GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

What petrol is everyone using? its says 88 ron on the filler cover - best I've seen so far is 87 ron?

Will this cause any problems?

Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
You mean 98 and 97, I presume

Vpower 98 or Momentum 99 for me

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doh yes.
.. had a fewshandieslast night...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Tesco's best for me - whatever is cheapest.

My last car stated unleaded or super unleaded. I always put in unleaded as it's cheaper and the car still drove okay.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Speedymurr said:

My last car stated unleaded or super unleaded. I always put in unleaded as it's cheaper and the car still drove okay.
In the states it saw premium which is 95, but you'll prob get quite a few more ponies on 99 considering the compression ratio of the engine

·
Administrator
5,771 Posts
Seeing as my current car is a JDM imported model, I've always run mine on super unleaded as you could definitely notice the difference.

My civic would run soooo much better on V-Power than any of the others. BP Ultimate was ok but I found Tesco's 99 was rubbish. Other cars did run good on the others though, seemed to depend on the car itself.

Mine will be living on a V-Power diet.... cheaper than BP too
and there's no Tescos around here.

·
Administrator
5,771 Posts
GT86Owner said:
Speedymurr said:

In the states it saw premium which is 95, but you'll prob get quite a few more ponies on 99 considering the compression ratio of the engine

Oh, and the Stateside fuel is rated a bit different. I believe their 95 is the equivalent to our 98/99 RON. 93 is the same as our normal unleaded. It's because theirs isn't rated in RON.... although off the top of my head I can't remember what it is

Edited by: Kodename47

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
American's use AKI, which is (RON+MON)/2. RON is not as useful as MON anyway, no idea why we use it in Europe for defining pump fuels.

The 200 DIN HP rating will be based on using 98 RON. If you use 95 then you'll most likely lose a bit of power.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Just to add though, I intend to run mine in on 95!

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Will be using shell ultimate as garage only 1 mile from house

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Kodename47 said:
GT86Owner said:
Speedymurr said:

Oh, and the Stateside fuel is rated a bit different. I believe their 95 is the equivalent to our 98/99 RON. 93 is the same as our normal unleaded. It's because theirs isn't rated in RON.... although off the top of my head I can't remember what it is
The fuel ratings are in anti knock index (aki) in the us. They say up a min of aki 91 which Ron95. Aki95 is more like Ron100. Aki 93 which is rare as nats teeth in the us, is about Ron98

Just to make it clear, in the us 99% of pumps offer aki 85,87 and 91.Edited by: GT86Owner

·
Administrator
5,771 Posts
sovietspybob said:
I'd be using either V-Power or Tesco 99 if it was me.

People spend loads of dosh on stuff to make their car quicker where as with most modern cars the easiest way is to fill it up with the best fuel it can make a real marked difference!

In my Subaru Impreza it makes a real noticable difference to run 99 instead of 95.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQghB4asSnI&feature=related

It won't be so noticable in an N/A car. In a boosted car the knock sensor will be able to advice the timing more with decent fuel and produce more power. If a N/A car is designed to use 98 and you put 95, you will lose a small amount. Don't quite expect the same as the Impreza!

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Kodename47 said:
sovietspybob said:
I'd be using either V-Power or Tesco 99 if it was me.

People spend loads of dosh on stuff to make their car quicker where as with most modern cars the easiest way is to fill it up with the best fuel it can make a real marked difference!

In my Subaru Impreza it makes a real noticable difference to run 99 instead of 95.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQghB4asSnI&feature=related

It won't be so noticable in an N/A car. In a boosted car the knock sensor will be able to advice the timing more with decent fuel and produce more power. If a N/A car is designed to use 98 and you put 95, you will lose a small amount. Don't quite expect the same as the Impreza!
I think k20s lose about 5% power so would expect the same of word considering the compression ration

1 - 14 of 14 Posts