·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Behave! I was trying to be descriptive!

·
Registered
377 Posts
i think our guys are the last one to release any turbo kits, but i bet when they do they will be a lot better then some of the stuff out now

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
The problem is not many people want to spend the money. I've never been a fan of turbo 'kits', unless the kit includes a replacement engine suited to forced induction!

There's nothing special in getting moderate power increases from engine. Most of these 'tuners' don't actually do any development, they're not qualified (this statement is not in relation to the company mentioned in this thread). They just bolt stuff on and test it. Sure, trial and error is certainly a common approach to problem solving, but I prefer to look at things from an engineering perspective.

Another big issue with stuff from the U.S. is they're more into short spring/drag racing rather than top speed type stuff. You can get away with A LOT if the engine only has to produce peak power for 12 seconds. It's when you hold that in for 60 seconds which separates the men from the boys. I highly doubt any 12.5:1 CR engine with a turbo is going to last very long attempting to vMax.

I'd love to find out what's different between the n/a and turbo version of the FA20. Whether it's just pistons, or pistons & rods, and/or uprated valve train and most likely different cams. I'd also love to find out if the engine/transmission mounts are the same as the EJ20. I guess we'll have to wait until someone gets some parts out on the table and does a comparison.

Edited by: gt_sjo

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,869 Posts
THe turbo FB20 isnt that high revving. Peak torque happen much lower down, so they have gone for a less sport type setup and more for crusing.

Im no engine expert but to generate 300HP at 20% less revs (6k vs 7.5k) would mean 80% more torque! Thats alot of pressure on the engine. I would think most of it is different!

Edited by: GT86Owner

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
I can't think of many 2L engines that wouldn't do 300bhp with minor modifications. Pretty much any 2L cylinder head since about 1995 will flow enough air out the box for that power, so really it just comes down to con-rod strength and valve train capability. I've never heard of a i4 block failing at that power level.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
gt_sjo said:
I've never been a fan of turbo 'kits', unless the kit includes a replacement engine suited to forced induction!

Ahhh it's easy, just include a thicker headgasket to reduce the compression ratio and Bob's your uncle*

* - Doesn't matter about all the R&D the manufacturer put into the squish area and in-cylinder pressures

One of the problems with the plethora ofcheap tuining parts in recent years is that Joe Public spends his cash bolts on the part sticks it on the dyno and of course he see's an increase in power. What he doesn't seem to fathom is that if the part was actually designed with a bit more R&D and manufactured with tighter tolerances that the part could yield a lot better results and probably last 10's of thousands of miles longer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.