GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone on had experience of Paintless Dent Removal (PDR)..?

Have been looking around (as I have a small dent to remove) and had a friend recommend a local company that does this type of work. Wondered about the pros and cons / opinions of this technique as opposed to body-shop work.

Been doing some research on YouTube and found this series of interesting vids that explains and shows some of it (and limitations of what is possible - See the MX-5, next job):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsODieLK4pk&feature=channel&list=UL

[TUBE]NsODieLK4pk&feature=channel&list=UL[/TUBE]

Edited by: Angel C

·
Registered
877 Posts
I had a car door ding removed from my scirocco, I used a company called Acedentura, can't fault them it looked as new when the bloke had finished. I did some research before going ahead with it, basically all they need is access behind the dent and they can pop it out, if they can't get access they may have to drill a small access hole which is what happened to me as it was on the rear quarter.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CPN said:
Indeed, I thought that too... almost OCD just like me!
I didn't think such professionals even existed these days...
It is good to see people who care about their job and want to do it well. If I could find this guy, I'd be happy to use him but that's the lottery of the franchises like Chips Away etc., you don't know who you're going to get - Which has made me hesitant of using a company like them.

With a personal recommendation from a friend who is equally OCD for someone from a private company, you hope you're going to get someone thorough who'll do a good job on your car.

I e-mailed photos of my dent & scratches yesterday and will be talking to them again today, probably have to take it to them to have a proper look (to get a quote). On the phone, they estimate they can do most dent removal in around 45 minutes and come to your place of work / home if in the local area.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I'm sure a lot of us on here would be very interested in any prices you get quoted? I notice that on their website, there is no mention at all of cost... That's always a bad sign
Since a successful repair in this way doesn't seem to involve any consumables of any sort, I'm assuming it's based on straight labour costs?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I use a guy who does PDR who used to work on the production line at Ford's removing dings off of brand new cars as they came off the line.
Used him once with my GT86 already and he left no trace of anything ever being there.

Edited by: en8wall

·
Registered
655 Posts
Sorry to hear that, but good to know there's a good one local!<div id="LCS_336D0C35_8A85_403a_B9D2_65C292C39087_communicationDiv">

PDR is a black art; I've done a few minor ones myself (thumb rubbing technique!) but it's best left to the wizards.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CPN said:
I'm sure a lot of us on here would be very interested in any prices you get quoted? I notice that on their website, there is no mention at all of cost... That's always a bad sign
Since a successful repair in this way doesn't seem to involve any consumables of any sort, I'm assuming it's based on straight labour costs?
I'm going to be taking the car down to their workshop tomorrow afternoon so they can see how bad the scratching is... They're hoping (after viewing the photos I mailed them, see below) that it'll come out with an electric polisher - Assuming it's just the clear coat that's scratched.

Here's a close up of the scratching after the polishing I did to get rid of third party paint.

They're very confident that the dent can be removed completely as it's only light and barely shows on most photos. Here's one I sent them which shows the deformation of the straight line reflection of a neighbours roof...

Will let you know what the quote comes out at.. They've only got to beat £1444 by the dealer...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CPN said:
Wow! That looks a whole lot better you having just cleaned it off!
Fingers crossed for the final result!
Yep, very pleased (and relieved) that the blue paint came off. Once the dent is removed, you really wouldn't notice it unless you knew where to look and inspected close up. So, hoping that they'll be able to do something to remove (or reduce) the scratches too.

If they can't, next option appears to be respray the entire door with a matched paint and blend into left and right panels either side of the door... which is what the dealer quoted for (along with a new door) and which I wanted to avoid. Still think that amount of respraying vs. a small 5cm x 2cm lightly scratched area puts the car in a worse condition overall (to me) than leaving it alone after dent removal... though I know some would disagree, guess I've come to terms with the fact the car will never be 100% perfect.

Fingers crossed for some good news tomorrow.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nick Graves said:
Between a nifty and a onner, at a guess.
Nick, I wish your posts came with a decoder...

Anyone other than the Science Museum got a spare Enigma machine handy..?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gt_sjo said:
enigma says 50-100
Thank you...

Will see what the guy has to say (and quote) and post later tonight. If it's that cheap that's an absolute bargain in comparison to the dealer quote... albeit for a different amount of work.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
If you are ever looking for some paintwork, it's worth travelling to KDS (Keltec) in Kent. The guy (Kelly) is a perfectionist.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Took the car to the guy's workshop this afternoon so he could have a proper look at the scratching... Nice enough guy, had a *good* look round the car then spent all of about ten seconds looking at the actual scratches.

Thinks he can improve them with an electric polisher but probably not get rid of them 100%. Very confident the dent will come out but it's another guy who does the PDR (sounds like they refer work to each other) and I was given his number and gave him a call too... He quoted £60 (so a good estimate Nick..!) to come
to my place of work and remove the dent... but I don't have a price for removing/improving the scratches yet.

By chance the husband of a
friend I went to see tonight had work done by the same guys and
recommended them too so that's two local recommendations which is no bad thing.

Edited by: Angel C

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
PDR guy is booked to do the work tomorrow morning so fingers crossed that he can get rid of the marks and dent.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Martin F said:
Good Luck, if he's well experienced i'm sure all will go well
Cheers, hoping to have a shiny, new and dent free car for the meet on Sunday.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.