GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
2014 GT86
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Have just bought a used GT86 this week and expecting to take delivery next week. Have owned a few Toyota's in the past that have been great fun, but recently been driving a BMW 330d, and just wanted something fun again so gone for the GT86. Previous Toyota's were Mk2 MR2, Mk2 MR2 turbo, Mk3 Supra, Corolla VVTLi and Mk7 Celica!

Have had a look over the main problems found with the GT86/BRZ, and noticed there are no recalls outstanding on the car i will be picking up ( 2014 auto), so hoping valve springs is not something i have to worry about!

Are there any other major/minor things that seem to crop up with them?

Might take me a while to get out of the BMW mind set as i have had the 330d for 6 years nearly. As far as the BMW goes, i know you can play about with settings etc using a coding app, is there anything similar for the 86? Also, any things of interest with the cars to expect? Will most likely get sorted with some UE headers at some point in the next year or so, already decided that!

Cheers,
Wes

Registered
2014 GT86
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the club Wes! The GT86 certainly is fun 馃槂 Love to see some pics when you get her.
yep, got a small test drive and could draw a few similarities to some of the qualities I really liked about my old Toyota鈥檚!

took a pic at the dealership, wonder if anyone recognises the plate? Looks absolutely standard to me, that might change 馃槀

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Registered
2014 GT86
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hopefully they will sort the mirror cover out!!
They are thankfully!

of the 3 for sale from dealers in Glasgow, I think this might be the lowest mileage and best condition I saw. Spotted a black TRD for sale, but it鈥檚 not had the valve recall done yet and is almost double the mileage of the one I鈥檝e picked up 馃榾

Registered
Not sure if anyone is into bikes, but the GT86 won鈥檛 be my only boxer 馃槀 View attachment 8083 View attachment 8084 View attachment 8085
Not as much as I used to be, two neglected KTM singles in my garage.......

Had a R1100GS boxer twin twenty years ago (very similar to the more common R1150 that followed). BM boxers are of course known for the. very noticeable rocking motion you get when blipping the throttle off idle, once or twice have detected similar with the GT86 (e.g. if engine nearly stalls but doesn't can sometimes detect that same slight side to side motion).

With all that extra chassis mass to dampen it out it is nothing like as pronounced as with a motorcycle, but still another nice bit of "character" all the same compared to yer average modern tin box.

Registered
2014 GT86
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not as much as I used to be, two neglected KTM singles in my garage.......

Had a R1100GS boxer twin twenty years ago (very similar to the more common R1150 that followed). BM boxers are of course known for the. very noticeable rocking motion you get when blipping the throttle off idle, once or twice have detected similar with the GT86 (e.g. if engine nearly stalls but doesn't can sometimes detect that same slight side to side motion).

With all that extra chassis mass to dampen it out it is nothing like as pronounced as with a motorcycle, but still another nice bit of "character" all the same compared to yer average modern tin box.
funnily enough, that鈥檚 my car and both bikes horizontal pistons now! The GT86, BMW R9T and my project BMW K100 16v ( ex police bike) R9T being a boxer twin as you know, and the K an inline horizontal 4 馃榾. I was looking to get another bike before deciding on getting a car, KTM superduke or an older RC8 were on my list, KTMs are great fun!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts