GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have just been searching some posts on other forums and have noticed a lot of people slagging the 86 and brz for not having enough power,i know a lot of people say the car is not about power,but what do you owners think having had a good chance to actually drive the car for any length of time,i had my third test drive today and cant seem to make up my own mind,considering i am trading in a 310 horsepower audi s3,i am just ready for a different type of car.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I find the power perfectly fine but this is the fastest car I've ever owned. Yes, the power is further up the rev range than turbo offerings. I test frove a TT 2.0FSi which was a lot quicker than the GT86 but a completely numb car to drive. The '86 will be slower than your S3 but it's a sports car and will make you smile.
I had the same concerns about power when I was about to order mine but now I have it I don't know what I was worrying about.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
i'm trading in 295 bhp as well. did it without even the slightest of doubts. what's the point of having all that power if you can only use half of it on the road?sure you can go to a track and thrash about a bit but isnt it more fun to be able to drive your car to the peak of its performance on a daily basis?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
en8wall said:
I find the power perfectly fine but this is the fastest car I've ever owned. Yes, the power is further up the rev range than turbo offerings. I test frove a TT 2.0FSi which was a lot quicker than the GT86 but a completely numb car to drive. The '86 will be slower than your S3 but it's a sports car and will make you smile.
I had the same concerns about power when I was about to order mine but now I have it I don't know what I was worrying about.
numb is a great word to express the way i was starting to feel about the s3,also the styling is starting to look outdated.

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,869 Posts
Whilst en8wall is right abotu the TT being quick it is marginal and you gear shirts will lose to more time....The GT86 can cover a 1/4 mile in less than 15s: (GT86 on the left, 14.78sec)

Also the 0-62 as published in europe is 6.9sec:

For reference quarter mile times from fast laps:

GT86: 15.3s

Audi TT 2.0TFSI: 14.6s

Golf GTI: 14.8s

Renault Megane RS mkIII: 14.2s

I have driven the TT as well as other low boost turbo'd cars and found that its pocky around town, but when you rev it out, unlike the GT86 where is has more power it actually doesnt feel like you gain anything because the torque falls off the cliff after 5k rpm.

It all personal opinion. As tada-san (cheif engineer on the project) says an engine is not a sports engine if it only rev's to 6krpm..... I love the sound of giving it welly with that lovely induction noise.

How many miles did the demonstarotr have? and was it RON98 fuel?

RON98 will add at least 5% more power and if it has less than 100 mile the engine will not be losened up....

All that aside the handling and balance on the limit is stunning and those other cars cannot compete with that for sure.... Don’t be fooled by the marketing either, those prius tyres grip well! Yes better tyres will give even more cornering ability but the standard car can produce a 0.99g lateral force which is higher than a BWM M3!

Its such a fun car and you'll still have trouble keeping under the speed limit, especially on country roads like I said, cornering speed is phenomenal....and you'll want to push hard becuase it so fun!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the demo only had 1000 miles on it,and probably asda fuel in it,but i just didnt want to push it with the salesman sitting next to me.cant wait to do my own thing in mine when i get,the salesman said today that orders are now pushing back to the end of october.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Am trading in 316bhp subaru impreza sti with prodrive - salesman was happy for the gt86 to be driven "properly" on the test drive and whilst there is obviously noticeably less power throttle response, steering feel and feedback makes the drive feel much more involving - looking forward to getting to drive it on some proper roads when I take delivery.
Cant wait to pick mine up, hopefully next weekend!

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
spanytom said:
salesman was happy for the gt86 to be driven "properly" on the test drive
which is the reason why i said no when the salesman said i could have theirs when they got a new one in. i don't want a "new" car that's been abused and redlined from mile 1. you know there will be some people who just can't drive testing the car. one person who tested it before me supposedly had the wheel in a deathgrip going at speed. if you're not used to driving at speed, get a Micra

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.