GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
After 2 years if annoying rattle, I eventually got my local dealer to confirm the fault. Car is just over 3 years old, so they wouldn't fix it under warranty (18 months only for rattles, etc it seems.....).

The dealer master tech was great to be fair, had a good chat, talked about this thread, what had been found before, suggested fix and he then fitted the suggested O-Ring to the gear selector rod and exchanged the metal washer for a nylon washer and also applied silicone grease. I now have a lovely non-rattling gear stick above 4.5k revs. Cost £115, but worth it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I seem to have quite a bit of up and down slop in the shift lever itself. Basically there is a lot of clearance between the ball on the shift lever and the white plastic receptacle. Not side to side just up and down. Does anyone else see this?

Thanks
Derek

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just an update for me. I added the rubber o ring 10mm x 1mm and it solved the issues for less than 100 miles before it came back. I’m going to try and solve this again by swapping the metal washer for a wider nylon washer for a more permanent solution.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Okay so I took to trying to solve this for good this time.
I discovered that the nitrile rubber o ring washer wasn’t broken but instead crushed flat and therefore not working anymore hence why the rattle came back.
I replaced the washer and o ring with a nylon washer size M10 10.5mm internal diameter x 20mm external diameter x 2mm thick.
It’s a very tight fit but enough wiggling and you’ll get the pin back in.
My car is now 3 years old with 40k on the clock and I guess the rubber gets a bit stiff as it’s exposed to the elements/ exhaust and gearbox heat. It split when I tried to pull it down to reveal the pin.
In case anyone suffers the same fate here is the part number: Toyota GT86 2012-2016 Shift & Select Lever Boot (#SU003-00881) £25 from: Toyota direct parts.co.uk
Also worth noting that I added a bit silicone grease to aid assembly and friction.
Driven the car for 200miles now and no rattle at all through the gearshift at high rpms.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Okay so I took to trying to solve this for good this time.
I discovered that the nitrile rubber o ring washer wasn’t broken but instead crushed flat and therefore not working anymore hence why the rattle came back.
I replaced the washer and o ring with a nylon washer size M10 10.5mm internal diameter x 20mm external diameter x 2mm thick.
It’s a very tight fit but enough wiggling and you’ll get the pin back in.
My car is now 3 years old with 40k on the clock and I guess the rubber gets a bit stiff as it’s exposed to the elements/ exhaust and gearbox heat. It split when I tried to pull it down to reveal the pin.
In case anyone suffers the same fate here is the part number: Toyota GT86 2012-2016 Shift & Select Lever Boot (#SU003-00881) £25 from: Toyota direct parts.co.uk
Also worth noting that I added a bit silicone grease to aid assembly and friction.
Driven the car for 200miles now and no rattle at all through the gearshift at high rpms.
Hi Luke, can I please clarify?

When you say washer AND O-ring, on my shifter assembly at the bottom once the rubber dust cover is removed, I see the hole for the pin, a washer and then what looks like some kind of plastic bushing that goes through the hole. I am confused when you say O-ring too as I only seen one washer? Can you help clarify please? thanks.

Also - i removed the pin and washer and put everything back together but I still have the rattle so im assuming in my case it cant be the washer vibrating about unless there is something else? This O-ring?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I think the o-ring he's referring to is the one he installed himself....see his post just before the one you quoted. It's a solution a few of us did.

To clarify - there's a shaft coming from the gearbox with a horizontal connecting rod which passes through the bottom of the vertical shift lever (which the gearknob attaches to). The horizontal rod has a tiny hole in the end, through which a securing pin passes (although a plastic bushing in your case? odd). Between the securing pin and the vertical shaft of the shift lever is a small metal washer. This is to ensure that the vertical shift level can move left/right without sliding off the connecting rod which goes to the gearbox.

The rattle appears to be caused by this metal washer vibrating against the metal securing pin, given that there's a tiny amount of play. I placed a rubber o-ring between the washer and the vertical shift lever, to take up the slack, and also to provide a damping effect to any vibration. Luke did the same. So the o-ring he's referring to is something he fitted; not something that you're missing.

