GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was reading the AutoCAR review of the GT86 yesterday and I noticed what looks like a sensor/camera/speaker??? on the A Pillar (Below).

I also noticed one of these on each of the A Pillars in the car at my dealer that I took out for a spin.

Does anyone know what they are? Will they be on the production model or dealers/test cars only?

The toyota UK GT86 page does not show them in the interior 360 images.

Edited by: GT86Owner

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
They are the interior alarm sensors

Standard Subaru design and position

·
Registered
278 Posts
pretty standard on other manufacturers too.

it's the tacky stick on sensor on top of the steering column I don't like. it looks like a cheap afterthought to the design. particularly with the wire showing.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I thought the one on the steering column was the mic for the hands free?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Because then it wouldnt work???

You have to give the sensor the widest possible angle at entry point. A thief needs little more then 10 seconds to get in and out. I'd rather my alarm went of straight away then after a few seconds when he's already getting ready to run. Gives me enough time to go think about going to break his legs.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Ugly it might be, but no BMW style thefts via obd with the 86 sensor position, lol

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ICantAffordAnLFA said:
Ugly it might be, but no BMW style thefts via obd with the 86 sensor position, lol
Yeah I guess so. You would think that they could have hidden them out of site a bit better. Never mind, they didn't bother me too much when I drove the car but in the pics they look obvious.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
You'll be having too much fun to notice

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I went to check out the demo model at my local garage a few weeks ago, the dude there said the one on the steering wheel was for the bluetooth phone mic and the other two were sensors for the car alarm. Best not be leaving the dog in the car and locking it then!

I'm loving the headlamp washers and smart entry. Any ideas if the key fob can be used to open the boot or petrol cap?

·
Registered
278 Posts
While the alarm sensor installation is pretty typical across manufacturers, the one that spoils the look is the cheap tacky one stuck to the steering column with the wiring bare.

My last few cars I've owned had built in Bluetooth and one of them I didn't even know where the mic was!

It looks like a cheap and poorly thought out add on after the design was completed. Something my 12 year old could do with a cheap add on kit from Halfords!

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Who will be using the mic as you should be enjoying the car and the sound it will be making
After all we are buying the car to drive it and not make a phone call??

·
Registered
278 Posts
Celica66 said:
Who will be using the mic as you should be enjoying the car and the sound it will be making
After all we are buying the car to drive it and not make a phone call??
Quite right, rip it out first thing after delivery!

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
The only reason you would need the mic is to call home to say sorry I will be late home ...
Got to go for a drive again and again and again ..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Now folks have picked up cars, can anyone confirm the nav version of touch has this properly integrated, rather than the maplins job.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
ICantAffordAnLFA said:
You'll be having too much fun to notice

Amen!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ours has Nav, and has the Mic on the steering wheel cowel too!
Groan... I was told the upgraded touch had it properly integrated in the unit. I guess if the head units are identical minus the gps/nav dongle it's to be expected.

They could have integrated it into the upper cowl with the wire on the inside, it just looks cheap as it is, I'll get them to fix it properly later.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Speedymurr said:
While the alarm sensor installation is pretty typical across manufacturers, the one that spoils the look is the cheap tacky one stuck to the steering column with the wiring bare.

My last few cars I've owned had built in Bluetooth and one of them I didn't even know where the mic was!

It looks like a cheap and poorly thought out add on after the design was completed. Something my 12 year old could do with a cheap add on kit from Halfords!

You honestly dont notice it after the first time

1 - 20 of 22 Posts