GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am considering a GT86 or maybe a GR86 because of the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty that Toyota are now offering (warranty is very important to me). I would be keeping it while it is under warranty then selling it on which will probably be 6 years for me as I do 15-18k a year.

A few questions I have, I appreciate you may not be able to answer for the GR86 but at this stage I’m asking generally about both cars just to get an idea.

1) Do these cars have heavy steering? I like a car with a decent weight to the steering. For reference my current car is a BMW Mini which I am happy with the steering so anything around there or preferably heavier than that is OK.

2) Is the GT86 a good used buy or is it the kind of car that is likely to have been thrashed?

3) I have read that premium fuel is recommended for these cars. Would it be OK to run it on normal petrol (I don’t mind a small performance loss, I’m not any kind of driving god or looking for every last BHP) or would this cause damage to the car over the long term.

4) What is the service intervals and price of such services? I'm not sure why but they seem to be very secretive about this!!

5) Would you buy a low mileage GT86 for around £25,000 or wait and buy a new GR86. I don’t need the car now so time is not an issue I’m more asking about whether the GR86 would be much better for the extra money. Speaking of which what kind of price would you expect it to be as my limit is around £30k.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
3,571 Posts
Welcome to the club Jack Daniels.I can answer some of your questions regarding the GT 86.
1) The steering is light and very responsive,not heavy at all.
2) They are popular as track day cars and can be easily modded. Maybe look out for stock ones,although that doesn't necessarily mean they haven't been thrashed!
3) Toyota recommend 98 RON petrol is used, a reminder of this is on the fuel filler cap. So, Shell V Power or Tesco Momentum etc .
4) Service Intervals are 10,000 miles or 1 year. Price depends on if a Service plan is in place.
5) I personally wouldn't wait for the GR86 as I don't like the look of them! It depends on whether you prefer the original looks of the GT 86 or the appeal of the 2.4L engine of the GR86.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Welcome to the club mate, I am now no longer the owner of a GT86, having just swapped onto a C-HR, but I did own a GT86 for five years, it was, as usual a very reliable car, we expect nothing less from Toyota, to answer some of your questions, the steering from my own perspective was excellently weighted, neither light nor heavy, the car is reasonably economic to run, servicing is about £200 for a minor service and I paid just over £300 for the major six year service. Which INCLUDED the spark plug change.
They are a fun car to drive and tbh I loved mine, only changed because I now suffer from age related back problems and it was becoming painful to drive on long journeys, like the previous poster mentioned, they are a popular track day car, I would say though, as much fun as they are, the suspension is unforgiving on poor roads and they are not a particularly quiet car, in-fact they are quite tiring on a long journey, but we are all different in our perception of that.
As for fuel, I mostly ran mine on standard unleaded, occasionally putting in Momentum or V- Power and tbh never noticed any difference in performance or fuel consumption, others may disagree!
so to sum up, I enjoyed my five years with the 86, but am pleased I've moved on to the C-HR, take one for an extended test drive and put it through its paces, you won't be disappointed.
you may be aware that there is a recall to replace the valve springs on earlier models, mine was included in that, but having heard of so many horror stories with engine problems following the recall, and given the relatively rare rate of valve spring failure I decided to give the recall a miss and take my chances, worked out fine for me.

good luck with your search.👍

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
1) i wouldn't agree that steering is light. Most "family cars" have usually much lighter, uncommunicative but "turn with one finger" powersteering then twins. That aside, it's not heavy either. But overall i like weight as is and feedback i receive from it. Stock clutch pedal feel might be better, steering wheel telescopic adjustment might have been better (need depends on how long one are/body parts proportions though), but otherwise i love driver ergonomics and handling feel in twins
2) imho it can go both ways. Well, i'd check for things like if it had been in major accidents, if it has been bastardized with some too extensive modding, if it has valve spring recall done (in case of it being of very earliest days). Otherwise twins are rather durable cars with imho not much major problems
3) as per manual, it can go just fine with no long term damage on 95, but obviously due it more knocking, ECU tune will adjust fueling trims and it will underperform. As this is car i bought largely for fun and it doesn't have much power to begin with, i find no reason to NOT fill with 98. Especially that due more optimal ignition/fueling trims it may use a bit less fuel, partially compensating more expensive price per litre of better fuel.
4) interesting, "who" are secretive about servicing intervals? I got printout about service intervals when i bought mine, and can easily google it in various form at several places online (including UK twins related forums :) ). BTW, if servicing at official dealership, every second servicing might be more expensive due torsen diff oil change, and 4th servicing even more expensive due spark plug change (as official procedure involves lifting engine to access plugs on these wide boxer engines. There is DIY guide how to change plugs w/o engine lift though). I'm servicing mine at more frequent intervals though anyway, both due track use, and also due "time" arriving more often first then mileage due reduced driving in these pandemic times.
5) hmm .. i'm on earlier twin and as mine still runs fine and has no major issues and well fits to what i want from car, i'm going to run till it runs into too major faults/expensive repairs to keep running/maintaining. But age is age, and if nothing else, rust may start to take it's toll in few years in mine, so would think either of newer "old" one (eg. restyle MY2017 ones), or GR86, if i'd be to buy now, not in 2014 :).
When deciding if car is right for you, just as other suggested, do test drive. No subjective views found online will be able to tell as good if car is right for YOU. Twins are not universally fit for everybody and for every use. They provide sporty and enjoyable handling at relatively cheap price .. at expense of reduced practicality & some cheapness and few quirks. Eg. their rear seats are for only smallest children, they are not the most comfiest, interior is rattling & noisy, stock audio sucks, hard to engage 2nd gear when cold, abismal rear visibility (if no rear camera) .. but i felt delight driving it again after having to drive other cars for whatever reason/need for some time. I love also driving mine around circuits in trackdays. And reduced practicality .. is still more then in eg. mx-5.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments everyone, really appreciated.

The reason I'm wondering about 95RON fuel is because there are no local garages to me that sell 98 but that is not the end of the world, I will just have to plan better.

I will try to get a test drive in one soon to help make my decision. I think it's the car for me though as most of my driving is on single carriageways, B roads etc. I'm looking for a small car that's fun to drive, maybe a bit old fashioned, for about £30k or less, with a decent warranty, and this seems to tick all the boxes I think.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I agree, all boxes ticked.

1) Do these cars have heavy steering? I like a car with a decent weight to the steering........

2) Is the GT86 a good used buy or is it the kind of car that is likely to have been thrashed?

3) .........Would it be OK to run it on normal petrol (I don’t mind a small performance loss......

4) What is the service intervals and price of such services?............

5) Would you buy a low mileage GT86 for around £25,000 or wait and buy a new GR86.......
1) My perspective - definitely a decent weight to it e.g. Night and Day better than a MK1 Fabia (even after I adjusted it via the OBD port), but it's all relative, maybe Growlerkat is used to old Land Rovers (apparently pretty heavy 🙂 ).

2) Yes and Perhaps. But seeing as £25k would net you a year old car with very low miles and oodles of warranty left, really can't see there's much to worry about. Just go for 100% stock, right down to the tyres.

3) Yes. Owners manual states no detriment to drivability / durability. I think there is alot to be said for not just sticking supermarket 95 in though. If a diet of 95 is most convenient, you could add "Millers Ecomax" yourself (it's a petrol treatment, comes in a half litre bottle) which I believe will give you a similar result to using BP/Esso/Shell premium (it raises the Octane rating and has cleaning additives).

4) already well covered.....

5) I'd buy a low mileage GT86. You've already said you aren't bothered about every last bhp (the bigger engine being the main difference between the two) so why wait - of course when you test drive a GT you may possibly feel otherwise.......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys.

Just drove one today.

Lovely handling and loved the steering and the gear change. Also loved the size of the car. At first it felt slower than my 180BHP Mini, especially around the local town. Then I pushed it to the red line and it was quick. I guess that's me becoming used to turbocharging. It felt good to be in a car I had to drive hard to get proper performance out of it. I also learnt how used to the rev matching feature I had become in my Mini...I kept changing down and forgetting to blip the throttle :D. Didn't get to try merging onto any motorway slip roads to test view but no issues with rear view when parking.

I'm still in 2 minds as to whether to wait for the GR if for nothing else than just to have a go. I know I said I'm not after every last BHP but the bigger engine does appeal especially with the smoother torque curve etc. I do have another car till 2022 so I guess I can afford to wait and have a go in the GR later on this year.

Is the GR likely to sound better with a bigger engine? Not to say the GT was at all bad, it sounded nice at the red line. just wondering if there will be a major difference.

Thanks again for all the opinions.

·
Super Moderator
3,571 Posts
I agree, all boxes ticked.

1) My perspective - definitely a decent weight to it e.g. Night and Day better than a MK1 Fabia (even after I adjusted it via the OBD port), but it's all relative, maybe Growlerkat is used to old Land Rovers (apparently pretty heavy 🙂 ).

2) Yes and Perhaps. But seeing as £25k would net you a year old car with very low miles and oodles of warranty left, really can't see there's much to worry about. Just go for 100% stock, right down to the tyres.

3) Yes. Owners manual states no detriment to drivability / durability. I think there is alot to be said for not just sticking supermarket 95 in though. If a diet of 95 is most convenient, you could add "Millers Ecomax" yourself (it's a petrol treatment, comes in a half litre bottle) which I believe will give you a similar result to using BP/Esso/Shell premium (it raises the Octane rating and has cleaning additives).

4) already well covered.....

5) I'd buy a low mileage GT86. You've already said you aren't bothered about every last bhp (the bigger engine being the main difference between the two) so why wait - of course when you test drive a GT you may possibly feel otherwise.......
Tractors actually 😁

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Yes, for twins to accelerate better one "needs to row gears". Imho twins are not that bad in powerband of 4K-redline. They don't help much with torque for lazy ones though, for owners that economy cruise at low rpms and then just stomp pedal .. and getting close to nothing. If one needs brisker acceleration, bring 1-3 gears, depending on situation, down. I don't find it issue, it even adds a bit more involvement, but depending on driving style i see why it may feel powerless for some or tiresome to others.
I wouldn't expect miracles from stock catback sound wise in GR. Most OE exhausts are more targeting specific emission and noise level standards (which by time become only stricter), less so sound tone & louder volume. Expect GR to not magically gaining some uber sound, and expect no relation of sound vs engine displacement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts