GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Subaru BRZ 2.0L Lux 2016
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I am looking for a little advice. I am about to buy a BRZ 16 plate as my second car as I want something fun to drive on weekends.

i have done a good bit of research but wanted to find out if this BRZ is a good price. 2016 94k miles. 1 owner from new. Full Subaru service history every 4-5k 2 keys 4 x brand new tyres, disks and pads and a 1 year old Kenwood entertainment system with sat-nav android and apple car play. The car has not been modified and drives like a dream. My concern is the mileage. The car is mine for £12,400. Is this a good price and should I have any further concerns?
Many thanks
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

·
Registered
719 Posts
Hello and welcome :)

Car prices are bonkers at the moment so it's hard to say but on paper, it sounds like a very fair deal (y)
Source: I'm basing this on what my GT86 (2015 75k miles) is currently worth and GT86's currently listed on AutoTrader (bigger sample size).
For the same money, you are looking at a much older car, say 2012-2014. Granted some have lower mileage but personally, I'd always prefer a newer car that's been used, over an older car that's just been sat around.

Following on from the above... I don't think you need to worry about the mileage. Folk are only scared of 100,000 miles because we think of things in multiples of 10. You tend to have a big party for your 40th birthday but not so much for your 48th :ROFLMAO:
There are plenty of members who have cars that have done well over 100,000 miles, some have even used them on track regularly. Just make sure you take car of the car and service it regularly.

Which makes for a nice segue in to...
The fact it's been "over serviced" and done every 4-5k miles, makes for a very strong selling point. I do the same with my own car.

While it's hard to tell from one photo. It looks to be in good condition.
To be completely honest (bearing in mind I owner a white GT86). I think the blue offered on the BRZ is the best colour for the twins.

As for no mods. While it's not in the same box as a turbo charger or a body kit. Someone did paint the brake calipers.

So long as you, or a mechanically minded friend have given it a good going over... I say go for it and start enjoying a very special car :cool:

·
Registered
Subaru BRZ 2.0L Lux 2016
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and welcome :)

Car prices are bonkers at the moment so it's hard to say but on paper, it sounds like a very fair deal (y)
Source: I'm basing this on what my GT86 (2015 75k miles) is currently worth and GT86's currently listed on AutoTrader (bigger sample size).
For the same money, you are looking at a much older car, say 2012-2014. Granted some have lower mileage but personally, I'd always prefer a newer car that's been used, over an older car that's just been sat around.

Following on from the above... I don't think you need to worry about the mileage. Folk are only scared of 100,000 miles because we think of things in multiples of 10. You tend to have a big party for your 40th birthday but not so much for your 48th :ROFLMAO:
There are plenty of members who have cars that have done well over 100,000 miles, some have even used them on track regularly. Just make sure you take car of the car and service it regularly.
Which makes for a nice segue in to...

The fact it's been "over serviced" and done every 4-5k miles, makes for a very strong selling point.

While it's hard to tell from one photo. It looks to be in good condition.
To be completely honest (bearing in mind I owner a white GT86), I think the blue offered on the BRZ, is the best colour for the twins.

As for no mods. While it's not in the same box as a turbo charger or a body kit... someone did paint the brake calipers.

So long as you, or a mechanically minded friend have given it a good going over... I say go for it and start enjoying a very special car :cool:
Thanks for the detailed response. I’m glad to have joined the group. The car is immaculate inside and out, I cannot find fault with it what so ever. I think I know a good car when I see one and think I’ve already fallen for her lol.

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
Thanks for the detailed response. I’m glad to have joined the group. The car is immaculate inside and out, I cannot find fault with it what so ever. I think I know a good car when I see one and think I’ve already fallen for her lol.

Thanks again :)
You are very welcome :)
Let us know how you get on (y)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Welcome.

I realise you have now bought the car, nevertheless thought you may be interested to know that if you grab a numberplate from a 2016 BRZ (you could use your own of course, but I just found another for sale on AT) and stick it in AT's car valuation tool along with a mileage of 94k, it determines an asking price of £12430 (or at least it did for me last night).

So it's a fairly safe bet the seller did exactly that before pricing the car for sale.

There's alot of "froth" in the market at the moment, some sellers will no doubt want to sit on their inflated prices for weeks and weeks until they are forced to get real, whereas looks like you have got a nice car quickly from a realistic seller at a decent price 🙂

EDIT I think the Autotrader valuation just goes on age, mileage and assumed good condition, clearly as a 1 owner car with exceptional service history your car would be worth more than a 3 / 4 owner car with average history......

Reactions: Kaviar

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Welcome David. Car looks great!!

Reactions: davidc187

·
Registered
226 Posts
Froth:

£15k for a 65k 2012 Auto GT86 !!!!!!

Much though I would love to think a 65k 2012 GT86 could be worth that (my own 62 plate car is currently sitting on similar mileage and I bought it with 58k on for ALOT less than £10k in Nov 2019) it is obviously ridiculous (unless the engine has been treated to Forced Induction).

It will be more ridiculous still once the GR86 launches and loads more GT86/BRZ come onto the market as a result.......

