GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, was playing about with the sound system and faded completely to the rear speakers and I think that these are only High mid -range tweeters rather than normal speakers - anyone else notice this or am I missing something?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hi guys,

Anyone have a link to the actual spec. of the sound system?

It looks lile the US cars are quite different from ours, so the main forum may be of little help - I cannot even ascertain the output of the Touch too Much...

Unsurprisingly, I believe the speakers may benefit from a little reinforcement, if there's a reasonable output. It's just like our pile of old Hondas...

·
Registered
51 Posts
cleloid said:
Hi Guys, was playing about with the sound system and faded completely to the rear speakers and I think that these are only High mid -range tweeters rather than normal speakers - anyone else notice this or am I missing something?

I did exactly the same. Almost cried at how useless the rear speakers were.

Definately the most disappointing aspect of the car.

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,869 Posts
Well you dont need read speakers as none will be able to get in the back anyway!

I was surprised how powerful the touch system sounds actually (with a good source). I wonder if there is more power being channelled to the front. Perhaps it a 6 channel audio output and 4 are being used for the two front 6.5inch speakers and the two pairs of mid and treble speakers.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Don't get car audio, is there possibly a worse place to listen to music than a vibrating steel box with a motor attached?

As long as I can listen to Radio Bloke (been out since 1999 so why still no DAB as standard?) and my football podcasts I'm happy

Alec

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,869 Posts
For longer journeys, for example the 310 miles drive to my hometown, where you are just criusing its nice to have a sound system you can enjoy rather than making you ears bleed!

But for short "fun runs" who cares about the stereo right? The exhaust note is far more appealing

·
Registered
51 Posts
Maybe I'm a little spoilt as my last three cars had Harmon Kardon or Bose sound systems which were excellent. I know the quaility of a sound system is down to personal taste but the GT's speakers get 4 out of 10 from me!

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,869 Posts
Faz1 said:
Maybe I'm a little spoilt as my last three cars had Harmon Kardon or Bose sound systems which were excellent. I know the quaility of a sound system is down to personal taste but the GT's speakers get 4 out of 10 from me!
That interesting because the Touch and GO system is a Harmon Kardon system, the speaker are likely JBL ones. I thoguh it sounded pretty good for a standard audio system - to the point where I havent ordered a JBL (I might in future get it fitted). Did you listen using a good source?

Edited by: GT86Owner

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
keelerad said:
Don't get car audio, is there possibly a worse place to listen to music than a vibrating steel box with a motor attached?
And there-in is the challenge!

·
Registered
655 Posts
I don't believe in weighting down a lightweight sports with tons of sound deadening, x-overs, amps etc. It's a bit of a fool's errand, unless you enjoy that sort of thing.

However, mfr.s usually install the cheapest, nastiest speakers and anything with a better cone & decent magnet will improve response - particularly the mid-bases in the 86's doors.

They're not bad, but many Japanese cars seem to suffer from a thumping bass, but then a hollow until the mid-range. The one on my S2000 made me feel quite ill, until I dropped in some fairly basic Kenwoods.That's what presently I have in mind for UZU and why I'd like to know the full spec. It seems to be different from the USDM versions.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GT86Owner said:
Well you dont need read speakers as none will be able to get in the back anyway!

I was surprised how powerful the touch system sounds actually (with a good source). I wonder if there is more power being channelled to the front. Perhaps it a 6 channel audio output and 4 are being used for the two front 6.5inch speakers and the two pairs of mid and treble speakers.

Despite the rears being mid range?not that great on their own?- I still think alltogetherthe system sounds good, in fact my settings are only slightly tweaked, slight increase in bass & treble and 1 notch faded to the rears and to me this sounds great - I had a Celica with the premium sound system & S/W in the boot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.