GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This point has been previously highlighted in another topic (Enwall??), but I don't think it has one to itself. 
I had another look at a GT86 and noticed both rear wheel arches did have two holes in the painted bumper edge - presumably for mudflap fixings.  However the front wheelarches have plastic fixings in place, which appear to be for the front wheel arch trim.  See photos below.

Has anyone had a response yet from Toyota, whether these will be a potential corrosion issue?
Edited by: Speedymurr

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Speedy

There won't be a corrosion issue, the holes are in the rear bumper which is plastic.

I've emailed head of Toyota PR over a week ago about this and rear badges and guess what, no reply. I'll try again later in the week if I don't hear back. Because there are no fixings the wheel arch liner is slightly loose.

Edited by: en8wall

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Just had this response from Toyota on rear wheel arch holes........
The product team are aware of the concerns you have. I can't say what, if
anything will change or when.

mmmmmmmm

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read that as - " us at Toyota are aware of customers complaining,but we are going to ignore them and hope they eventually go away".

How can we raise this more directly with Toyota, if their customer service team only give bland and useless responses?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
This was the head of PR that responded to me.
Seems product department are now aware.
Next up would be to someone further up, Chief Exec etc but we need them to have a fair chance first.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We need a direct input and then response from their product team.

Can't say I'm too happy with rattled rear wheel arch liners, having looked at a car myself (and that was a BRZ!)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Speedymurr said:
We need a direct input and then response from their product team.

Can't say I'm too happy with rattled rear wheel arch liners, having looked at a car myself (and that was a BRZ!)
Speedy

This is the PR team and they havea product & technical section.

http://media.toyota.co.uk/pr_team/

Only thing I can suggest is phone Toyota UK and ask to be put through to Product Team and see if they're aware and find out what they have planned.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Might be off their radar

And mine

Ok it's a little untidy but not a showstopper and clearly weight saving

·
Registered
877 Posts
Can't understand what the problem is, if that's how it's supposed to be then whats the problem? Just gives you the option of having mud flaps if you want.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The rear wheel arch liners are loose.

I had another look at this issue with actually a BRZ last week. Simply gently poking the wheel arch liners causes them to move and rattle. I don't want a loose part that rattles on my new car. What makes it more annoying is that Toyota don't appear to making any public statement on the matter.

Edited by: Speedymurr

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
On other cars I've had, whenever there has been a whole for mudflaps to be fitted it has either been covered by a blanking cover or a screw clip that holds the arch and wheel arch liner tightly together giving strength to that area. On the GT86 there is neither, the holes are there and the liner is not fixed to the wheel arch so it is all slightly loose in that area.
A few of us have noticed it on other posts (see demos at dealers thread Page 4 for pics) http://www.gt86ownersclub.co.uk/forum/list-of-demo-cars-at-dealers_topic159_page4.html

It's not the end of the world, just a bit glumsy & unfinished for a £25k car - two screw-clips would solve the problem which is why it's a bit frustrating Clips like these appear to be whats needed. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIX118-6mm-SCREW-RIVET-SCRIVET-FIXING-CAR-TRIM-BODY-PANEL-CLIP-x12-/320869822350?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ab554ef8e

I'm still as excited as hellto getmy car!

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Speedymurr said:

I had another look at this issue with actually a BRZ last week. Simply gently poking the wheel arch liners causes them to move and rattle. I don't want a loose part that rattles on my new car. What makes it more annoying is that Toyota don't appear to making any public statement on the matter.
Did you see any with mud flaps? Just wondering if they post out the rattling problem. They could make a plastic cap to go in place of the mud flap.

·
Registered
877 Posts
If they don't rattle enough to cause any noise in the cabin and are secure enough to stay in place I won't be concerned, I'm sure I could make plenty of parts rattle on my Scirocco if I went poking around, especially the wheel arches where the arch liners are in-fact fabric and move around a fair bit.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Speedymurr said:

Why do you think it is so light? Plastic wheel liners are a part of that play and they don't need to be rigid.

Last week i spotted the transmission tunnel under sparse carpet in the rear.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
All it needs is 4 plastic clips per car on the production line and we wouldn't be having this conversation. Next time you see a GT86/BRZ (Icantafford excluded as you have one) just tap the rear wheel arch at this place with your hand and you'll notice thelack of rigidty.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The more loose parts in the car, especially somewhere like the wheel arches, the more road noise there will be.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
You've ordered / bought the wrong car; it is not a refinement play.

In fact I've never experienced so much external noise in any car before.

Love it personally

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Right. I hadn't realised it was a deliberate design feature by Toyota to make lots of components badly fitting in order to create as much road noise as possible.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Speedymurr said:
Right. I hadn't realised it was a deliberate design feature by Toyota to make lots of components badly fitting in order to create as much road noise as possible.
No, it's just that there is not much to parts of the car

1 - 20 of 47 Posts