GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, thought I'd pass on a word of warning from Demon Plates. Despite the 3d resin carbon plate being legal in their opinion, they have been getting calls from buyers getting fines / points for them. Bearing in mind up to 6 points for plates, but of a risk. Down to individual officer interpreting apparently and no arguing. Law does state it must be black lettering.

My guess is that the people being prosecuted are likely driving a bit lairy or modding their car in others ways, so the Police are finding a way to give them some love.

Anyway, you can decide for yourself, but wanted to pass it on.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
rob275 said:
well yes they are illegal to be fair.. I don,t think any plates from demon are legal, regardless of what they say.
My plate from them is 100% legal. I designed it myself!

·
Registered
855 Posts
LFA IS the cool bro, but also the smart one, ECU mapping cant be seen when u pass the camera van, the plates can.. :p So come off the gas, and they cant hear or see nthe ilegal mods, cruise past at legal speeds, and they can still spot those plates.. as much as it sucks.

Tho ofc, if u drive like a granny, and nothign else stands out, they might not bother pulling u over to yell at ya for that small stuff.. :)

(Still waiting to get a ticket from when i got a picture taken in north sweden, reading a map, with my mate steering from the passenger side, doing 130km/h in a 80 zone).. Guessing they gave up since its hard to issue a ticket to a map showing the country side outside Stockholm... and that was ALL that was visible thru the windshield of the drievrs side, hehe. (And dont worry senna, i'd never do that again, this was YEARS ago when i was a young aprentice of the dark side..)

:D :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
most mods are hardly illegal are they?? ECU remap is certainly not. Cars are not subject to noise limits, however to the letter of the law should not be louder than standard equipment. You always hear stories one way or another. I'm actually thinking of telling my insurer about the takeda intake to be on the safe side... I've always told them about the privacy film on windows, never made any difference to quotes. Think I'll tell them I'm *thinking* about it and see what they say.

I have no idea on the legality of modified intakes (other than exhausts) and they affect sound. I mean, the exhaust is still stock! Thoughts??

·
Administrator
5,798 Posts
pt86 said:
most mods are hardly illegal are they?? ECU remap is certainly not. Cars are not subject to noise limits, however to the letter of the law should not be louder than standard equipment. You always hear stories one way or another. I'm actually thinking of telling my insurer about the takeda intake to be on the safe side... I've always told them about the privacy film on windows, never made any difference to quotes. Think I'll tell them I'm *thinking* about it and see what they say.

I have no idea on the legality of modified intakes (other than exhausts) and they affect sound. I mean, the exhaust is still stock! Thoughts??
Mods aren't illegal so long as the MOT wouldn't be voided - generally so long as they don't make the car dangerous. As far as insurers, you should notify them any time you change the car to anything non standard. Obviously brake pads, tyres and discs don't count as they're wear items, but you should declare the intake to them. It will be deemed a performance increasing part, it's up to them to decide if they want to increase the premium. I've found most decent companies wont do anything except note it as inductions won't make the car much faster.

Would you be happy if they didn't pay a claim just because you fitted one and didn't want to pay a few quid more in insurance?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.