GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given that the advice from my salesman conflicts with that in the manual regarding running in periods, has anyone been offered an oil change after the initial 1000 miles? Would I be within my rights to insist on an oil change at the dealers (free of charge, as I have always found to be the norm with first services in the past), or should I do it myself, something which I am not incapable of doing but which I firmly believe should be done by the dealer?

Overall the lack of initial information and feedback from Toyota regarding this car has been VERY unsatisfactory and it appears to be continuing into the ownership period. I have not owned a Toyota before but have had various other Japanese cars, notably Honda and Subaru and have found thecustomer care from Toyota to be greatly inferior to those brands. In fact I would go so far as to say (god forbid!) that it ranks alongside Ford in the 'if you don't like it, tough!' school of customer care. Its a good job the car is overwhelmingly brilliant(or is their attitude because the car is so brilliant?) otherwise I might be inclined to tell them a few home truths!

Oops! I didn't mean this to turn into a rant but it has been coming!!

G

·
I'm not familiar with new cars so it's all new to me. The only new cars I've had before have been company cars so I didn't care too much.If a carco is struggling for sales they often bundle in first year's servicing and/or insurance, etc.
I'd not expect them to do so for a brand new model for which demand is currently outstripping supply. If they'd been struggling to get punters through the door then I'd expect them to offer something like servicing as part of the deal but I don't see it happening anytime soon with the 86. More's the pity. :'(

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Ianw said:
Given that the advice from my salesman conflicts with that in the manual regarding running in periods, has anyone been offered an oil change after the initial 1000 miles? Would I be within my rights to insist on an oil change at the dealers (free of charge, as I have always found to be the norm with first services in the past), or should I do it myself, something which I am not incapable of doing but which I firmly believe should be done by the dealer?

Overall the lack of initial information and feedback from Toyota regarding this car has been VERY unsatisfactory and it appears to be continuing into the ownership period. I have not owned a Toyota before but have had various other Japanese cars, notably Honda and Subaru and have found thecustomer care from Toyota to be greatly inferior to those brands. In fact I would go so far as to say (god forbid!) that it ranks alongside Ford in the 'if you don't like it, tough!' school of customer care. Its a good job the car is overwhelmingly brilliant(or is their attitude because the car is so brilliant?) otherwise I might be inclined to tell them a few home truths!

Oops! I didn't mean this to turn into a rant but it has been coming!!
I dont believe it is a servicing requirement but a few of us on here have mentioned changing the oil after 1000 miles.

ICantAffordAnLFA got his oil cahnged and an inspection after his first track day.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Slight tangent here, but is it possible for somebody who has their car to post up a pic of the servicing schedule from the handbook.

I believe the one posted previously was for a US car which may well differ.

TIA

·
Registered
363 Posts
I will be changing my oil after about 1500 miles.

The idea behind it was to get rid of swarf (the small metal particles) that are generated from running the engine in.

Arguably, with the engine being tight when it is new, you also put the oil under more strain/heat than it will normally generate under normal working conditions thereby making a change a useful - not essential - early servicing requirement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts