GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2018 GT86 ~ 6 weeks ago, currently has just over 17k miles on the clock. Overall absolutely loving it, the only thing slightly taking the edge off is the gearbox, specifically 2nd to 3rd.

It's notchy even when properly warmed up. Fast shift seems ok, as does SUPER slow, but not a more natural speed. No grinding, but you can feel a nick/catching slightly through the stick. Only on the upshift, down is like butter every time.
It also does the 'hard to get into 2nd when cold'...but I don't really mind this as idling for a couple of mins seems to deal with the worst of this.

I mentioned it to Motorline Gatwick who changed the gear oil free of charge, this didn't make any difference, but that's not a huge surprise as its more OEM.

Reading around other posts on other gearbox niggles, I notice some others have got on well with swapping out the oil for Miller's/Motul/Redline MT90, do you think this could help in my case?
I notice the gearbox part number on the 2017+ model is different, does anyone with a facelift have any experience with these?

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have had two 2017+ 86's and both were notchy when cold in 2nd like all of them, but perfect after that, so don't think its normal

If the dealer has another you could always ask for a test drive of it? that way you would know if its your car,

I would be surprised if it was a clutch or a gear oil issue, as its specific to 1 gear at a set speed. Synchro perhaps?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I know for sure my 1>2 gear changes are notchy which is common, even when warm (but far less noticeable), though I can't say I've ever had excessive notching on 2>3 or even 4>3 changes. that's on a '13 plate with nearly 70k miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts