GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Senna, look away now - You have been warned...

This Wednesday was the first day I took my less than two week old GT86 to work (After washing and preparing on Tuesday evening). Showed several colleagues the car throughout the day, lots of interest. Everyone loved it, got lots of compliments and enthusiasm about the car.

Was late leaving and as you do, you get in the car and drive. Got home in the dark, left it at home Thursday and thought I'd give it another wash when I got home as it had got a fair bit of mud and splatters on from the wet Wednesday (~100 mile round trip).

To my dismay I discovered a mark on the drivers door which I first thought was bird poo but didn't come off when cleaning with the mitt;

On closer inspection I saw that it was not poo but a 5-6 cm vertical scratch / dent;

Needless to say my heart sank, I felt sick, angry, annoyed, my mind backtracked to think when this could have possibly happened and with the number of times I'd been out to the car during the day to show poeple the car I'd have noticed it... surely..?

To be honest, I didn't even want to drive the car again at this point. I didn't sleep well that night and I was not in a great mood at work on Friday. Clearly some inconsiderate newark had 'opened' a door onto it and it had to have been in the last couple of hours of Wednesday as I'd been out to the car around 15h30 and it was fine (from what I recall) and I left at 17h30.

I didn't want to mention it to too many people as I hoped that one or two cars that often park in the same spots would park there again and I had my camera with me to take some snaps and hopefully find a bit of orange paint on someone's door..?

A few of my colleagues asked what was wrong and I had to tell them, fortunately a couple of them got in touch with our security people and we have CCTV... a search went on and footage is being mailed across to a manager for Monday so hopefully that'll show something as evidence.

I went to my dealer this morning to get them to start the 'repair quote' process and see what the damage (sic) is going to cost. It's either find a culprit and hope they confess and give me insurance details (they haven't so far, which is one of the most depressing things about the whole incident) or hope the CCTV shows something and I can contact the Police and say it's criminal damage.

Anyone got any suggestions as to how to deal with it as I'm just lost for words that someone can do something like this, not admit it and pretend nothing happened - you know when you've hit someone's door, it's not a small mark.

Edited by: Angel C

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
That's just crap. Sorry. Someone jealous or just stupid. And dishonest. Hope you get it fixed soon

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Is there actually a dent there? I'd try applying a medium compound by hand and see how much of it comes out. I predict most of it! Most of that looks like the other car's paint.

·
Registered
99 Posts
FFS don't really have any words that can make you feel better mate
, try not to let it get you down though, lets hope Karma catches up with whoever did it. Or the VBBJ!
Is the dark bit down to your metal work or is it the other person's paint? It looks like the scuffing would possibly polish out with something like T-cut (the one with the colour in). It would make it a bit better but wouldn't make it 100%.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
So sorry dude, there are way too many stupid idiots with cars now days, they are oblivious to anything around them and are just out right inconsiderate of others (e.g. people who just swing doors open or people who can't see people moving to one side or even flashing lights until the emergency vehicle honks them out the way if their siren isn't on....sorry bit off topic but witnessed this the other day and it annoys me)

I hope you do find the person and report them, my brother's father in law had his car hit by a so calledcolleaguein the works car park and decided to try and just drive off, luckily some other workers and friends of my brother's farther in law witnessed it and even stopped him from driving off.

But at least you've had your first dink now, hopefully you can relax a little and enjoy the car more!

Edited by: Keethos

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hope the CCTV picks something up , I was gonna post I got my first stone chip other day ..I was gutted with that ..

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I've got pieces of paint missing but both my own fault, so just shrug shoulders. Other people being pricks AND not admitting it is annoying (to keep the language down a bit)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to you all for the support guys, it is appreciated.

Yes, there is a dent there, albeit quite feint - You can see a change in the reflection when you stand back a bit.

Dealer took photos of the damage and is going to mail me a quote. They did say that it's probably going to need some filler, a respray of the door and 'blending in' onto nearby panels but I wasn't that confident with that as the idea of filling it in didn't sound too promising and why would they need to blend in onto panels that are still new..?

Will have to see what they come up with and I'm just hoping Monday gets some progress once we get our hands on the CCTV footage and perhaps can approach who (we think) did it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
So sorry.
I would be looking for a t**ser in a blue car, going off that evidence.
They will probably park somewhere well away from the bay you were in.
Edited by: ezz

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Angel c
You are better than me as I would be climbing the wall by now
Too many people do not give a sh*t about other people's property and are not honest
Would love to meet them face to face and deal with it our way.....so sorry for you

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this

People nowadays just seem to have no respect for others property.

I would definitely see if those marks would come out with some sort of polish (T-cut might be a bit too harsh) first and if so then dentmasters may be able to remove the dent. You have nothing to loose and it may save the panel being painted.Edited by: Martin F

·
Registered
53 Posts
Bit off topic but being a firefighter some people are just arses and just do things like that out of badness we get them all the time sitting right in front of you when you have lights and sirens going full blast and not moving for you some folk are just cocks its the way it's is sometimes brush it off and move on karma will catch them up

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Too late, Angel C ! I just saw it ! OMG!, OMG! OMG!

Oxygen, Oxygen ..... Defibrilators..... -CLEAR! (ZAP) - CLEAR! (ZAP)...

... OK, - I am concious again, - phew, - that was nearly the end for me! Guys - Never post pics like that without a warning for me to stay away IN THE TITLE!

On a more serious note: Aaaaaaargh ! What ba****d did this to you mate?

I never fail to be depressed by the sheer arrogant, selfish stupidity of our fellow citizens...or maybe they were jealous and did it on purpose. Only innocent explanation could be a careless child but that still wouldn't mean it being excused from the electric chair in my book!

Whoever did this must have known.
And it was done with some force I would say.
This is one of the worst examples of this kind of 'accidental' damage I have ever seen.

I hate to say this but now the added complication of the metallic Orange colour will muddy the waters of getting it repaired. In your shoes I would be looking for a local bodyshop with a real pedigree for such a tricky repair, rather than just allowing the local dealer to have it.
The blending in is going to make it a long, slow job to get right.

Might be worth checking out who the local Porsche dealers use for a body repair like this... it would need to be of a high order of bodyshop skill to get it just right.

I am so sorry for you buddy. Try and Nail the person responsible via the CCTV. They left the scene of an accident or deliberately vandalised your car - it's one or the other.

Please keep us posted on progress though ?

Very best of luck.

Now ...I think I need a strong drink after seeing that...even though it's only 7.30am!

Edited by: Senna

·
Registered
136 Posts
Angel, just read your thread, Jesus H, It just beggers belief someone could do that and just walk away. This is what insurance is for, the person that did this must have known, its the worst "door bang" I've ever seen so they can't say they didn't notice!! Hope the CCTV identifies them and you should press for criminal damage at the very least. If it's someone at work I would hope the company would have something to say. Me, I would probably revert to type (east London boy at heart) and profer some serious violence.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.