It seems in Luke's case, the o-ring he fitted has broken up, hence him replacing the actual washer itself with a slightly thicker one. I fitted an o-ring too, but so far, have had more luck, and the noise hasn't returned.

EDIT: Picture here for more info: Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB - View Single Post - Audible shifter rattle
What model year is your car? You mention a plastic bushing, which isn't present in the picture, or on my car. But I saw someone else mentioned it on a more recent lost on the ft86club forum, so perhaps it's an addition to facelift cars, an attempt to solve the problem.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think the o-ring he's referring to is the one he installed himself....see his post just before the one you quoted. It's a solution a few of us did.

To clarify - there's a shaft coming from the gearbox with a horizontal connecting rod which passes through the bottom of the vertical shift lever (which the gearknob attaches to). The horizontal rod has a tiny hole in the end, through which a securing pin passes (although a plastic bushing in your case? odd). Between the securing pin and the vertical shaft of the shift lever is a small metal washer. This is to ensure that the vertical shift level can move left/right without sliding off the connecting rod which goes to the gearbox.

The rattle appears to be caused by this metal washer vibrating against the metal securing pin, given that there's a tiny amount of play. I placed a rubber o-ring between the washer and the vertical shift lever, to take up the slack, and also to provide a damping effect to any vibration. Luke did the same. So the o-ring he's referring to is something he fitted; not something that you're missing.

It seems in Luke's case, the o-ring he fitted has broken up, hence him replacing the actual washer itself with a slightly thicker one. I fitted an o-ring too, but so far, have had more luck, and the noise hasn't returned.
Thanks for the reply and clarifying, I actually removed the washer altogether (and the pin was missing ... another story) put it all back and revved it out .. buzzing still present so in my case, I am still a little frustrated as I was really hoping this was the cause .... but with no washer at all, and a present buzzing I may try the lockout mechanism fix.

EDIT: UPDATE: car is a 20 plate ... the plastic bushing I was talking about is shown in the link you updated with ... so you have the pin, then the washer, then you notice what looks like another washer behind it? Thats the plastic bushing I was referring to .... the shift pin/rod slots through that from the other side but essentially, I have taken off the washer and still have an audible rattle, the same kind. so sad :( lol

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Thanks for the reply and clarifying, I actually removed the washer altogether (and the pin was missing ... another story) put it all back and revved it out .. buzzing still present so in my case, I am still a little frustrated as I was really hoping this was the cause .... but with no washer at all, and a present buzzing I may try the lockout mechanism fix.
Perhaps the vibration is actually caused by the rod of the gear linkage passing through the bottom of the gear shifter then? If you're able to replicate the noise by revving at a standstill, then I suppose you could just hold the end of the shaft with your fingers (fnnnaaarrr!!) and see if the buzzing goes away. I must admit, I never bothered to replicate it when at standstill, I only got the noise on the move, so it could also have something to do with what gear you're in and therefore how the linkage is positioned.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Perhaps the vibration is actually caused by the rod of the gear linkage passing through the bottom of the gear shifter then? If you're able to replicate the noise by revving at a standstill, then I suppose you could just hold the end of the shaft with your fingers (fnnnaaarrr!!) and see if the buzzing goes away. I must admit, I never bothered to replicate it when at standstill, I only got the noise on the move, so it could also have something to do with what gear you're in and therefore how the linkage is positioned.
there is so much frustration with this thing that having the shaft in my fingers is months away! :p I could give that a go though.

I did notice that as I am driving and stay at a steady 6-7kRPM to get a constant buzzing, and then start lifting the lockout, pressing it etc it does change the tone of the buzzing .... so it is possible that it could be the bushing in there, cable moving about, lockout pin etc so that's my next avenue to explore. Failing that, im swapping cars !! :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
As your car is a 20 plate you could ask the dealer to sort it. I thought about it, but didn’t trust them to warm it up properly during testing.

Reactions: MR2

·
Registered
99 Posts
As your car is a 20 plate you could ask the dealer to sort it. I thought about it, but didn’t trust them to warm it up properly during testing.
ive had a GT86 before and been through the dealers many of times for the same issue, they now say 'its a feature' and they cant figure out what it is. There are a lot of people taking to try and fixing this issue themselves as the dealers are useless here.

·
Registered
409 Posts
ive had a GT86 before and been through the dealers many of times for the same issue, they now say 'its a feature' and they cant figure out what it is. There are a lot of people taking to try and fixing this issue themselves as the dealers are useless here.
Funnily enough not a feature they include in ther marketting :)

But yes, I'd heard the same. Some had their gear linkages replaced under warranty, however the 'fix' proved temporary.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks for the clarification Conscript, I’m now using a 2mm nylon washer instead of the metal washer that is usually there. It was quiet for about a week or two before I started to hear another rattle. This one appears if you hold the rpm at 4-6k in gear and will disappear if you pull the lift reverse lockout up. I’m using an aftermarket aluminium lockout so this could be the cause.
I’ll find out tomorrow when I take that apart and try the ptfe tape and grease underneath it. Fingers crossed as it does annoy me greatly.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I can't recall hearing the rattle for a while now, even though I never got around to fitting the o-rings I ordered.
Thinking about it, I wonder if the SuperPro gearbox mount insert and swapping the gear knob made all the difference?
I'll make a point of listening for the rattle next time I'm on the road.

·
Registered
117 Posts
That’s interesting about the upgraded gearbox mount, let us know if you can hear the rattle. I haven’t been able to punch the spring pin out yet, I think it’s changed shape because I’ve removed it with an Allen key. So I may have to drill it out and replace it if the punch tools can’t rescue it.

·
Registered
550 Posts
That’s interesting about the upgraded gearbox mount, let us know if you can hear the rattle. I haven’t been able to punch the spring pin out yet, I think it’s changed shape because I’ve removed it with an Allen key. So I may have to drill it out and replace it if the punch tools can’t rescue it.
Sadly it's still there. I guess just I've just learned to filter the sound out?
Good luck with the spring pin!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just to add onto this thread - I actually REMOVED the reverse lockout and the plastic split bushes under it, as well as the washer and split pin at the bottom of the rod and STILL had the rattle. Luckily I have a little stretch of private road and also, the car still buzzes and vibrates even when stationary and you build up the revs .....

BUT ..... I have found the culprit ....I am pretty confident that I have actually found the root of the rattle at high RPM in my case.

It's the reverse lockout stop block (which is hidden under the rubber shift boot ... you can feel it moving up when you lift reverse) .... I can press this in when the rattle is happening and then it stops ... complete silence!! If you look closely, there's actually a little bit of play in there and when you rev the car (stationary) you can see it jump about and rattle. So, it's a design issue. They could fit a thicker bushing tbf.

It's a fiddly fix but I know how to fix it. Essentially, you will need to take off the gear leaver and then punch out the pin holding the lockout block to the gear shaft, apply a loop of teflon tape to take up the slack .. replace it all back to normal and im very confident that should reduce it enough for me not to care about it. I even ordered some insulating material to pack it all with.

I can put a guide together showing exactly how I done this if that helps. But I really do think this is the root cause of the horrible metallic rattling at 5-7k RPM.

Reactions: paulca

·
Registered
99 Posts
OK - update time. The above fix from my last post made no difference whatsoever. I then taken my car back to the dealer and they finally agreed to fit a 2mm nylon washer in place of the original one. I had high hopes for this, but still, the rattle continues .... I even taken off the gearknob, the reverse lockout plastic part your fingers use to lift it up and also the two white plastic split bushes underneath this, so basically, I was driving around with just the steel shifter .... guess what? Still F*****g rattled ... i then filled the gear rod with grease, still rattled.

So, I have since sold the car and will never be coming back to this generation of 86. I can't believe how this rattle still exists

·
Registered
409 Posts
Mine only does it at around 6k rpm. Not a massive issue for me.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I raised all the way through all channels of my dealer, and eventually to Toyota Europe. Their response makes it sound like it's not only acknowledged, but is not as simple a fix as originally imagined. I tried every single fix I could find from around the forums other than installing a better shifter bushing (WhiteLine and the likes) and still had a very loud rattling. From their response, it does actually sound like the shifter bushing could be the solution as it effects the shifter feel/comfort.

Something for people to keep in mind.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts