GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
So I spent (wasted the great weather?) more than 48 hours from Friday afternoon to Sunday night on preparing my car instead of allowing dealer to do it. this is how it looked on Thurs night after I had personally just removed all the protection films at the dealer and brought it home, (note the allocation numbers on screen & blobs of hydraulic fluid on front wing) - a lot of work ahead :

Edited by: Senna

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Please note: I did NOT use any rotary polishing equipment, - just elbow grease and MANY cloths...

Day one:
1) I jetwashed the car (medium presure) to get rid of any dust and crud on the surface.2) I then snow foamed the whole car (medium thickness) & jetwashed off after 10 mins.
3) Snowed foamed again, much thicker this time.
4) Hand wash with 3 chanille mitts, 3 bucket system, with grit-guards, Autoglym body conditioner shampoo.
5) Rinse off with Jet wash on low pressure.
6) Hand dry with soft dry & waffle cloths (McQuires)

Day two:
1) Removed any dust with light application of microfibre cloths & then proceed to remove the god-awful 'Toyota' name badge on boot with heat gun, masking tape and Sykes Pickavant trim remover tool. Residue of foam and adhesive removed via AG tar remover.
2) DoDo Juice Lime Prime application, - whole car bodywork. Takes time & patience, (everything done by hand).
3) Cleaned wheels with Autoglym clean wheels & Alloy wheel seal.
4) Removed all unwanted stickers, writing from glass. Residue off via AG tar remover.
5) Cleaned all glass surfaces with AG Glass polish / Fast Glass. 
Took the decision at this point to only use my Bilt Hamber clay bar where really needed, - like to remove stubborn film lines marks on roof. (The paint was way too soft for excessive claying, and as I wasn't removing much because the car was relatively free on contimainents). Two of these lines were actually depressions (how is the film applied?, - looks like some heat / force used! - not good on new paint) This is also when I discovered the other paint faults on rear wing canard (at the start of day 2). Used Clay on roof with Mcquires Qwik Detailer.
I also notice the completely OTT use of alloy protectant spray all over the engine bay, even sprayed all over top of transmission: (rang dealer, - other GT's same he says)...

Day Three:
This is the big one: I am not going to wax the car, I am going to Body Wrap (Seal) it, with Wolf's Nano seal.
But first I have some interior work to do, cleaning the glass, removing the seat protectors, protection films, etc. Fitted mats. I must say the car was immaculate inside. Brilliant. There is a snag however, - I get stuck in the back and it's like a scene from 'Panic room" ! (Or maybe Apollo 13)...
The gloss on the paint is already very good indeed and a detailer showed me just how good the body wrap is, - it's easy to just wipe on...not so easy to get off, however, more like hard wax!
Guidelines say apply two coats to car, but I only apply single coat to vertical surfaces, twice to boot, bonnet and roof. 

I did encounter a setback or two , - some fine scratches on NSR wing (under small window) that required Prime to remove Nano then polish out the marks with Wolf's shine & seal, then re-apply body wrap... it's all very time consuming this!

Also

By this time my wife is getting cross with me: I need a total of about 80 microfibre cloths to complete this job, but I only have 36, so we have to stink out the washing machine on a relay system of washing and drying!

By this time I am also getting quite exhausted & am fuelled by glasses of ROSE and then Water after the booze runs out! I am sweating like an American tourist after a flight of stairs...
I push on: double coating the bonnet last. 
Finally, I do the tyres by applying a thin coat of AG Tyre dressing, applied with a microfibre softpad. 
I finish at 7.45pm.

Here is the results: 

The smaller beads of water are simply due to the fine mist spray I used. When a water droplet forms its seems totally allergic to the car and runs off at amazing speeds!

Hope u all found it interesting.

Now I can really start enjoy my new car ! Pity the sun has vanished!

Cheers
Senna

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After 3 days work, - it's never going out !

Thanks for the contacts, mind!

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gt_sjo said:
I need to come borrow your workshop.. I hope you're local.. Ha ha

I am deep in the stix of Cheshire / Shropshire border...

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

a18ttc said:
Incredible Sifu Senna. You are a Master Jedi.

Cheers.

I forgot to mention,I even nano sealed the rear screen, so the beading will look the same.

If you submit to my training, I foresee you will become a great Jedi knight.

But patience ! Do not rush into battle (waxing) !

...If into the dealers valet bay you go, - only pain will you find!

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Senna said:
I am deep in the stix of Cheshire / Shropshire border... 
High quality work there, if I put that much effort into cleaning/prepping it I'd never want to take it out on the road again!

So who else is around Cheshire ? Maybe we can do a local meet up here and get some colours other than the Ginger, White and Grey they had "Darn Sarf"

'though Senna might not want my car to close to his, it has squashed flies on it !

Alec (Silver in Macc) Edited by: keelerad

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A Brazillian ???

Here is my favourite piccy of mine

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
GT86Owner said:
Looks very glossy in that pic

Yes, the DoDo juice Lime Prime did a superb job of preparing the surface, much like a clay bar but nowhere near as harsh (ideal on new paint).

Please note,: NO DO-DO's were harmed in the making of this picture !

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Did you use the LP by hand or machine? I tried some on the missus' Fiesta where she swirled the paint more than the local bos-wash on just the second wash of the car!

Didn't touch it :(

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.