GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have a question but before that, bit of background info, I plan on trading in my current car however the road tax is due to expire on the 30th September, but I might be picking the new car up on the 2nd of October, question is, is there actually a grace period when it comes to road tax or will I have to renew it before then?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
123 Posts
As far as I have heard there is an unwritten rule allowing 14 day leaway on renewing car tax, I would ask your dealer what they suggest they may say it will be ok not to renew it hopefully

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Renew it for 6 months then claim back 5 months as that is what i did...cheaper than a fine and points on licence...

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
You don't get points for no tax. Just a fine.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I don't believe there is any grace period on road tax.

Be a shame to get stopped by the BiB on the way to pick up your new car and get your part-ex car impounded.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmmmm, I don't why but I've got it in my head that if you ring them and tell them the situation, they'll give you a grace period, can't remember where I heard it from.....instead of forking out £137.50 for 6 months tax, might just go for it and spend £150 for 2 weeks temp insurance so I can pick it up on the 18th Sept so I won't have to worry about the road tax.

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Martin F said:
Be a shame to get stopped by the BiB on the way to pick up your new car and get your part-ex car impounded.

Your car won't be impounded it will just be reported to the DVLA and you'll get a fine.

No insurance is the only one that will get your car lifted.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Why oh why take the risk of driving a car that you knowingly will not tax
We are better than that on here arnt we?
Edited by: Celica66

·
Registered
223 Posts
Keethos said:
Hey all,

I have a question but before that, bit of background info, I plan on trading in my current car however the road tax is due to expire on the 30th September, but I might be picking the new car up on the 2nd of October, question is, is there actually a grace period when it comes to road tax or will I have to renew it before then?

Thanks guys!

I think its 5 days grace - but only if you have applied for the new Tax period

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.