GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Now this could be one of the following things, a problem, crap climate control, or a misunderstanding from my perspective.. i'm open to any of the above

Pretty much every car i've owned in the past, Ford's, BMW's, Audi's, etc., i've set the CC to 18-20C (depending on time of year) and it's always been pretty much spot on (for me).

Now I appreciate that the CC in the GT86 isn't very advanced (as in it doesn't automagically enable the A/C other than for de-misting duties), but I am finding that I need to go as high as 25-26C to actually get any warm air from the vents. 22C setting is typically too cold for me. It seems to be at least 4C out, but I have yet to do any scientific measurements (which I intend to do!).

Anyone else noticed this kind of behaviour?

I also heard a rumour that the centre vents typically blow out cold/cooler air than the rest, but this could be either a design goal or flaw.. if true?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
it might be a subaru thing

the system in my 2010 Legacy is awful

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I have mine set on 20 all the time and I have never noticed it blowing out warm air at all, even yesterday morning at 6.15.

Now I don't really feel the cold in a car (not after years of biking, try Essex to Plymouth in January's at high motorway speeds for cold) and just use the AC for keeping the windows clear, but now you mention it I would've expected warm air yesterday morning.

I'll pay more attention next time

Alec Edited by: keelerad

·
Registered
855 Posts
Same here, always have mine on 22-24 depending on day/night and temp out. But have yet to feel the warm air from the vents on a cold morning. Besides, if u leave it OFF auto function, it still changes vent speed from time to time... no idea why

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,869 Posts
I tend to vary my setting from 19-21 based on outside temp.

Its not amazing and the only other cars I have had with climate is my Merc C Class and we had an Audi A4 (2008 model). I found the Audi to be similar to the GT86 in that on cold days i'd have it up to 21-22 but on a hot sunny day i'd have it lower. The merc is a bit better in this respect and I find myself leaving it at 20C.

I've always put it down to the fact that on sunny days your body is absorbing sun rays which will make you a bit hotter but not nessesarily the ambient temp in the car, and this is why you have to adjust the temp inside the car.

I am pretty sure though, that on cold mornings (say 10C) when its set to 21C it will pump out warm air once the engine is up to temp..... The car lives undercover, so it doesn get as cold as it otherwise would.

I'll keep an eye on it and report back!

G

·
If i switch it on, mainly to keep windows clear, it's at 21°C.Feels fine to me but it's still pretty mild down sarf.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I can't say much, but if you put it on 'Hi' the car will get hot very quickly... So I imagine it does blow hot out of somewhere... Otherwise I have thought that it is a bit chilly when set to 20-22 odd...

Hmm, oh well, it is only a guide...

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have to agree with the assessment that the air con/climate control is a bit lame. It is at least 4 degrees cooler on warmer settings.
I just hope it isn't 4 degrees warmer on days when it get's hot enough.

I have often found that at 22 degrees it is initially luke warm and then suddenly cools and I have to turn it up. Weird...

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sound like perhaps it's not just my car then..

I will do some proper testing and post results..

·
Registered
566 Posts
21 to 22 degrees. But I like it cool so would set the Merc one to 18 for the same result. So would agree completly with you gt_sjo!

G

·
I wonder where the outside/ambient temperature sensor is?Mine is often very high... 16°C at 1900hrs last night when I went out... felt more like 8-10°C.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lordgrover said:
I wonder where the outside/ambient temperature sensor is?Mine is often very high... 16°C at 1900hrs last night when I went out... felt more like 8-10°C.

I have a feeling it's not a million miles away from the engine bay as it does suffer 'heat soak' once parked up for a while after being run. Mine showed 21C when I got in the car yesterday! I wish!

·
Registered
469 Posts
gt_sjo said:
Sound like perhaps it's not just my car then..

I will do some proper testing and post results..
Noticed something similar coming home tonight, about 10°C outside, Climate Control set to 22°C and kept feeling a little chilly... kept increasing it and it wasn't until 25°C that the fan speed went up and warm air started to get circulated.

Then I remembered the heated seats so gave them a try too.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Dave said:
I think as well, that the colder outside temperature will play a part in all this, as it will take longer for the system to get up to temperature due to the lower starting point
True, but tonight, I'd already been driving for three quarters of an hour so the car was well warmed up in this instance.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The climate control iscustomisableby your dealer, ask them to up the temp calibration a bit. The recirculation setting that annoyingly gets switched on when you switch the aircon on can also be switched to "manual".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.