GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,

For those that have been following the "Parking sensors" thread, may know that I have contacted a "Radio wiring harness guru" under the name of SVXdc from the FT86Club forum with regards to sourcing head unit adaptor harnesses that allows us to connect a reversing camera to our OEM head units, here is the initial contact:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=467667&postcount=4

Followed by a dedicated thread for our head units:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18608

There are still a couple of things that we're still trying to sort/figure out but it seems that this harness - Link - which he has already created for the American Subaru BRZ Nav head unit "should"work with our head units as well. I'll be ordering a camera soonish and will be waiting for him to send over a harness for me to try out (one that will by-pass the parking brake by grounding it).

While we're trying to sort this out, I wanted to give you guys the heads up and try and get some numbers of how many people would like a 16-pin rear camera harness?

This is what he's quoted so far:

-----------------------------------
The following shipping methods are available from the US Postal Service:

* First Class International is $5 (for one harness), or higher depending on total weight. That is estimated to take 2 to 3 weeks.

* Priority Mail International is $18.75, and is estimated to take 6 to 10 business days.

Insurance, tracking, and delivery confirmation are not available with either of the above two methods. I have shipped many orders those ways without any problems, but if your parcel is lost or damaged I won't be able to do very much.

* Express Mail International (EMS), with insurance and tracking, is $38.00 (for up to 8oz and $100 value), and is estimated to take 3 to 5 business days.

I'm currently charging $20 for the 16-pin harness with parking brake bypass lead.

That's already fairly low considering the time and material costs I've put in. If I start getting swamped with orders from owners with various other Toyota models who discover that my harness will also work for them, I may actually raise the price a little.

For an order of 10 or more, I might be willing to discount that slightly, but you'll mainly save on the shared shipping (e.g., EMS divided by 15 people will run less than $3.00 each).

For a large order, I'd really prefer to use EMS, to gain the tracking and insurance.
-----------------------------------

In the thread, I've also mentioned which camera I'm looking at getting:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251096553135?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Which I'm hoping will simply replace one of the existing license plate lights then hang down and peak out of the boot lip.

Let me know what you think and I'll keep you all posted!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also, could anyone who is interested in this that has NAV possibly help out at all?

Firstly could you start up your car, hold the "Setup" button on your head unit and turn the lights on and off 3 times until you get the hidden menu, tap "Next page" and then stick the car into reverse and see if the "REV" turns from "OFF" to "ON".

Secondly, for those who's up for it, could you please remove the head unit and take a couple of pics of:
<ul>[*]Entire front of HU (with all printing readable)[*]Entire rear of HU (with all harnesses disconnected and out of view, all sockets clearly visible)[*]Entire top or bottom of HU (side with manufacturer's label, with everything clearly legible. If you're paranoid, you can hide the last few digits of the S/N)[*]A look into the dash opening, showing all of the harness and antenna plugs as clearly as possible.[*]Factory 16-pin harness, looking straight down at the top -- clearly showing all wires. Also one more looking at the back. All with no hands in the picture. If there are more than two wires, I may ask for a couple more shots.[*]Factory 28-pin harness, looking straight at the top and straight at the bottom, with a strip of white paper or thin cardboard inserted between the two rows of wires -- so each picture only shows the single row nearest to the camera (pins 1-14 in one shot, and pins 15-28 in the second).[*]The 28-pin that is connected to the head unit will most probably be an extension/adaptor so if possible, trace this back to the native 28-pin connection, disconnect it and take some clear pictures as well please.[/list]

Ideally all photos with no hands in the frame, pictures should be well-lit, in focus, and large enough to make out all of the details.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
79 Posts
If the fitting instructions were really easy I would be interested in this.
Trust me I am a complete amateur when it comes to car extras so it would need to be very simple please

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
FRODO said:
Trust me I am a complete amateur when it comes to car extras so it would need to be very simple please
It is not going to be a simple fit, you will need to be able to route the cable from behind the Touch and Go head unit all the way to the boot lid.

If there are any proper ICE (In Car Entertainment) shops in your area you might be able to ask them if they would do it for you, but they might not be keen unless you offered a a decent fee to fit it, as they won't be making anything on the parts.

Or if you can get to talk to one of their guys who does the fitting, he might willing to do it in his own time for the right compensation.

Alec
Edited by: keelerad

·
Registered
79 Posts
keelerad said:
FRODO said:
It is not going to be a simple fit, you will need to be able to route the cable from behind the Touch and Go head unit all the way to the boot lid.

If there are any proper ICE (In Car Entertainment) shops in your area you might be able to ask them if they would do it for you, but they might not be keen unless you offered a a decent fee to fit it, as they won't be making anything on the parts.

Or if you can get to talk to one of their guys who does the fitting, he might willing to do it in his own time for the right compensation.

Alec
I've been having a ponder on this and was thinking that if the camera is a standard fit on the GT's in Europe would the wiring loom not still be in the UK models?
I mean why would they develop a completely different wiring loom for just the UK batch?
Unless it is a right hand/left hand drive thing.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've received the new harness however I still (over a month later) have not received my camera yet so can't try the harness out yet. Before I do a full install, I'll be doing some tests first for the guy who supplied me the harness. I'll keep you all up to date with my progress but probably won't be doing anything till the new year now.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Keethos said:
I've received the new harness however I still (over a month later) have not received my camera yet so can't try the harness out yet. Before I do a full install, I'll be doing some tests first for the guy who supplied me the harness. I'll keep you all up to date with my progress but probably won't be doing anything till the new year now.

This is a really interesting development!

I spoke with my local guy who wired in my 'front parking sensors' from scratch. Unlike most tradesmen, he didn't suck on his teeth, shake his head and mentally count pound notes... he pondered it, brightened up and believes he canextend the rear mounted sensor wiring into the HU and, with the right software, it'll work. Could save a whole harness rewire...

Keith, let's see how you get on. If you can 'grab' the wiring diagram my guy says he can fathom in five minutes whether his idea will work or no...

SpecK

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
The cameras are normally dirt cheap but they don't go for the fastest shipping (they might literally come on the slow boat from China)!

Just got my bluetooth OBD dongle from China, but the weather has been so dark and wet can't be arsed to go out and plug it in the car yet.

Alec

·
Registered
787 Posts
keelerad said:
The cameras are normally dirt cheap but they don't go for the fastest shipping (they might literally come on the slow boat from China)!

Just got my bluetooth OBD dongle from China, but the weather has been so dark and wet can't be arsed to go out and plug it in the car yet.

Alec
Just got mine a couple of days back. Works well with Torque on my Android phone... Yours wouldn't happen to be the ELM327 Mini by any chance? All I need now is a bigger screen phone as my Desire S is a little small for multiple meters...

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
This is the one I got

Alec

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, like Alec said, I got one from a seller from China, plus it was free shipping so they probably have chosen the slowest option there, but I did ask him to get me a CCD one without built in guidelines in a certain style (to replace one of the reverse parking lights).

Special K, I don't have any proper wiring diagrams, but if you need pictures of the existing wiring then check out the threads I posted in my first post. The guy on that thread is the one who's supplied me with the new harness (just a couple of extra wires with a yellow RGB female connection).

I'll keep you all posted......hmmmm.....may get one of these OBD's.....hmmmm

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Keethos said:
Yeah, like Alec said, I got one from a seller from China, plus it was free shipping so they probably have chosen the slowest option there, but I did ask him to get me a CCD one without built in guidelines in a certain style (to replace one of the reverse parking lights).

Special K, I don't have any proper wiring diagrams, but if you need pictures of the existing wiring then check out the threads I posted in my first post.  The guy on that thread is the one who's supplied me with the new harness (just a couple of extra wires with a yellow RGB female connection).

I'll keep you all posted......hmmmm.....may get one of these OBD's.....hmmmm
There are loads of different versions of these, what we need is someone in China/Hong Kong with an '86/BRZ who can pop along to one of the distributors and offer a few up for size to work out which one is the easisest fit (or someone here with a bottomless wallet to order one of each and try them!)

Alec

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
I too like so many would like a reversing camera but I want it to connect to car stereo unit ....do any of these on here do that?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.