·
Registered
Subaru BRZ 2.0L Lux 2016
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome David. Car looks great!!
thank you
Welcome.

I realise you have now bought the car, nevertheless thought you may be interested to know that if you grab a numberplate from a 2016 BRZ (you could use your own of course, but I just found another for sale on AT) and stick it in AT's car valuation tool along with a mileage of 94k, it determines an asking price of £12430 (or at least it did for me last night).

So it's a fairly safe bet the seller did exactly that before pricing the car for sale.

There's alot of "froth" in the market at the moment, some sellers will no doubt want to sit on their inflated prices for weeks and weeks until they are forced to get real, whereas looks like you have got a nice car quickly from a realistic seller at a decent price 🙂
Froth:

£15k for a 65k 2012 Auto GT86 !!!!!!

Much though I would love to think a 65k 2012 GT86 could be worth that (my own 62 plate car is currently sitting on similar mileage and I bought it with 58k on for ALOT less than £10k in Nov 2019) it is obviously ridiculous (unless the engine has been treated to Forced Induction).

It will be more ridiculous still once the GR86 launches and loads more GT86/BRZ come onto the market as a result.......
What’s your thoughts on high mileage regarding the Boxer engine? Personally I have always brought fairly new cars and and still worry whether I have made the right choice as I want to keep this car for a good couple of years and hopefully get some money back on it when I decide to sell. I’m hoping to get 130,000 miles out of it at least. Also any thoughts or comments on the Vilanti tail lights would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
Cars last as long as you want them too, so long as you look after them.
Yours seems to have been very well looked after so far, keep on top of it and you'll be sorted 👍

As for the engine being a boxer, it's no more unreliable than any other format. I think a lot of the time folk get hung up on a particular engine model and paint very broad strokes.

Not all Porsche engines have issues with the IMS bearings.
Not all Subaru's have issues with head gaskets.
Dispite what the click bait videos and articles say 🤣

Another way of looking at it...
Folk have pushed the platform pretty far past the standard power level and where as there are limits, you can add an extra 50%, maybe even 75% pretty safely.
So on a standard car, all that extra strength and underlaying architecture isn't being push very hard at all 👍

Rule 1 of buying a new car...
Take the car out, get to know car and mostly importantly, enjoy it! 😁

·
Registered
226 Posts
thank you

What’s your thoughts on high mileage regarding the Boxer engine? Personally I have always brought fairly new cars and and still worry whether I have made the right choice as I want to keep this car for a good couple of years and hopefully get some money back on it when I decide to sell. I’m hoping to get 130,000 miles out of it at least. Also any thoughts or comments on the Vilanti tail lights would be appreciated :)
Firstly I would agree with everything Kaviar has already written, especially the bit about preferring a newer car that's been used to an older one that has sat around. Obviously I don't know exactly when your car hit the road for the first time but it would seem to have averaged 15 to 18k a year in the hands of one owner so has most likely been used for regular longer journeys (which together with the very regular services) could well mean it is at least as sound mechanically as 'say' my 2012 68k car is, as it is well known that the bulk of engine wear happens at start up and a 90k car that has seen plenty of motorway miles can often be in better condition than one that has done half those miles but over predominantly short urban journeys.

The only caveat I would add to the following comment:

Cars last as long as you want them too, so long as you look after them.
Is that some cars take alot more looking after than others and some of those that need the extra effort aren't always worth it 🙂

Happily for you (and everyone else on here for that matter) a BRZ/GT86 is clearly much more worth the effort than alot of other used cars but ALSO probably doesn't really NEED that much looking after (compared to alot of other used cars) due to being fundamentally both relatively simple and robustly engineered.

A brilliant drivers car that's easy cheap and fairly simple to own and maintain? The Japanese have been making 'em for decades and as one of the best examples you may well find that as those "good couple of years" and 130k milestones come and go your BRZ remains a compelling ownership proposition (i.e. you still want to hang onto it, unless tempted by the GR).

As a footnote, my brother's 2004 Passat 1.9TDI is currently sitting on about 225000 miles (AFAIK Engine / Turbo and Gearbox all still original, it's been in my family 14 years since my Dad bought it as a 100k 3 year old ex company car). Nothing unusual for that engine.

As for the BRZ / GT86 engine, it's a much better bet than some of the other carp out there these days. Small capacity (sub 1.5 litre) direct injection petrol turbo engines have become in vogue in recent years. Yes they make good power and torque and economy with low emissions from something light and compact (which all helps new car sales) but the reliability of some of them is absolutely shocking......

Reactions: Kaviar

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
thank you

Treat it with typical mechanical sympathy and you will be bored of it before it gives you trouble. Technologically its quite a basic car which is good for reliability, its not got masses of power being forced though it and its pretty light so its tends to fare well in terms of wear and tear, I would only expect to be paying for consumables.

Valentis are the most popular choice for these cars, nothing wrong with them, although sometimes you might get a dry solder joint which takes out a couple of LEDs but then again it might not. Cheapest place to buy them is from The Speedline, well it was when I bought mine 6 years ago.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts