GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Finally got my hands on a GT86 today! In black (including rims!), 17k miles.
has a few minor scuff scratches which i should be able to get rid of but all in all, it looks incredible and really interesting to drive, I'm 22 and came from a Merc A class to this. Finally wanted to start my own car project while also semi-daily driving it.

Any advice when im starting out with this car?

I was thinking about what car mods i want to do first. Not entirely sure but I was thinking starting from interior > engine > exterior but im definately new to this scene so going to do some hard research on it (obviously did some previously already!). Really want a new entertainment system with apple car play already as this one sadly has no navigation system.

Thanks all!
Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Attachments

Registered
Hello and welcome 馃憢馃檪
It's pretty mad to see such low mileage on a pre-facelift car! I can't tell if the shark fin is original or not? If so, I guess it would be a 2015? If not... out of interest, how old is the car?

The topic of "First Mods" comes up a lot and the advice is pretty much always the same...

Take some time to really get to know the car first, then work out what goals you want to set.
Track days are a great way to do this and also help with the best mod you can make, driver mods 馃憤

Getting philosophical for a moment 馃槀
When seeking advice, always start with a problem, rather than a solution
Rather than thinking along the lines of "I'd like to add X part, what's a good model or brand"... Try ponder things like "I would like to achieve X, what would help that?"
Back on topic... 馃檭

Once you've got a direction, there's all sorts of members projects you can check out, who will all be very glad to help 馃憤

Off the top of my head...
  • Conscript's car is a really nice example (of what I would call) an OEM+ build.
  • Mine own more geared towards trackdays while still being easy to live with every day, which is a balancing act.
  • There's a few who have gone down the forced induction route, squeezing as much power as they can from the twins.
  • Some choose to stay stock.
  • While Sam is in the process of dropping in a V8.
  • Plus lots more of other directions.
Modifying a car is personal thing so whatever you end up doing, make sure it's something you enjoy and like. Don't worry too much about what nutters who use far too many emojis say on the Internet lol.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and welcome 馃憢馃檪
It's pretty mad to see such low mileage on a pre-facelift car! I can't tell if the shark fin is original or not? If so, I guess it would be a 2015? If not... out of interest, how old is the car?

The topic of "First Mods" comes up a lot and the advice is pretty much always the same...

Take some time to really get to know the car first, then work out what goals you want to set.
Track days are a great way to do this and also help with the best mod you can make, driver mods 馃憤

Getting philosophical for a moment 馃槀
When seeking advice, always start with a problem, rather than a solution
Rather than thinking along the lines of "I'd like to add X part, what's a good model or brand"... Try ponder things like "I would like to achieve X, what would help that?"
Back on topic... 馃檭

Once you've got a direction, there's all sorts of members projects you can check out, who will all be very glad to help 馃憤

Off the top of my head...
  • Conscript's car is a really nice example (of what I would call) an OEM+ build.
  • Mine own more geared towards trackdays while still being easy to live with every day, which is a balancing act.
  • There's a few who have gone down the forced induction route, squeezing as much power as they can from the twins.
  • Some choose to stay stock.
  • While Sam is in the process of dropping in a V8.
  • Plus lots more of other directions.
Modifying a car is personal thing so whatever you end up doing, make sure it's something you enjoy and like. Don't worry too much about what nutters who use far too many emojis say on the Internet lol.
Thanks for this Kaviar.

Milage is definately a bonus on the pre facelift model! I believe the shark fin is the original and great assumption because it is indeed a 15 plate.

I plan to give the car a good go for atleast a couple of months before i decide anything. But i think you're right, i just need to know what i want to achieve with it, it's going to be a semi daily (as i now work from home and the office now) but i would love to take it to a track day and will be planning to while it's stock maybe just to get that experience.

Great advice mate, thank you very much, will keep coming back to this to check out the crazy builds you mentioned! Cheers mate, all the best!

Registered
Welcome Kyber. Great advice here. Try to avoid the facebook questions like "what is the best exhaust" etc, because if you are prepared to do some research yourself rather than getting an instant answer from some "expert" you will benefit. Part of the fun with this car is gradually making it "yours" and that takes some dedication and effort to get it right. Look through the modification threads on here and try to meet some owners. You will get a lot from a face to face chat.

It sounds like you are starting down the mod road in a very sensible way. Good luck!!

Reactions: Kyber and Kaviar

Super Moderator
Welcome to the club Kyber. As previously said, drive your car to get the feel of it first then decide how you want to change it. Nice find by the way,17k miles on a 15 plate 馃憤

Registered
Hi Kaviar,
How do I know the mods done on conscripts car?
Thanks.
I don't think they have a dedicated build thread sadly?

Best thing to go is have a look via a search with a filter. This should have them applied... https://www.gt86ownersclub.co.uk/search/4368/
Keep an eye out for any posts within the "What did you do to your GT86/BRZ/FRS today?" thread.

It's not a perfect way to view things but it should cover it (y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts