GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't remember 100%, but is the "snow mode" only available on automatics and is not a feature in the manual gearbox models?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Yep, only on the auto. I guess that's because in the manual you have the clutch to vary traction to rear wheels. Just read up on the snow button on another forum, apparently it will pull away in 2nd gear with lower torque to aid traction.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8976
I do have some doubts over whether I'm going to get stranded in my auto when snow arrives, like many BMW owners seem to be every winter.

The "Sport" button on the auto works in D and holds the gears longer and to a higher rpm before it changes up.

Edited by: en8wall

·
Registered
278 Posts
I had a "snow mode" button in my RS250 (FWD high torque) which varied the throttle response. ie it varied the throttle so you had to press it a fair amount before you got any real power - perfect for snowy, slushy or slippery roads.

With winter tyres and when necessary "snow mode" on, my RS250 just stuck to the road and never struggled. Something which it did with the summer sports tyres.

I'm just a little worried too I'll struggle in these road conditions with RWD and a snow mode would be the thing to use.

I know It's not simply a tyre thing, it's all about torque and throttle control too.Edited by: Speedymurr

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Seriously, just learn the skills to drive in the snow yourself. It's really not that difficult, it's just throttle control pure and simple.

Besides snow + RWD always equals lots of fun in my book. ;)

If you live somewhere where it snows a lot, get winter tyres.

Edited by: Lauren

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Lauren said:
Seriously, just learn the skills to drive in the snow yourself. It's really not that difficult, it's just throttle control pure and simple.

Besides snow + RWD always equals lots of fun in my book. ;)

If you live somewhere where it snows a lot, get winter tyres.
Driving in snow isn't the problem i've been driving 25 years. It's just sometimes rwd cars just dont want to move in the snow. Last winter there were 5 BMW's all abandoned on a hill near us due to the snow and I'm only in Hertfordshire.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Winter tyres are a must for any car. Wherever you drive and FWD or RWD. It's not just loads of snow their designed for. Its all the different types of road conditions that exist in winter in the UK. And that even includes lowish temperatures, where most summer tyres performance drops off below 7deg C.

If your driving in snow covered roads, slowing or dipping the throttle output can get you stuck. The key thing is to keep the speed going steady once you are moving. Taking power away from the wheels and then re-applying often is the wrong thing to do, as you'll just come to a halt with spinning wheels.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a winter tyres convert and have been for several years now. I have plenty experience of driving in snowy roads winter and would urge everyone to at least try winter tyres, if not fit them, as the performance difference is HUGE.

I just think a snow mode setting would have been very helpful to have. After all cruise control is being fitted as standard spec and to be honest, we could all live without that spec option on this car couldn't we.Edited by: Speedymurr

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
It can be difficult, I agree, but I don't think it snows enough in this country to consider it as a serious issue.

As I said, winter tyres will really help, not only in snow, but also in cold conditions. Last winter though it wasn't even cold enough to warrant them.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I disagree. Last winter had plenty of snow around. More importantly it had cold weather. It had very wet weather. It had slushy roads. It had icy roads.

Drive in all those road conditions in summer tyres, then drive in winter tyres. You will stick to the road with the winter tyres.Edited by: Speedymurr

·
Registered
619 Posts
Winter tyres are the worst decision unless you live inScotland. We dont have enough 'winter' weather to warrant running them.

As lauren says its pretty easy to control in snow unless you panic. The GTROC use CATD Driver Training. I can see if they'd be willing to offer us some discounts on their training days if anyone wants to learn how to drive their GT86 properly.

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Speedymurr said:
I disagree. Last winter had plenty of snow around. More importantly it had cold weather. It had very wet weather. It had slushy roads. It had icy roads.

Drive in all those road conditions in summer tyres, then drive in winter tyres. You will stick to the road with the winter tyres.

Obviously it's different for you as you say. I had no snow at all last winter, in fact it was very mild. For the most part even if snow does arrive, it rarely lasts more than a few days. With your location being the whole of Scotland, I wasn't sure where in Scotland. As R32GTR said for the rest of us, it's not always going to pay off having winter tyres. Also driver training is always a good idea.

I admit to being a bit mad though as I kind of relish low grip conditions as you can have fun at very slow speeds.

Edited by: Lauren

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Last winter was fairly mild but the year before (2010/2011) was a nightmare, I struggled to leave the drive and get up the road. The year before that (2009/2010) snowed a fair bit too but I managed to get about that year....even on summer tyres...though they were only a couple of months old so plenty of tread. I just hope that we don't get as bad as snow again so I won't have to worry about getting winter tyres. I know they're Michelin 215/45 R17 but does anyone know what the model of tyres they are and the rating?
Edited by: Keethos

·
Registered
137 Posts
My current car is a Honda Accord Ex GT Auto. I was really worried about snow and where I live has an incline round a corner before getting to a main road. 2 years ago in really bad snow, I watched many cars struggle to get out mondeos, bmw even clios etc. I was scared my auto would fail as it had no snow button etc. All i did was lift foot off the brake and allow it to pick up speed, quick change up to 2nd before corner and no foot on gas, just allowed engine to pull me round corner. It never failed once... so I am hoping the GT auto will have a similar grip.

·
Registered
68 Posts
~£600 for a set of tyres you only needon about 3 days a year seems excessive...just drive more gently. I managed fine in both my RWD cars in the snow even with rubbish tyres. It's not like the GT86 has much torque anyway.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Since when did the season of winter last 3 days in the UK? Winter tyres are designed for all winter conditions, not just snow - hence the name "winter tyres".
Last winter had a huge dump of snow in April - sudden, unexpected and caught the council roads dept out. I had winter tyres and stuck to the road, most of the cars around me on the way to work, were sliding and spinning wheels.

You can kid yourselves if you want, but it does snow in the UK in winter. BUT winter tyres are designed to cope with snow and severe wet and low temperature (below 7 deg C). Summer tyres are not designed for any of these.

Why don't we run a book on the first GT86 owner to get stuck or have an accident because they don't have the right tyres. I'll not bet on me, as I know it wont be me.

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Keethos said:
Last winter was fairly mild but the year before (2010/2011) was a nightmare, I struggled to leave the drive and get up the road. The year before that (2009/2010) snowed a fair bit too but I managed to get about that year....even on summer tyres...though they were only a couple of months old so plenty of tread. I just hope that we don't get as bad as snow again so I won't have to worry about getting winter tyres. I know they're Michelin 215/45 R17 but does anyone know what the model of tyres they are and the rating?

I think those two recent years of bad weather are exceptional though, rather than the norm. I've lived around the Manchester/Macclesfield area since 2003 and apart from those two exceptional years, I've not seen a lot of snow. Not the sort that has caused much of a problem, anyway.

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Speedymurr said:
Since when did the season of winter last 3 days in the UK? Winter tyres are designed for all winter conditions, not just snow - hence the name "winter tyres".
Last winter had a huge dump of snow in April - sudden, unexpected and caught the council roads dept out. I had winter tyres and stuck to the road, most of the cars around me on the way to work, were sliding and spinning wheels.

You can kid yourselves if you want, but it does snow in the UK in winter. BUT winter tyres are designed to cope with snow and severe wet and low temperature (below 7 deg C). Summer tyres are not designed for any of these.

Why don't we run a book on the first GT86 owner to get stuck or have an accident because they don't have the right tyres. I'll not bet on me, as I know it wont be me.

Not everyone lives where you do, though. I don't recall a huge dump of snow, only rain and hailstones. Sure it can get cold. Last winter you really didn't need winter tyres round my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Lauren said:
Speedymurr said:
Since when did the season of winter last 3 days in the UK?  Winter tyres are designed for all winter conditions, not just snow - hence the name "winter tyres". 
Last winter had a huge dump of snow in April - sudden, unexpected and caught the council roads dept out.  I had winter tyres and stuck to the road, most of the cars around me on the way to work, were sliding and spinning wheels.

You can kid yourselves if you want, but it does snow in the UK in winter.  BUT winter tyres are designed to cope with snow and severe wet and low temperature (below 7 deg C).  Summer tyres are not designed for any of these.

Why don't we run a book on the first GT86 owner to get stuck or have an accident because they don't have the right tyres.  I'll not bet on me, as I know it wont be me. 

Not everyone lives where you do, though. I don't recall a huge dump of snow, only rain and hailstones. Sure it can get cold. Last winter you really didn't need winter tyres round my neck of the woods. 
Yeap, same here in Cambridge. We had a really mild winter except for a bit of snow just before xmas. At least I don't remember much post xmas snow....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Did you still have winter tyres fitted in April or did you swap them over specially?

For me the only situation where winter tyres would be of any interest is for snow driving and seeing as we getnegligibleamountsof snow in the UK it doesn't seem worth the effort to keep having to get tyres/wheels changed (also the expense of buying and storing a spare set of wheels).

The reduced grip in cold weather isn't that severe because the temperature rarely goes that far below 7 degrees. Winter tyres won't help much on ice anyway.

Sure if you live in a place where there is consistent snow for weeks and very cold weather then there is worth to having winter tyres or if you live in Germany where they're a legal requirement...but then Germany has proper winters...

If you get proper winters in your part of Scotland then fair enough but most of the UK just gets a tad chilly.

G

·
Down here in the South West winter tyres are pretty much a waste of money - can't be justified.I've driven RWD pretty much all my driving life - mostly BMW & TVR. Not got stuck once.
On a fewoccasionsI'll admit to cadging a lift from colleagues with 4x4s when there's been deep snow or extreme ice, but I wouldn't have left home in FWD and winter tyres in those conditions.
Man up and get out there - it's great fun especially the supermarket carparks and a few inches of snow.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts