GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
When we all get our new pride and joy what is best , polish or Wax?
Both?
What brands?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Both really, as they each have a slightly different purpose.

They work very differently, but good car car should use both products at different times ie you shouldn't have to apply both together.

·
Registered
278 Posts
For a brand new car, the trick is to prepare the "apparent" perfect paintwork properly - as it won't be perfect although new from the factory. No manufacturer's does.

Once prepared then the wax goes on.Edited by: Speedymurr

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent thanks
What brand would you suggest for wax ?

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much was that then ?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I managed to get it thrown in with my deal. Whole car was £425 (inside & out). I've ordered Red so thought it would help keep the shine.

·
Registered
123 Posts
you know you can get the lifeshine kits on ebay for little over £20 and do it yourselves, saves money, hard work but worth it for the saving

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have read a lot about Super guard and most people say it is not worth paying dealer as needs to be re done each yearThink i will stick with Wax and polish and a bit of elbow grease and save lots of money for more fuel so i can enjoy it more

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I agree about the price of Supaguard but I'm not going to turn it down when its thrown in by dealer 'on top' of a deal I was already happy with. ;-) 

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Totally agree with you...if you get a deal snap it up ...wish i could get one as well ...what dealer was it please?

·
Registered
99 Posts
As said above mate, you need to use both for best results, Polish nourishes the paint and gives it a nice shine and the wax goes over the top to seal it in. I use a mixture of Meguires stuff and I have some Dodo Juice wax and also tried a bit of Autoglym stuff too. My conclusion is that they all seem to do pretty much the same

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks
I have always used triple wax
Is that any good?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Triple wax is ok, I don't think its as good as megs or autoglym. Dodo juice is a very good wax and they do a dull range of other stuff like polish and wash as well bit ot is fairly expensive

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for info
Might try one of those on Gt86 when I get it

·
Registered
157 Posts
Superguard is good if your lazy. I'd have it done on the inside as it helps with spills and makes the plastics look a bit darker.

Doing it yourself is best, but as mentioned from the factory the paint is more than likely going to have orange peel in it somewhere and you'll need to wet sand it smooth with wet and dry and then re polish it back up to a glass like shine. That sounds a bit dangerous especially on your brand new car for most people, so I doubt most will attempt it, but it is the only way for a perfect finish.

The best waxes to use would be a carnauba based wax. I have a pot of Poorboys Natty's Paste Wax that has carnauba in it. It works very well and as such my cars are dong well if they get one application of it a year. Most of the time I will just use Meguiars Gold Class if I feel it needs to be kept of top of.

·
Registered
193 Posts
wash twice with the two bucket method using awoollen mitt. Then clay bar the body work. Then a full polish and finally apply 2 coats of wax. You can't go wrong with meguiers products.
Edited by: jonnykool

1 - 17 of 17 Posts