GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
They ran out of money! Looks shambolic compare to the GT86.
The BRZ is the same in the states as it is over here so I assume it'll take sales from the FRS unlike here in the UK where it is less popular than the GT86.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
.... and somebody has stolen the clutch pedal!

That's what happens when you only pay $25000 rather than £25000

Alec

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,869 Posts
the scion is $26k before tax. the gt 86 is about $32k before tax. for than we get:

dual zone climate. auto HID lights and led daytime running lights. fog lights. nice chrome exhaust tips. leather padding for legs and shoulders. touch stereo. cruise control. better seats. rear spoiler. keyless entry. keyless push start. folding mirrors. heated mirrors....

I'm sure I missed a few things.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Apparently the HID headlights cost £750 each, a bulb for them is over a ton as well !

Alec

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
tank commander said:
they dont do stick shifts,to much like hard work.
what would you expect if you put every 16-year old behind the wheel of a car with minimum training after they spent about 1 afternoon driving around the school parking lot.
that and most of the teens' first cars are beaters with 3-speed or 4-speed auto's because anything else is either to expensive or just to nice to wreck.
US car culture blows. at least they gave us the muscle cars

·
Registered
655 Posts
keelerad said:
Apparently the HID headlights cost £750 each, a bulb for them is over a ton as well !

Alec
You can buy blubs cheaper on the outside .market.

But best not damage the light clusters or inverters.

I've converted the NSX and Lude to HIDs, albeit not bi-xenons, so I'm familiar with the bits.

·
Registered
787 Posts
There's probably only one saving grace to the FR-S... Compared to the rest of the absolute dogs Scion have produced in the past stylingwise (check them out on Wiki!
), the FR-S is positively beautiful by comparison on the outside... Shame about that dashboard though... Looks like a Maplins/Halfords after<strike>birth</strike>thought...

G

·
I fear a few of the comments about our US cousins are a little out of date - maybe a decade or two ago.<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253; ">When I first started going over thirty odd years ago, yes they were pretty much all huge, gas guzzling autos - but gas was less than a dollar a gallon then.
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253; ">There are way more small/medium compacts/sedans now - this year I rented a Ford Focus manual. Last year I had a bit more travelling to do so went for a Taurus, but still not huge although that was an auto.

·
Registered
655 Posts
That slightly masks that the yank tank brigade are now using F-150s and Chavy Suburbans to commute in. Their best-selling cars aren't cars.<div id="LCS_336D0C35_8A85_403a_B9D2_65C292C39087_communicationDiv">

But yes, when the Accord/Camry/Civic are the best-selling regular cars, the convergence is quite notable.

*I meant Chevy; maybe I was right first time...

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,869 Posts
gt_sjo said:
I think the lower spec BRZ isn't too dissimilar to that FR-S!
In the US yes. In the UK it is far superior.

Subaru has a more prestige following in the US compared to the more boy racer following here. Partly that is becuase they dont get the super duper fast ones like we do. the WRX has abotu 260hp there compared to 300-400 here. it got something to do with emmisions in the US being based on engine capacity and not considering it got a turbo.

·
Registered
655 Posts
There IS a far bigger tuner scene in the US, though. So there are 'as fast' variants as 'our' STi models.<div id="LCS_336D0C35_8A85_403a_B9D2_65C292C39087_communicationDiv">

Both Subaru (whose image is probably equivalent or higher than Volvo's in the snow states!) and Honda are terribly sniffy about that, though. Volvo's association with Ford seems to have destroyed its yuppie appeal of yore.

But market perceptions are very interesting; Honda is more bargain bucket over there that it (once was) here, partly due to Acura, and VAGs are regarded as classy, but terribly unreliable POS whereas they are almost deified here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.