GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

Newbie in the West Midlands

2K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  Keethos 
#1 ·
Hi Chaps,

Just found this site on a Google search and thought I'd register.

I ordered my GT about 4 weeks ago now and it is due on the 29th Sept.

My last three cars have all been Toyota's, 2 x Corolla, 1 x Auris, so I am very much a Toyota fan.

Back in the 90's I had an Opel Manta but that was my last foray into a sports car.

The dealer where I bought the Auris sent me a brochure for a GT test
drive and so I thought what they heck, they keep sending my junk mail so
I'll use them for a change.

Big mistake. Booked the test drive, got in the car and that was it, I knew I had to have one.

Also bought a personalised number plate in memory of my favourite pet Bunny Boy, FRODO, who died last year.

Sorry I'm very sentimental when it comes to pets and loved my Bunny so much.

But enough of that, can't wait for the car, but dread the mpg as I'm used to 42mpg in the Auris.

BTW anyone want to buy a 57 Auris T-Spirit?

See less See more
#3 ·
Ouch, I must admit though I think I only got about 30 out of the Manta. But that was 4 star in the days when the price was only a third of what it is now.
Ah well :)Edited by: FRODO

#4 ·
Welcome and congrats fellow midlander, what did you spec your car in? I'll hopefully get a bit more mileage out my the GT, I'm currently getting between 25-28 mpg.

Edited by: Keethos

#9 ·
Well done with your order.

I had a 150 mile drive home from the dealer and as I was taking it easy for the first few hundred miles, averaged about 44mpg.

It's now at about 600miles and shows an average of 40mpg from new. As well as boring frugal hybrids, has Toyota made an exciting frugal sportscar?Edited by: Targ86

#10 ·
Targ86 said:
Well done with your order.

I had a 150 mile drive home from the dealer and as I was taking it easy for the first few hundred miles, averaged about 44mpg.

It's now at about 600miles and shows an average of 40mpg from new. As well as boring frugal hybrids, has Toyota made an exciting frugal sportscar?
I'm about the same on mileage but average is 29.8 MPG. OOOPPSS!

#13 ·
Hi Frodo, I used to have a manta too great memories.............sigh!! Lost it to a berk on the A27

sorry to hear about your bunny too - v.sad....

#14 ·
Hi Phee,

That's a very nice post, thank you for your thoughts for my Bunny, VERY much appreciated

As for the Manta, my loss was mostly down to it just rusting away and getting very damp inside. I did have it for 8 years and it was 4 years old when I got it. Nearly clocked 100,000 miles. Great car and sigh indeed !!

#16 ·
He's here.
I had a phone call from the dealer today and it has arrived.
Just needs to be taxed on Friday and I'm away.
Yippee. I'm rather happy. Maybe you can tell

#20 ·
At the dealers right this minute picking up the car.
Just waiting for admin to complete the road tax and then I'm on the road.
Was rather excited last night and could not sleep.
I admit to not having been this excited about a new car before, whether it was the Manta or the Corrolla GT

#21 ·
Go easy at first and leave the traction control switched on, unless your a RWD drifting Goddess like Lauren

Alec

#24 ·
Cheers chaps, and no I'm no drift man

So, picked up at 7 miles now at about 40.
Couldn't help it

MPG start avg 17.1 now at 26.3
And it's nice on cruise control.

#26 ·
Congrats dude!!! Enjoy!!!

I find the cruise control a littlefiddly, previous car was a little nicer as it had an electronic throttle which meant that you could easily +1mph or -1mph by simply pressing a button, on the 86 though, it's more analog so you have to hold it up to + mph or - mph which I'm having to get used to as I currently keep on tapping the leaver up in hopes it + 1mph or tapping it down to - 1mph.

Edited by: Keethos

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.