GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

Sony Headunit Swap

4K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  osuzumebachi86 
#1 · (Edited)
As requested by @Llyr32 I am making a how to for Installing Sony Headunits into a GT86.
Product Output device Gadget Television Technology

My model is a Sony XAV-AX3005DB, but I believe this could also be used for other Sony Headunits in the same series as these tend to be standardised sizes between models. Like the Sony SONY XAV-AX3250 or Sony XAV-AX1005DB but don't quote me. Check the dimensions of the Sony headunit you are interested in first and check it will fit your car.

This guide is for the AX3005DB.

One thing to note is there are small differences between headunits like the type of screw and max length of the thread.
On the left is my AX3005DB and on the right is the SONY XAV-AX3250. The units have the mounting holes for the brackets in the same place but each require a different screw. Self tapping Cap Head screw for mine and counter sunk for the newer version.

Sony XAV-AX3005DB
SONY XAV-AX3250

My unit is second hand and didn't come in the box with the screws so I had to procure mine on ebay. If you but a new unit it ought to come with the screws.
On the images you can see the letters T and N for different holes. The T stands for Toyota and the N stands for Nissan. those holes are there specifically for those brands.
For none Toyota/Nissan cars the Sony kit comes with a metal bracket which slides into the unit which you wont need.

Cassette deck Gas Gadget Electronic instrument Audio equipment
Gadget Electronic instrument Adapter Cable Audio equipment

Before buying this unit I did research online form other guides, but what I did not realise is that the OEM bracket in my car would not fit this unit.
The guide by this youtuber is quite good, see bellow (edit, it's actually a guide by another member @tweedbean ), what he did is use an angle grinder to modify his OEM bracket. Then used an aftermarket plastic space to take care of the gap his headunit leaves against the fascia at either side.

Auto part Font Automotive exterior Event

I also bought a set of these but my Headunit brackets are different than the ones in the video and they can't be paired together. (edit: Fitting an aftermarket head unit to my BRZ inc video guide)

In this other video you can see another type of bracket for the OEM headunit. This is because headunits vary from market to market (EU, Japan. Asia Pacific, US & Canada) and in some cases are upgradeable options, base HU, better HU, premium HU etc

But I don't have an angle grinder, so instead I 3D printed a custom bracket. I based my design on someone else's one I found on Thingyverse which was custom made for a Chinese Headunit and made this version specifically for the Sony.

Bicycle part Wood Font Metal Auto part

I'm currently waiting on the screws to arrive. I'll post an update on the install later.

See less See more
2 7
#3 ·
Small update, I installed a rear view camera I bought from Ali Express in order to save time later when my screws arrive so that the connector will already be behind the Headunit gap area.
Link: 22.75US $ 15% OFF|Sinosmart Hot Sale Universal Hd Car Parking Reverse Backup Rear/front Camera For Vehicle Yellow Bule Red Brown White Black - Vehicle Camera - AliExpress
Cost me £18.73 but the price has since gone up a bit.

The camera is almost the same as the one in this very useful guide:

The only difference is that the camera harness is a little bit smaller and just about manages to reach the rubber boot/hose thingy meaning I had to force the connector into the tube but it does fit.

I wont post instructions as this video is self explanitory.

#6 ·
I may need to modify the CAD file a bit to shave a few mil of the top.
Before I do that I need to do a fit check but it wont be today as I'm going to C&M this evening and I don't have the time.

My 3D printer is out of commission until I finish installing the depth probe as I have an issue with an unlevel bed, probably warped from factory so I need to overcome the issue of elephant foot on the first few layers.

#7 · (Edited)
3D Printer is sorted. I installed a BLTouch for first layer accuracy to prevent shrinking or "elephant foot".
The CAD model needs an adjustment.

Netbook Computer Gadget Output device Communication Device

It needs to be a bit wider to fill the gap, and the filler part of the bracket needs to come down 2mm relative to the rest in order to be perfectly centered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.