GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this clip on you tube which is self explanatory. The guy is doing this on a Scion FRS (US Gt86) so i assume it will apply to ours.
You can set when rev limiter light comes on and whether you want a buzzer too. Also mentions gear change up reminder that was news to me. [TUBE]fB9dcC9dl3w[/TUBE]

Edited by: en8wall

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Is there an option for setting UK cars for economy , or is it a US emissions type thing?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I had this on my RS250. To be honest I thought it a bit of a gimmick and once "played" with, I never really touched again as it had no real practical value.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't know. How I understood it is its just something that tells you when's best to change gear, at the start it mentions that it's deactivated and you go through the procedure to activate it. The rev light sounds like a good thing to set not so sure about buzzer. Gear change indicator will be pointless in my auto unless it also works with manual paddle shift.

It'll be something to read up on when we get our cars.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The gear change indicator in the RS250 is so unusable, it always pointed to a different gear I was in! I just switched it off in the end.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
My Dads Auris has gear shift indicator. The slightest touch of the throttle in 5th gear it wants you to shift down! I can beat the fuel economy by driving my own way!

Personally I think both things are a gimmick. The rev counter is big enoguh to see and if you cant see it you can cirtainly hear what rpm your doing

Asa side note. Torque drops off so quickly after 7000 RPM it not worth holding much longer.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thank god you can turn the bloody buzzer off. I was preparing to delve under the dash and start chopping wires if need be.

G

·
Change light is more useful on something like my Zed.It revs to c. 7,700RPM but peak power is c. 5,500RPM.
While it's useful to be able to hold or increase the revs mid corner without worry, revving past 5,500 is pretty much a waste of time/fuel/money in most circumstances.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Adam at Lancaster Toyota Chelmsford showed me the rev limiter adjustmet. Can be useful for the first 500/1,000 miles without going over 4,000 rpm. Not heard of the economy gear changing advice though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've just set the gear indicator today .. I guess is useful to get an idea when to change the gears for the best mpg. We'll see if my version of economical driving matches the car's computer :)I personally prefer the buzzer so I can focus on the road ahead instead of the display...set it at 7200.
Note : the gear indicator setting is only available with the engine off , just press once on the start/stop but not enough to start the engine; then follow the instructions as seen in the video.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
It's too easy to miss upshift warning in 1st gear, and speed grows too slow for it to be of much use over basic rev counter in top gears. I'd put it as some max-100rpm and leave it there, without using/relying on it. Without audio beep, to not annoy one when gears need frequently switched. Some flashing in peripheral vision may help getting used to/feeling nearing of redline/acceleration cut. Of course i don't intend actually looking at it/monitoring it.
As for gear indicator .. there is no harm in having it but of course not much use for it either. It's displayed as extra, not instead of other readings. As for need - in most cases driver knows/remembers/feels better which gear currently in, and as Ade wrote, one can drive more economically then what it suggests. It may have use as extra information if one takes video from inside of the car, to ease other seeing what gear it is. What i hate though, that gear number changes only with big lag, when one depresses clutch, not when actual gear switch happens.

Edited by: church

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Isn't that rpm warning introduced somewhat because it was in original hachiroku? If one remembers that bell 'ding' from Initial D ..

·
Registered
977 Posts
church said:
Isn't that rpm warning introduced somewhat because it was in original hachiroku? If one remembers that bell 'ding' from Initial D ..

Certainly not on the early cars they sold in the UK.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts