GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow my '13 plate '86 is going for the 8yr/80k service. Just past 8yrs, but on 59k. Last service was July '19. complete speculation but just wondering if there are any big hitters I might expect to be discovered during the service? Brakes just replaced throughout, plugs and clutch in 2019.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Technically, they should replace your fuel filter at 8 yrs . Are you going to the main dealer with fixed price servicing?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I did take it to a main dealer - with the 20% saving from the '5+ Club' it worked out cheaper than the local Indy. I'll have to check the job sheet regarding the fuel filter, but everything seems to have been done, and with no issues!

There's a bit of rust on one of the exhaust joints, and there had previously been some suspension/sub frame surface rust but I had that treated prior to me buying the car.

Fairly pleased no little issues surfaced, and MOT is good til November.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Let us know on the fuel filter......

Does it drive any better now ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My apologies, I've been working away the last couple of weeks - I'll check the service record tomorrow and let you know.
To answer the other question - I don't think it drives any better, but then there wasn't anything wrong with it in the first place!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally got round to checking the service sheet and it looks like the fuel filter wasn’t changed. Think I’ll chase that up as for GT86 it says it should be done at 8 years or 80k. I’m just shy if 60k but it is 8 years old.

·
Registered
570 Posts
In there service manual, isn't there an asterisk next to the fuel filter? Saying it only needs changing in locations with poor fuel quality?

·
Registered
973 Posts
In there service manual, isn't there an asterisk next to the fuel filter? Saying it only needs changing in locations with poor fuel quality?
That is quite a subjective statement, isnt it. Someone might road trip the GT all across Europe and there may be bad batches of fuel. So i would say the dealership should either ask the customer of their driving pattern or as a matter of consistency, just change it. The debate is a bit like Oil debate, did you do 5K hard miles or 5K motorway miles, does not matter. Just get the oil changed yearly. Same with this, they should replace it when the time comes ( aka 8 yrs or 80K, which ever comes earlier)

·
Registered
570 Posts
I double checked the book and I was wrong! Apologies. The note I remembered was linked to adding fuel injector cleaner...
I've attached an image showing the note I remembered. Plus another showing how it says the fuel filter needs changing every "80,00 miles / 8 years", regardless of location.

That is quite a subjective statement, isnt it. Someone might road trip the GT all across Europe and there may be bad batches of fuel. So i would say the dealership should either ask the customer of their driving pattern or as a matter of consistency, just change it. The debate is a bit like Oil debate, did you do 5K hard miles or 5K motorway miles, does not matter. Just get the oil changed yearly. Same with this, they should replace it when the time comes ( aka 8 yrs or 80K, which ever comes earlier)
As I miss remembered, I have to agree, it should be changed.
That said... in a case of would a dealer choose to do something they weren't required to do, I can't see them doing so 😂

Fun story that happened to me... As the servicing at Toyota "fixed price", I had to ask why there was a "miscellaneous item" on my bill. Turns out, as I had an after market air filter, and thus Toyota didn't need to replace it. They need to add something to the bill, to make the price match up with the fixed price 🤦‍♂️

In terms of servicing, I'm very much onboard with doing so more often (within reason).

Edit:
Looking at the workshop manual, it seems to be integrated into the fuel pump assembly (See attached image).

The only part I can find listed is "PUMP ASSY, FUEL W/FILTER Genuine Toyota (SU00304154)", seen here on diagram 2.
As it includes the pump it's not cheap! Plus, I would have though there would be another filter in the system, rather than just the sock on the end of the pump? But it looks like it's a pretty decent filter on there?

Might have to do a bit of digging....

Edit Edit:
It's been well covered here...

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts