GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Got hold of a few 10x1mm o-rings off Ebay and have just had another go at this. Did the same as lukebarog, an o-ring between the shifter and washer. Put the clip back in, which was difficult, but proves it's a more snug fit.

Just took it up the road and...success! I think. Held it between 5 and 5.5K RPM in various gears, and didn't hear any buzzing :)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
As an alternative to removing the split pin and inserting an O-ring, could you inject a heavy grease under the dust cover to fill all around the split-pin?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
As an alternative to removing the split pin and inserting an O-ring, could you inject a heavy grease under the dust cover to fill all around the split-pin?
Not sure it would be practical. The dust boot is quite big, it encapsulates the entire bottom of the assembly, so it would be a large volume to fill with grease. And no guarantee it would stop the washer vibrating on the pin, which I think it what's causing the buzzing noise.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Weirdly this rattle seemed to vanish when I removed the sound pipe, even with the far louder Blitz intake. I guess the piped noise was causing some extra vibration at just the right frequency :p

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I went for a blast this morning, and its surprising how much more pleasant the drive is now that is fixed. I can keep the car between 5K and 6K RPM, right in the power band, and not listen to it buzzing. I used to find myself either backing off or changing up just to get rid of the noise, but I went a long way down some favourite roads earlier and when I came to a junction, realised I'd managed to stay in 3rd gear the whole way and not heard it at all. Happy with that.

·
Registered
763 Posts
That does sound good, I hope it has some longevity with the o ring, if so I might give it a go in a few months.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I haven't given an update for a little while, mine seems to be behaving itself also. As Conscript has said, it really makes it a much nicer experience to rev the car high and not hear that horrible noise!

I suspect it should last a while, I put some grease on it also. I only paid a couple of quid for 5 o rings delivered so I am not too fussed if I have to do it again. Perhaps I will look for an alternative if the orings do start to fail.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Yes, I sprayed it with some silicone lubricant before putting it all back together as well - I'm hoping there isn't enough pressure and movement on the o-ring to cause it to disintegrate quickly.

I also bought 5 o-rings, just to have some spares (in fact, I was anticipating dropping and losing them more than anything). Bought them from here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nitrile-...var=591910984914&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

...but I have 4 spare at the moment, so if anyone else fancies fixing this themselves just give me a shout and I've be happy to stick one in an envelope for you.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Thanks for the offer Conscript (although it wasn't specifically addressed to anyone I know) I like to tinker around with little things like this, so would normally jump at it, but I have some plans for my 86 at the mo which may involve not doing anything more to this car.

Hopefully you and lukebarog can keep us updated...

·
Registered
550 Posts
Great work on this fix! :)
I'll be giving it a go this weekend along with taking a look at the "click" I get when shifting quick from 3rd to 4th, caused by the reverse lockout "jumping".

·
Registered
47 Posts
On a scale of opening an unlocked door to hacking a cars ecu from the other side of the planet with a waffle iron.

How hard is this to do with no knowledge?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
On a scale of opening an unlocked door to hacking a cars ecu from the other side of the planet with a waffle iron.

It's a bit fiddly, and a little bit of a chore taking off the centre console, but by no means difficult. Theres only 6 screws to undo, the rest of the trim is all clipped in. I reckon it took me about an hour first time, carefully following the instructions. The second time I did it I knew what I was doing and it probably only took me 30-40 mins start to finish, if that.

·
Registered
18 Posts

If your anywhere near Gatwick Airport or fancy a trip there, I'll happily give you a hand. Even have a couple of the orings left too.

Pretty easy, but a bit daunting the first time you take things apart!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Just a couple of tips that might help for anyone trying this for the first time:
- Make sure you're sat in the passenger seat as the clip we're talking about is on that side.
- If you place the car in 5th gear, that might give you better access, as it will pivot the bottom of the gear stick toward the passenger side.
- It might be prudent to get a big piece of cardboard or something and slide it under the car in the area directly under the gear stick - this is a bit of a fiddly job, and it's entirely possible that you'll drop the clip or washer while removing them. However, as you'll see with the trim off, if you do drop anything, it will fall right to the ground. A bit of cardboard or something will make it harder to lose, or easier to retrieve without having to scramble under the car.
- Getting the clip back in with an o-ring is a bit tricky. Because the extra pressure behind the washer means that when you get the clip through the pin, it might not go all the way through, because the washer is twisting and preventing it coming out on the other side. It's a bit tricky, but I pushed the clip as far as it would go, then used a screwdriver to pressure the opposing side of the washer inwards, allowing the clip to then go all the way through....kind of hard to explain, but hopefully you'll see what I mean when you look at the assembly yourself.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hi guys, I explored under the car this evening, as I'd prefer not to pull out trim if possible. It's relatively accessible from below; I can get my hands in there.

Is the rubber boot really hard to remove, and are you removing it up (towards the cabin) or down (towards the gearbox)? I tugged on it by hand but I'm not sure thats going to do the job. I could get it over half of the connection (twithout the clip) pushing it up, but didn't have much luck pulling it down by hand. Any tips?

Attachments

41 - 60 of 101 Posts