what do you do? That's right drive to the nearest tyre centre to get a replacement pretty quickly, as you no longer have a spare if you have a puncture. Exactly the same as if you used a repair kit to get you going at the roadside.

I'm more than happy with no spare and provided with a repair kit. And after all, it gives more storage space and importantly saves weight.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The important thing to note here is that if you use the tyre repair kit supplied with the car you will not then be able to have the puncture in the tyre repaired you will have to get a new tyre. I purchased a Peugeot RCZ less than two years ago with 19 inch wheels and had a puncture in the first few months. I called the AA to get sorted out on the road but the space saver enabled me to get to a tyre repair centre where they repaired the puncture. If I had used the kit supplied it would have been £300plus for a new tyre rather than £20 for the puncture repair.
As my GT86 will be for everyday use and not racing on a track then the little bit of extra weight outweighs being stranded on a road somewhere waiting for a rescue. Also if it is safe to have the tyre repaired then it is safe to use on the car bearing in mind I will not be racing it! Not sure where you live but my wife and I have had 3 punctures between us in the last 2 years.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I was unlucky enough to get a big screw imbedded into the inner side wall of my current car only a couple of months after picking her up, luckily I was home when I relaised it so it wasn't a major issue but I do a lot more travelling for work now so I'm always worried that I won't be so lucky next time. I've never used these kits before so don't really know how good they are.

There is a dedicated area for a saver in the boot but currently you have 2 foam pockets I think that houses the repair kit, so I suppose you pull them out and drop your saver in so you don't lose any boot space. If you opted to the JBL sound system, then I don't know cos I believe the sub sits in that area so don't know if you could still squeeze one in or not.

Edited by: Keethos

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I think a space saver is a good idea and something i'll be asking about. As long as the stud pattern is the same then the prius space saver would I assume be compatiable with the GT86.

Just checked Prius page on Toyota site, they all come with a space saver.
Edited by: en8wall

1 - 7 of 7 Posts