GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once we all start getting delivery of our precious GT86s in Aug and Sept, we'll have to start thinking about the winter ahead. Particularly ordering a set of winter tyres early enough so they can be changed over Nov or Dec when the weather gets cold, wet and snow could be falling.

I've always put on a Vredestein tyre, as I understand they were about as good as I could get. Anyone have any idea about the best winter tyre for the wheel size on the GT86?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pablo said:
The Vredestein Wintrax Extreme are the best snow tires I have experienced.  They do a pretty good job. 

Yes, I've used them for the last few years on powerful cars and they always seemed to outperform my family saloon fitted with four season tyres.

Which is quite amazing when you think about it- a powerful, torquey car having better grip than a standard family saloon.

Unfortunately Toyota's response to my question on a recommended manufacturer & model of a winter tyre on standard GT86 wheels was as follows. Basically they haven't a clue and are just guessing.

Thank you for your email to Toyota. In response to your query, I have confirmed with a vehicle technician at a Toyota centre that the recommendations do depend on the type of wheels currently on the vehicle.  He recommended Bridgestone or Yokohama Winter tyres but that you contact your local centre for confirmation. I trust this information is of use to you. If we can be of any further assistance please feel free to contact us on 0844 701 6200. Yours sincerely,Samson KebedeToyota Customer AdvisorPhone: 0844 701 6200Fax: 0203 166 4115Email: [email protected]www.toyota.co.uk
Edited by: Speedymurr

·
Registered
157 Posts
Indeed. Can't remember which model exactly, but I've also tried a Yoko and it was better than your average tyre, but not as good as the

Vredesteins.

I would personally look at using the standard alloys with them, either going for the stock tyre size or one size smaller so they cut into snow and ice easier. Then look at some nice summer alloys and tyres for when its warm
If you want them for this winter though, you'll have to have lots of "fun" in the meantime to wear out the current tyres

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've got some 215 55 16 vredestein snowtrak 3 from previous car going to swap on to some different wheels

·
Registered
245 Posts
GT86Owner said:
RWD + SNOW - WINTER TYRES = FUN/DEATH
Fun fun fun, says an M3 E92 driver (for another couple of weeks that is)

Never bothered with winter tyres on the M or the S2000 I had before it

Having said that, I'm getting older and more sensible these days, so I might go for some winter tyres at some point...

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hi All,
We sell theBridgestone winter tyre & provide free storage in our secure facilityfor customers with both types.We are awaiting prices for thecoming season,and i will put together a wheel/tyre comband tyre onlyprice.Free fitting on both.I drove on winter tyres for the first time last winter in an Auris hybrid and what a difference.Toyota have a video of 2 vehicles driving on an ice rink which is on Utube which demonstrates the benefit perfectly.

·
Registered
466 Posts
yes, once you've experienced winter tyres on your car, you wonder why you didn't fit them previously.Edited by: Targ86

·
Registered
90 Posts
Does anyone know how important the load index for these tyres is? The only tyre I can find with an 87 load index is a michelin Alpin PA3 which is rated at 87H and costs £160 per corner. All the others are 91's and I'm told they don't perform well if they don't match the required index!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Winter tyres are always lower rated, probably because they're so soft, and heat up so easily.

The theory is if you need such tyres you will be driving more slowly and carefully, so it wont be a problem, which generally will be true.

The people you will need to check with will be your insurance company however, they are the only people like to take an interest :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks 'Rarerims' but I was querying the load index not the speed rating (I'm fairly comfortable with going slow in the snow), do you know if its important?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Yokohama do a 91V W-Drive which would be fine, sorry for not paying enough attention.

You are correct, load ratings really had ought to be kept as per original manufacturer spec or higher.

·
Registered
466 Posts
lordgrover said:
Vredestein QUATRAC 3 seem to be available in right size. Recommended winter tyre for southern uk/England?

Careful here. These tyres ARE NOT winter tyres. They are all season tyres. A big difference in tyre performance between the two. Having said that, they are a good all season tyre and often seen recommended.

Personally, I'll stick to a summer tyre and then switch over to a winter tyre late in the year when the temperature drops near zero and the roads are very wet (and possible have snow or ice on them). I'll switch back to summer tyres end of March, when real risk oflying snow or icy roads have more or less gone.

G

·
Oops! My bad - I was browsing SNOWTRAC 3 and linked to the wrong tyres. Sorry.

Not listed in correct size anyway. Double -duh!
Edited by: lordgrover

·
Registered
626 Posts
For some really dull information... summer tyres really struggle to get up to temp when it hits 6 degrees, that is the cross-over point where winter tyres will offer more grip.

Do keep in mind because a winter tyre is very very soft that if wont handle and be as responsive with those as it is your summer tyres :) They're designed to have the tread blocks move around a lot, which makes them get up to temperature in the cold conditions. This does have the knock-on effect of making the handling a little on the vague side.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Your absolutely right. I'm not planning any track day type drives during winter months, so accept the slight drop in performance balanced against improved grip.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts