GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a bit of aggro with the dealer I bought my GT86 from.
As you all know, I bought my car back in May, and had an email last week telling me it was due for a service.
A few details:

Car registered 21st Jan 2020 (Supplied by the dealer I bought it from)
Paperwork for 1st service 29th Jan 2021 (2365mls)
Taken back by the dealer at some point between then.
I purchased the car May 2022 (3672mls)
Then get an email a week or so ago stating "our records show your vehicle is due for a service soon"
At the time of purchase, I was told that they keep all their dealer supplied vehicles service records online, and as it was an established Toyota main dealer, I (maybe foolishly) trusted them.

I've been arguing with them since I got the email as to why the car wasn't serviced before I bought it.
They say that due to the mileage, it didn't need one, my argument being it hasn't had a service since 2021!!!
I would have thought that to keep the Toyota 5 year warranty valid, it should have had a service before I bought it. After all, there was still over 2 and a half years left on it.
They're still refusing to service it unless I pay for it, which I don't think I should have to, as it was bought as a Toyota approved used car from a main Toyota dealer.
(I won't name and shame just yet, I'm still hoping they'll eventually come around to my way of thinking)

·
Registered
BRZ (MY2016), Caterham 7
62 Posts
The service interval is 12 months or 9k miles, whichever occurs first. The owners manuals are quite clear about that. It should have had a service in January 2022. The argument that it hasn't reached a mileage so doesn't need a service is in my opinion completely irrelevant and it would not surprise me at all if it was something a warranty claim could be denied for.

With that said, it's unfortunate you weren't able to fully chase down the service history when you bought it. I don't understand why July/August is suddenly the time they chase you about a service, but unless you can prove they lied to you about it being serviced before you bought it, my gut says I think you'll have to pay for it purely based on the amount of time that's elapsed a) since it was supposed to have been serviced and b) since you bought it. I'd try speaking with someone higher up the food chain though and see if there's some good will available, since it doesn't look good for the approved used scheme at all.

Keep making noise!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Its time or distance what ever comes earlier. You should raise it with Toyota UK HQ team to make sure they do it and also honour the warranty, if ever needed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I've been to the dealers to shout at them today.
Turns out that half of their systems hadn't updated.
It was serviced Jan 21 as I already mentioned, and then they serviced it when it was taken in part exchange in SEPT 21
It has then sat on their forecourt until I bought it this May.
Still seems a very strange way to do it though, unless they were hoping to shift the car pretty quickly after taking it back.
On a brighter note, the shouting seemed to work. They're doing this service free of charge (as a goodwill gesture as they put it) and supplying a physical service book, not the online only crap that they use.
Even though it's sorted, still left a bit of a sour taste, especially as this is one of the largest Toyota dealers in our area. Luckily, my local Toyota dealer will be taking care of the car in the future.

Mine has just had it's 80,000 mile service at 50,000 miles as it's a 2013 model. If you register your care on the MyToyota site, it should bring up all your Toyota service records etc.Official Toyota Website | New and Used Cars | Toyota UK
You've just reminded me of another problem lol
I have registered the car with MyToyota, but when I try to input the type (as per the instructions) for verification, it doesn't recognise it.
Going to have a word with my local dealer to see if it can be rectified.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts