GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the GT86 have an oil cooler as standard?

I only ask because for trackdays and the like, which I admit I'd want to do, oil coolers are pretty important. Don't want to cook the engine.

G

·
I don't know, but I'd be surprised in a road going, base spec NA model.

At least this'll bounce you to the top so hopefully someone more knowledgeable can answer.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Lauren you should beOKwithout one. Its normally only required for charged cars. Icant see oil temp on a brand new car getting too high.

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It'd be nice to know if it does have one. Interestingly the UK spec AE86 had one as standard.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We'd be happy to provide a cooler kit at cost price in order to come up with a kit which fits and works - Drop me a pm if anyone wants to work with us on that. Definately worth having if going on track.

Ben
HEL Performance

·
Registered
202 Posts
I thought it had one, I'm sure I remember a schematic of the car showing some container thing behind the bumper.

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd like to see some proof, if you can find it.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
That's probably a power steering fluid cooler!

Not many cars come with an air:air oil cooler as they rarely need it!

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Plenty of performance cars do come with oil coolers.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Lauren said:
Plenty of performance cars do come with oil coolers.

That may be the case, but that's the minority of cars on the road hence my statement.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Lauren said:
I'd like to see some proof, if you can find it.

Looked everywhere and can't find it, it was that picture where you can see all the internal workings of the car.

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gt_sjo said:
That may be the case, but that's the minority of cars on the road hence my statement.

Not when it comes to performance cars it isn't. I get where you are coming from but I wasn't really talking about your average boring mobile.

Oh well, maybe it has one, maybe it doesn't. I would just feel more confident it if did have an oil cooler as I'll be wanting it for some track use.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
It amazes me the amount of people who want/'need' an oil cooler who don't even know if they have an oil temperature issue.

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gt_sjo said:
It amazes me the amount of people who want/'need' an oil cooler who don't even know if they have an oil temperature issue.

Well, it may be too early to tell yet. What I would say is that if you are into your trackdays an oil cooler is a good idea. I've been in the situation before (driving other people's cars) when the oil temp kept being a problem and I've had a number of friends who cooked their engines in their MR2 SC's who didn't have an oil cooler. Mine did and didn't have a problem and I did a lot of trackdays in it.

If the stock car doesn't get too hot on track without an oil cooler then fine, but track work does tend to work the engine harder than road driving as a rule and as a result higher oil temperatures tend to result. Always better to err on the side of caution I think.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Lauren said:
Always better to err on the side of caution I think.

Maybe, maybe not. I'd err on the side that the manufacturer has done extensive testing and oil temperature is not an issue with the oil spec the engine is designed to use.

Now if someone has radically changed the engine where more heat needs to be displaced, then sure put an oil temp gauge on and do whatever is necessary, if anything at all.

Adding oil coolers onto production cars only has negatives in my eyes. Risk too-cool oil, more complex/more risk of failure, increases engine wear after oil changes, etc.

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not saying add an oil cooler, my question was, does it have one?

I asked the question for good reason. Not all manufacturers take into account owners going on track which works the car harder. Obviously with the GT86, it would seem that the manufacturer expects it's car to go on track and this is why I was interested to know.

If it doesn't need one, then fine, I wouldn't be likely to add an aftermarket one.

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That'll be the washer bottle.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts