GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Can you fit Roof Bars or aTow Ball to the GT86. Thinking of ordering one but need to use it for Mountain Biking at the weekends. Also do the rear seats fold down. Managed with a TT 2 for the past 4 years so should be no problem.
</font>

</font>

·
Registered
13 Posts
Several articles and press releases have said the rear seats fold down.

The Japanese designer said he hoped that owners would use that to carry spare wheels for track days!

·
Registered
278 Posts
The rear seat does fold down. It's not split, so you have it fully up or down. Practically though that is the only way you could use the boot space anyway.
The rear window though is FIXED and does not move. This means that the boot lid opening is not tall. This car is no typical hatchback then.
Yes, a set of track day wheels will fit in. But for day to day use, you'd get a couple of medium suitcases or a few bags of shopping from Tesco.
I guess if you want to lug around loads of gear, a sportscar is the wrong choice and a family hatchback or estate car is the choice.Edited by: Speedymurr

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm interested to see if its possible to squeeze a mountain bike in the back as well. Taking off both wheels, I reckon it will be close. will be tricky with the small opening though. I don't do it often but it is nice to have the option.

·
Registered
278 Posts
ChesterfieldGT86 said:
Hi all 
Can you fit Roof Bars or a Tow Ball to the GT86.  Thinking of ordering one but need to use it for Mountain Biking at the weekends. Also do the rear seats fold down. Managed with a TT 2 for the past 4 years so should be no problem.<font size="3" face="Times New Roman"> 
</font><p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;" ="Msonormal"><span style='color: black; line-height: 115%; font-family: "Verdana","sans-serif"; font-size: 7pt; mso-ansi-: EN;' lang="EN"></span> <font size="3" face="Times New Roman">

</font>

The dealer I'm buying from is getting a towbar fitted to my GT86. It's a non-Toyota towbar as none of the standard ones will fit.
I have a small lightweight caravan and plan to tow that. Let's me store a couple if bikes in that while towing too.

So I'll be the one at the Aviemore owners meet with the caravan in tow. But you'll see the towbar there yourself.Edited by: Speedymurr

·
Registered
119 Posts
In a similar position regarding getting an MTB in . . . with the rear seat back laid flat and the front passenger seat fully forward I think an option will be to get a bike (minus wheels and seat post, and packed in a soft bike bag) in though the passenger door, then rotate to lay flat into the bootspace; the boot opening doesn't look wide enough to get a bike through. Might also have to remove the pedals . . . will have a good play when my ordered-yesterday car arrives

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I've seem half a dosen pics of folks fitting racers, MTBs, 29'ers, fixies inside the car, in most cases only taking out the front wheel.

Great if I'm alone, but would also like a solution for outside, either when a buddy wants to come along, or when I need to have other stuff in the car.

·
Registered
887 Posts
There was a guy on ft8club with a roofrack fitted but I can't find the thread (that forum is HUGE), otherwise I'm pretty sure you should be able to get an MTB in with only one wheel off through the boot. If you take both wheels off you should be able to get a passenger / other stuff in the car no problems... I haven't tried it mind...

As for a towbar, apparently they can be fitted but I'm not sure what your warranty would look like if you drivetrain gave up due to the extra strain - I don't think fitting a towbar to this car is approved by Toyota...

·
Registered
210 Posts
A Saris Bones 3 bike rack fits the '86... i saw a pic of one fitted.. think it was on here somewhere

thats probably your best bet for bikes

In fact HERE you go ;)

·
Registered
134 Posts
It's been a while since this thread has been active and I've been trying to scour the internet but am having little luck. Any body found a roof rack/roof bars that fit? It can be attached. Obv I've seen a few pictures but nobody that actually sells them. Anybody?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Cheers mate. I think I flash read this post a while ago. By the looks of it they've mix and matched items using the Q towers and buying separately. I'll have to investigate

·
Registered
119 Posts
Can confrim that bikes fit in through the boot opening quite easily - fold the rear seat flat and take the wheels off the bike and it'll fit in easy (have now triedthis with several different large/XL bikes - road and MTB - and not had a problem with getting any of them in) - rear triangle in first, which leaves the forks to runparallel to the boot cill.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts