GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

I am a long time Toyota fan and had two much loved Celicas so have been waiting for a while to own a GT86. Finally took the plunge back in October and, just like the previous thread it is a red beastie (but mine is 2012) with the red trimmings inside, very nice and I am so pleased.

Except.....when it arrived it still had the original battery and almost immediately I couldn't open it, so called the AA and had to have a new battery, fair enough. About 6 weeks later I had the same problem and just like another post I read I knew I hadn't left any lights on, this car is still new to me and I'm looking after it like a baby. I have particularly been shutting the boot firmly! Anyway, it has been fine until today, I go out to go shopping and it won't open. Yawn! By the way, it's not the key fobs, I have changed batteries in both since I had it.

As I am working from home I am only using it once or twice a week, so my question is would you expect the battery to be flat because of that small amount of use? Or is there some underlying problem? Any suggestions would be welcome before I call my best friend the AA again!!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hello and welcome :)
Sadly it does seem a lot of folk suffer from batteries going flat and/or dying (myself included). A right of passage for anyone who owns a twin ;)

There are plenty of threads covering this already but in summery...
The issue is in part, down to the standard battery (and most replacements from dealers) having a relatively low capacity of ~65Ah. There does also appears to be a parasitic drain in the system?

Most folk tend to pickup up a good battery charger (like myself), or purchase a good quality higher capacity battery.

There's plenty more info in other threads but as a start, around half way down this page you'll see a post from growlerkat, who had to swap their battery out just last week.
https://www.gt86ownersclub.co.uk/fo...t-did-you-do-your-gt86-brz-frs-today-771.html

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
As i don't see problem with battery being that common in other countries twins related forums, i have strong suspicion that at least partially it may be caused by alarm sys that UK twins get equipped with, that may use up a bit more charge. Meanwhile, what was battery you replaced with? Similar to stock 45Ah one? Many during warranty period got theirs replaced for free by Toyota to 65Ah one that lessened problems. But as you say that yours is 2012, probably battery replacement can be done only at own expense :(. Well, at least for that i suggest to choose one of bigger capacity. There were few threads around forum regarding replacement battery choice, suggest reading those.
Obviously lockdown and little driving further enhances problem with charging. Well, then as Kaviar suggested, consider battery charger.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input & the battery charger on the way, it does seem a bit of a retrograde step, when I get a newer car I normally expect it to be to be better!! I think there are too many things to go wrong.

I have had a thought about the possible basis of the problem. I can't open the boot with the remote and wonder if the car thinks it's open when it's not? I might take it to an alarm person for a once over.

Enjoying touring the site and picking up bits of info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts