GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Nice video. Interesting comments about the tyres. I wish the Toyota warranty shared his sentiments about modifications!

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Good vid.

I noticed it said 'built by passion, not by committee'... but they forgot to mention QC checked by accountants (missing grommets, clips,etc)...

Regarding the tyres:
It's clear they went for a durable non-grippy tyre to best tune the chassis.
However, his remarks about 'changing tyres might hurt performance' is, I think, the concern of 'over- tyreing' the car i.e. adding too much rubber volume. Don't go bigger...you will be disappointed.
Adding weight and mass at the wheels is a bad idea on this motor.

But he does remind us at the end that owners can change to other tyre brands if they want to.

I would add that this car is for sale in warmer countries than the uk (US, etc) where the tyre issue is less of a factor. Here in chilly / wet Britain, these tyres are not recommended on a rear-drive sports car in my view. Primacy's ok in the summer only. You will not have much fun 'Drifting' ... into a tree! And changing to better rubber as I have done give the car amazing poise and ability to change direction instantly that almost reminds of a Ferrai 458 !

Edited by: Senna

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
ob1kxb said:
never knew the GT86 was a spo'tsca'
Nope it's a su-po-tsu-ka スポーツ・カー

By the way, anyone seen the James Bond film it mentions for the GT2000 "You Only Live Once" ?

Is this the abridged version for showing on American airlines?

AlecEdited by: keelerad

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I would just like to offer a big thank you and a round of applause to Tetsuya Tada and his design team for having managed to bring the original concept through to production without having suffered too much corporate diversion on the way.

They have produced a drivers car that's fun and looks cool.

I hope they are as proud of having worked on this project as I am to own one

Alec
Edited by: keelerad

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Senna said:
I would add that this car is for sale in warmer countries than the uk (US, etc) where the tyre issue is less of a factor. Here in chilly / wet Britain, these tyres are not recommended on a rear-drive sports car in my view. Primacy's ok in the summer only. You will not have much fun 'Drifting' ... into a tree! And changing to better rubber as I have done give the car amazing poise and ability to change direction instantly that almost reminds of a Ferrai 458 !

I think low grip, makes the speed at which you can have some fun, lower and therefore you have fun more often.

The US is not a 'warmer' country to be fair. They have much harsher winters than we do, so I don't follow your point. It's only warmer in the warmer parts!

I note you have changed your tyres already. I would suggest that's it worth getting to grips with the car with the stock tyres before changing.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Lauren said:
The US is not a 'warmer' country to be fair. They have much harsher winters than we do, so I don't follow your point. It's only warmer in the warmer parts! 

I note you have changed your tyres already. I would suggest that's it worth getting to grips with the car with the stock tyres before changing. 
First, the US is a big place so we can't generalise too much, but they certainly don't have the amount of rainfall or the tight and twisty roads we have.

Also: I have tried the car with and without the Michelins - have you ?
I extensively tested the car over three test drives and I didn't like the Primacy's at all.
People are thinking the tyres make the car 'fun' but you can still power slide the car on demand with decent tyres, but it has much greater stability, quieter ride, and much more speed in the corners, and outright grip, especially in the wet.

I doubt most owners will keep with the (expensive) Primacy's when they come to change...

I would suggest you try the car with better (not bigger) rubber and you will soon see what I mean...

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Senna- I think you misunderstood the video. He said that usually changing tyres is negative, but they've engineered the GT86 to support alternative tyres.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
gt_sjo said:
Senna- I think you misunderstood the video. He said that usually changing tyres is negative, but they've engineered the GT86 to support alternative tyres.
I refer you to my previous response...

Edited by: Senna

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
keelerad said:
ob1kxb said:
Nope it's a su-po-tsu-kaスポーツ・カー

By the way, anyone seen the James Bond film it mentions for the GT2000 "You Only Live Once" ?

Alec

No, it's the convertible (there was no drop-top version, it was altered specially for the film) that 007 and AKI were chased in away from the Sato Chemical co. building.

Nice car... pity they didn't market that one !

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Senna said:
keelerad said:
ob1kxb said:
Nope it's a su-po-tsu-ka スポーツ・カー

Alec

No, it's the convertible (there was no drop-top version, it was altered specially for the film) that 007 and AKI were chased in away from the Sato Chemical co. building.

Nice car... pity they didn't market that one ! 
No, not an abridged version of the car, the film !!

Alec

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.