GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
gt_sjo said:
Just a box pic.. no car yet!

17x7.5 for OEM tyres 
These were my first choice but wanted 18" and couldn't wait. They're very nice...

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Nice... Really like those !

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I have spent hours (maybe even days) looking at wheels and obviously FT86Club has made it a bit easier with that great thread.

Still tempted to stick with a 17" and go for a really light forged item CE28N or BBS RF

But then I start thinking about 18s with some skinnier rubber; loved Advan RGDs or some TSW Burgs

And maybe a little space for a bigger brake set up

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see going to an 18" a backwards step for handling on British roads.

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,869 Posts
gt_sjo said:
I see going to an 18" a backwards step for handling on British roads.
I know next to nothing about tyres so this is just a guess: Is this because the high profile tyre can absorb some bumps (as in rough surface micro bumps) and keep more rubber on the road over the rough surfaces?

Often I see track cars with smaller rims with higher profile tyres....

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, sidewall compliance makes a huge amount of difference to grip. This is why drag racers and F1 cars run decent sidewalls.

Unfortunately the aftermarket see's a touring car and thinks to replicate that setup they need to drop their suspension and run low profile tyres.. It's a completely difference package!

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,869 Posts
gt_sjo said:
Yeah, sidewall compliance makes a huge amount of difference to grip. This is why drag racers and F1 cars run decent sidewalls.

Unfortunately the aftermarket see's a touring car and thinks to replicate that setup they need to drop their suspension and run low profile tyres.. It's a completely difference package!
It makes sense when you think about it. I guess one reason to go to 18 inch rims to if you want to fit bigger brakes....

G

·
GT86Owner said:
I guess one reason to go to 18 inch rims to if you want to fit bigger brakes....
Maybe bigger brakes are needed for the additional grip from bigger/wider tyres... and so it continues.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think if I ever find the OEM brakes to fade, i'll probably look at water sprays before changing the disc/caliper package. I don't want to frig with the ABS/EBD computer too much.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I would think improved discs and pads would be the next step if you get fade on standard brakes :)

On a standard car, on track, usually the brakes will be the first thing to start giving up. You just do a cool down lap or two, then let the car rest stopped for a while, then can go back at it!

On the road if you're getting fade you either have a sticky calliper, warn out pads/discs or you're a loon :D

G

·
Pretty sure that's what Iain Litchfield was running on his BRZ at Combe last week, but that was set up for track. Driver said it handled very well, but I suspect a little harsh to say the least on road.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.