GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

My BRZ Test Drive

848 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  en8wall 
#1 ·
Today I had a test drive in the Subaru BRZ.
First thing that struck me was WOW!</font> what a fantastic colour. The model was in Subaru's WRX blue, which is obviously a good bit lighter than the Toyota blue, but what a colour! It really, really suits the car and I reckon Subaru are going to sell bucket loads of them. Basically if I hadn't already ordered a GT86, I'd be seriously considering buying a blue Subaru instead.

The model I drove was the manual SE Lux. So it had as standard black leather with alcantra, auto headlights, dual zone climate, cruise control, heated mirrors, 17" wheels (same as Toyota's), which I understand are all above the basic trim level BRZ (the SE model). So with metallic paint at £500, this puts the on the road price at £26,995.

I've posted seperately about the stereo, so wont go into detail here. However the other big difference I noticed (apart from the front end) was the engine noise. About 4000rpm and upwards,I reckon the engine has a deeper growl than I had noticed on the Toyota. Certainly when I opened her up on a straight bit of road, or overtook another vehicle, what a fantastic noise. I seriously think the Toyota is quieter. I did point the engine noiseout to the dealer, whothen stated a previous customer who had also driven a GT86 thought the same. Before I even mentioned Toyota myself.

The only "negative" part of the experience was when the dealer said after checking on the Subaru system, a car ordered today would have a delivery in March 2013 OUCH!
</font>

I had a look again at the rear wheel arches, and not unsurprisingly like the GT86, there are two empty holes in the edge of the bumper. I had a poke at the inside wheel arch cover and sure enough (as had been said elsewhere for the GT86), the wheel arch liner is slightly loose and indeed just by poking it I could make it rattle.
I think any BRZ or GT86 owner needs to seek this matter addressed.

Oh and I had it out on all types of roads in both really wet and dry road conditions. I pushed it a little on one corner in the wet and guess what? A little bit of rear end wiggle!
. This is a SERIOUSLY </font>FUN</font> car and I cant wait to get hold of my GT86.

If I hadn't already placed an order for a GT86, I'd be seriously connsidering a blue BRZ SE Lux. But to have to wait eight months until March 2013. That would be almost unbearable! The sad thing for Subaru is that unless delivery times change radically, they may lose a lot of sales to Toyota, as I reckon quite a few potential owners may buy Toyota instead of Subaru because of the current eight months wait. That would be a shame for Subaru.

Edited by: Speedymurr

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice write up and interesting you thought the car sounded different.

Subaru uk didn't want to get stuck with cars, so it has taken little of the production quota, in the short term at least.

Best colours imho; burnt orange and WR blue mica, plus also white.

#3 ·
speedy
Good write up.

I'm onto Toyota about the wheel arch holes and have said exactly what you said about liner being loose. I did see some clips/covers on the front of the front wheel arch on a GT86 that could do the job. They have a Phillips screw head to them. See wheel arch holes thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.