GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not keen on the standard parking sensors as I think they look a tad cheap.I suspect I may appreciate the 'security blanket' they offer though.
I quite fancy the look of these as they require no drilling as it's hidden behind the bumper. What do fellow 86ers reckon?

Click

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
HiI've just returned from a GT86 launch at local garage and they had fitted the Toyota Accessory parking sensors to the car on display.

1) They look cheap compared to others I've seen. They sit on top of the bumper surface rather than within it (flush) as in other factory fitted sensors.
2) They don't really suit the GT86 given the type of car it is.
3) The dealer had fitted the sensors and managed to leave scratch marks around two of the sensors so I don't think I could trust Toyota with fitting them to mine.

How do these other invisible sensors work, i'm confused?

Edited by: en8wall

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Never had them. and never hit anything. And I think the visibility is pretty good in the 86. If i'm unsure i get my son to stand behind the car and guide me. He's 2 and a half. Talented

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
They look good, just need to find out where I can get them fitted near Hertfordshire. Anyone know?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Mixed bag of reviews here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B0023S5BK6

Starting to question if I should bother with the sensors from the dealers now.....why is it that the Aussies can get the reverse camera fitted (not from factory mind you -http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10804) but we can't? Different head unit? Andsupposedly the BRZ will have reverse camera too, again different head unit or something? Could we simply buy the same camera from other Toyota's and hook it up to the head unit?

Edited by: Keethos

·
Registered
278 Posts
Definitely disappointing no rear camera. After all the colour screens already there - standard Toyota hardware. The Toyota camera fitted to their other models is tiny and not unobtrusive and surely including the wiring in the design is nothing to speak of.

If it were a cost vs spec decision, I'd happily lose cruise control or headlight washers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Keethos said:
Thanks for that. I was about to place an order but after reading some of the negative reviews I'll do a little more research before parting with my hard-earned. I'll wait until the car arrives anyway, just to see if it'll be of any great benefit. I was told my 350Z would be a pain to reverse but I've found it about the best car I've driven despite restricted vision.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Has anyone got any pictures?

I've read through quite a few other forums about the electromagnetic ones, and again, a lot of hit and miss, it's almost pot luck weather your car is 100% compatible with it (i.e. bumper not too thick, not to much metal around the aerial, stuff like that) and weather you get someone who can do a proper job of fitting it.

I might hold off getting the sensors and hope someone figures a way of installing a camera

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Just learn how to park??

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I know how to park, I can park quite well, but you can't see what you can't see and I really really don't fancy dinking or even just catching a slightly high kerb or short stump.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I was dissapointed to see that not only did it not have the parking camera, but also doesn't have parking sensors
...... The toyota.co.uk GT86 site did say it was going to have a rear camera at one point...

Like en8wall I just dont like the look of those optional sensors and dont particularly trust the dealer to fit them carefully. In fact im tempted by the JBL sound system but am concerned thye might muck something up...

·
Registered
363 Posts
If only there was a way to rig the Toyota GO infotainment system to have a rear view camera... I would pay for this, if only for the benefit of my wife!

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
DavidGT86 said:
If only there was a way to rig the Toyota GO infotainment system to have a rear view camera... I would pay for this, if only for the benefit of my wife!
My wife wont drive it. She knows how I have been pining over this car for the last two years!

·
Registered
363 Posts
GT86Owner said:
DavidGT86 said:
My wife wont drive it. She knows how I have been pining over this car for the last two years!

My wife will only drive mine when I need her Focus's boot space. Hopefully not too often!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
GT86Owner said:
I was dissapointed to see that not only did it not have the parking camera, but also doesn't have parking sensors
...... The toyota.co.uk GT86 site did say it was going to have a rear camera at one point...

Like en8wall I just dont like the look of those optional sensors and dont particularly trust the dealer to fit them carefully. In fact im tempted by the JBL sound system but am concerned thye might muck something up...
I'm going to keep an eye out for more flush fitting after market sensors.
These ones look good, far more smoother on the bumper than Toyotacrap and a professional job rather than an apprentice being let loose on my car witha drill.

[TUBE]H6PTYHOEamg[/TUBE]

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
According to the dealers at Birmingham, they believe the headunit to be exactly the same as the headunits on other models and the reason no camera is available is because there isn't enough room to fit the camera under the boot lip where the button to open the boot is. So if you can find a smaller camera, you should be able to hook it up to the headunit (as long as its compatible with the Toyota headunit). Will be looking more into this.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts