GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I've not used Tom Tom in many years but I do miss it, alwayspreferred it but now I'm using Copilot as Tom Tom isn't available on Android yet. As for dashboard mounts, check my thread out:

http://www.gt86ownersclub.co.uk/forum/central-dash-material-for-phone-holder_topic321.html

Works a treat, you can get different types of holders (even ones specific to Tom Tom nav units I believe) but it's all about the tacky, rubbery suction cup that fixes onto many surface types and does not need a perfectly smooth shiny surface as well as the fact that you can have the neck of the unit hang down which means no visual obstructions. Worth noting though is that because the dash is a soft touch leather/rubber like surface, the suction cup does leave a circular print on the surface (probably due to the suction/vacuum pressure) but I keep the mount on there all the time.

Edited by: Keethos

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've got a tomtom 120 live and it's great takes me round all traffic and problems easy to use. 100 times better than the 1 that comes with my Volvo it by far is the worst sav nav system ever.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Waiting for a Brodit mount for my TomTom, currently using one of those non-slip bean bag mounts on the dash, which we use when in the Wife's Galaxy as well (as it's Ford SatNav isn't as good as TomTom)

Seeing the issues there have been about getting the latest maps for the £750 Toyota option, I'm glad I was too tight to go for the built in !

Alec

Just checked and Brodit now have one for the FR-S down as under development

Brodit siteEdited by: keelerad

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Brodit emailed me to say it would never happen

Great news if it is

I 'll be sticking with copilot.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
keelerad said:
Waiting for a Brodit mount for my TomTom, currently using one of those non-slip bean bag mounts on the dash, which we use when in the Wife's Galaxy as well (as it's Ford SatNav isn't as good as TomTom)

Seeing the issues there have been about getting the latest maps for the £750 Toyota option, I'm glad I was too tight to go for the built in !

Alec

Brodit site

Does the sat nav move around or is that base stuck to dash?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
The bottom bit has a heavy bean bag round the edge and underneath is a rubber nonslip finish (I got that one from Tesco's).

Didn't shift even when I had my big tankslapper yesterday (My fault not the car's, in sports mode and booted it to deliberately provoke it on a wet A537, back end side to side about 4 times, ooops
)

AlecEdited by: keelerad

·
Registered
655 Posts
I disliked TomTom intensely - especially when the unit went crazy towards the end of every journey.

Website was unintelligible - looked like it was set up by a dope fiend.

I currently use a Snooper S2000which I really like, but understand Garmin are usually the units of choice these days.

Or Goooogle - it's free.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So checking on pistonheads it seems like the navfree app and waz are the way to go.

The ODB bluetooth thing to get gauges on a larger tablet device like a nexus 7 sounds intriguing, has anyone done this and does it continue to run off the battery when the ignition is off? Something like they have for the mission R electric motorbike on android would be excellent.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
The OBD port is usually permanent live, so anything plugged into it will be drawing power all the time.

G

·
GT86 said:
So checking on pistonheads it seems like the navfree app and waz are the way to go.

The ODB bluetooth thing to get gauges on a larger tablet device like a nexus 7 sounds intriguing, has anyone done this and does it continue to run off the battery when the ignition is off? Something like they have for the mission R electric motorbike on android would be excellent.

I think Waze.

G

·
keelerad said:

Alec

Brodit site
Seeing that set-up, I'm glad I stumped up for Touch & Go, despite my issues getting it updated FOC.

·
Registered
655 Posts
GT86 said:

Bloody hell - Navfree looks good.

Just about every shatnav cannot find its friends in the sky up Smoke - having the maps downloaded & a chance it may triangulate from the radio cells insteadgives one a hope in hell of finding the destination.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
i used Nav Free on my i pad a few weeks ago and worked very well

Good app for free and camera data is a small price to pay for it as well

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
lordgrover said:
Seeing that set-up, I'm glad I stumped up for Touch & Go, despite my issues getting it updated FOC. 
It's only temporary (waiting for the Brodit) and it does at least have this years maps and speed cameras, without having to give my car back to the dealer.

Alec

·
Registered
364 Posts
GT86 said:
Your right camera data for navfree is a bargain.

Looks like tom tom have an app but its 50 quid plus extra add ons.
The tomtom app is expensive and plus you need to pay each month for traffic and speed cameras but the hd traffic data is a real time saver, I haven't found anything that compares. I really regret taking the nav option, I may get some use if I go to Europe and don't want to get hit by phone data charges but can't see it will be used much as it is a long way behind the tomtom app.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Google maps/navigate is pretty good! I tend to use that for run of the mill stuff to check traffic, but do switch to CoPilot for a longer/unknown journey (for no other reason really than i've bought it).

G

·
jimgreen83 said:
GT86 said:
Your right camera data for navfree is a bargain.  

Looks like tom tom have an app but its 50 quid plus extra add ons.
The tomtom app is expensive and plus you need to pay each month for traffic and speed cameras but the hd traffic data is a real time saver, I haven't found anything that compares. I really regret taking the nav option, I may get some use if I go to Europe and don't want to get hit by phone data charges but can't see it will be used much as it is a long way behind the tomtom app.
I've never used Tom Tom but the T&G is on a par with my Garmin. Even though my maps are over a year old, the scameras around here are still current and the traffic jam rerouting is way better. Plus, it's built in tithe dash so beat, tidy and safe.
I suppose it's a case of never had, can't miss with the Tom Tom.
What features are missing?

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
I think I have a great set - up :TomTom on my iPhone 4 - thanks to the bluetooth audio, the instruction come loud and clear over the speakers meaning I don't really need to look at it. Brilliant !

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.