GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my dealer was good to his word! Picked up my red, leather, manual GR86 on Tuesday. So far absolutely loving it!! Dealer said notti bother about running the engine in but manual advises you do so I've decided to keep her under 4000 rpm for at least the first 500 miles. No problems found so far but I'll keep you all posted.
A brilliant car and such a head-turner!!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Congrats!! But, seriously, there is a north south divide here. and not in a good way

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Drhoyle said:
Well, my dealer was good to his word! Picked up my red, leather, manual GR86 on Tuesday. So far absolutely loving it!! Dealer said notti bother about running the engine in but manual advises you do so I've decided to keep her under 4000 rpm for at least the first 500 miles. No problems found so far but I'll keep you all posted.
A brilliant car and such a head-turner!!
well done! I've gone for red too.

Got any pics?

·
Registered
18 Posts
With modern rngines there is no need to run them in and engines that are run hard from day one generally develop more power. The first thing that happens to your car when it comes off the production line s that it's redlined in every gear so your wasting your time running it in.

G

·
Mack2802 said:
With modern rngines there is no need to run them in and engines that are run hard from day one generally develop more power. The first thing that happens to your car when it comes off the production line s that it's redlined in every gear so your wasting your time running it in.
Let us know your reg so we know which to avoid second hand.

Clearly, the engine is started and maybe maxed out briefly on a jig before installing but to say that qualifies as running in is just silly. Sorry mate, just my opinion.
I'll be keeping revs down for the first few hundred miles and slowly increasing over the next few hundred. More importantly, I'll avoid short sub-five minute runs where the engine fails to get to temperature - that'll probably do more harm than revving the nuts off it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
lordgrover said:
Mack2802 said:

Clearly, the engine is started and maybe maxed out briefly on a jig before installing but to say that qualifies as running in is just silly. Sorry mate, just my opinion.
I'll be keeping revs down for the first few hundred miles and slowly increasing over the next few hundred. More importantly, I'll avoid short sub-five minute runs where the engine fails to get to temperature - that'll probably do more harm than revving the nuts off it.

This is pretty stupid advice. If you want to risk damaging your engine then go ahead and do this. It clearly has a running in procedure in the manual.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
R32 GTR said:
lordgrover said:
Mack2802 said:

This is pretty stupid advice. If you want to risk damaging your engine then go ahead and do this. It clearly has a running in procedure in the manual.
I agree R32 GTR. Why would Toyota go to the trouble of issuing running-in adviceif we didn't have to.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
en8wall said:
R32 GTR said:
lordgrover said:
Mack2802 said:

I agree R32 GTR. Why would Toyota go to the trouble of issuing running-in adviceif we didn't have to.
To saves themselves the hastle of a law suit whne someone rags a hell out of their new car and something on the engine breaks.

It may well loosen the engine up a bit better during breakin by giving it some beans, but it also risks over stressing some of the components. Steel takes a bit of temp and stress cycling before it gets to it most rigid hardest state.

If you drive it hard right from delivery you may well be decreasing the life of some of the more stressed engine components.

Edited by: GT86Owner

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Most People will agree that it does no harm and does more good to Run the Engine in and lets face it...it wont take long will it and you get the benefit of knowing you did the right thing as well...i for 1 will be running mine in when i get it in Sept

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Celica66 said:
Most People will agree that it does no harm and does more good to Run the Engine in and lets face it...it wont take long will it and you get the benefit of knowing you did the right thing as well...i for 1 will be running mine in when i get it in Sept
This.

Why risk your £28k car.....

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
To be fair there is good evidence to suggest that ensuring that the piston rings are well sealed bodes well for a long lasting engine with minimal oil consumption. This is generally achieved by running in the engine hard.

A few years ago (2008) I bought a Panda 100hp new. By 50 miles I'd had it up to 5000rpm, I varied the load and used revs, rather than cruising. By the time I'd done 400 miles I was redlining it.

There was another member on the forum who got his car about the same time as me. He decided to take it very easy never going over 3000rpm for the first 1000 miles and then gradually increasing the rpm. I think he was still running it in at 3000miles.

His car drank oil, mine didn't. Interestingly I generally had lower oil usage than my peers who had been 'gentle' with the run in.

Now, don't think I just redlined my car off the forecourt, because it was nothing like that, but I used revs, some full throttle and importantly lifted off and let the car slow at higher engine speeds. But, by 500 miles I had it run in.

I guess you take your choices. The advice I had from my dealer was just to drive it 'normally'!

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Yes but i guess buting a new one is quite common as they dont last long anyway..

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Lauren said:
To be fair there is good evidence to suggest that ensuring that the piston rings are well sealed bodes well for a long lasting engine with minimal oil consumption. This is generally achieved by running in the engine hard.

A few years ago (2008) I bought a Panda 100hp new. By 50 miles I'd had it up to 5000rpm, I varied the load and used revs, rather than cruising. By the time I'd done 400 miles I was redlining it.

There was another member on the forum who got his car about the same time as me. He decided to take it very easy never going over 3000rpm for the first 1000 miles and then gradually increasing the rpm. I think he was still running it in at 3000miles.

His car drank oil, mine didn't. Interestingly I generally had lower oil usage than my peers who had been 'gentle' with the run in.

Now, don't think I just redlined my car off the forecourt, because it was nothing like that, but I used revs, some full throttle and importantly lifted off and let the car slow at higher engine speeds. But, by 500 miles I had it run in.

I guess you take your choices. The advice I had from my dealer was just to drive it 'normally'!
While this was true a few years back, I dont believe piston ring sealing is a concern now.

The fact that some of the people on the forum used more oil, well that can depend on the driving. For example lots of small journeys or using alot of throttle when it cold....

I am gongi to drive mine normally. As in how I normally drive my daily driver not as I will drive the GT86 normally, after it run in

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
At the end of the day we all have our own opinion on weather to run in the engine or not and only time will tell if indeed anyone is better off or not i guess...

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Celica66 said:
At the end of the day we all have our own opinion on weather to run in the engine or not and only time will tell if indeed anyone is better off or not i guess...
No, I am right
. Just kidding. But it nice to be able to discuss these things with owners/potential owners....

·
Registered
363 Posts
Mack2802 said:

The engines are not put under heavy load though. When running in your own engine you are putting a lot more stress through it carrying 1300kg's minimum.

Sure you may bed in the rings nicely going to redline immediately, and perhaps do not need to run in carefully for a full 1000miles, but I for one will be taking a bit of due care for the first 500 miles and would advise anyone else to do the same.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I believe the important element of running in an engine is to not put the engine under too much load. That generally means running a lower gear for longer and not asking the engine to strain at low revs/high load.
The rev limit is somewhat spurious - the essence is to not stress the engine under load. This is actually easier with a free revving engine as most load is put on the engine when asking for torque at low revs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts