GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this wont be on much intrest to some of you, but has anyone been on the ft86 forum and seen how much r&d is going in to turbo kits, for anyone looking at tuning these cars up its looking very promising over the next 12 months. cant wait to see what sumo power and litchfield will develop aswell. im thinking alot of overtime needs to be done

chris

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
I was looking at the Litchfield zero lag turbo kit they are developing, very interesting indeed! Keep us posted!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think gtr32 is having some work done at litchfields soon might be worth asking him to get some info out of them

·
Registered
619 Posts
Nope not me, IcanraffordanLFA is on his BRZ.

I'm all up for an ECUtek upgrade but for me first port of call is exhaust.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh yeah thats right sorry mate my mistake, yeah once ive got my 1000 miles out the way and get a feel for the car ill be making a phone call aswell

·
Administrator
5,798 Posts
It does seem that some of the early kits will have inherant problems though. The intake kits seem to have low down power issues. Hopefully these will start ironing out.
I definitely think a group trip to Litchfield would be awesome if they were up for it and see if we can get a discount on ECUtek stuff.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
You're not going to get very far bolting a turbo onto this engine and running it on pump fuel. The compression ratio is too high, even though it is direct injection. The 'success' some people are having is greatly down to them running E85 fuel, which I don't think anyone stocks in the UK anymore.

There are also potential issues with running this kind of fuel. Sure, they may have checked out the fuel pump and injector compatibility, but there are other seals/o-rings etc. in the system which have to be compatible or they will fail over time with high amounts of ethanol present.

You only have to look at Subaru's turbocharged version of the FA20. For 300ps, they drop the static CR down to 10.6:1, which is a much more reasonable place to be.

If I were doing my own turbo conversion, i'd probably go down to about 11:1, run half a bar of boost on a suitable turbo, and be happy with whatever the result is.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
^^^^^ The man talks a lot of sense ^^^^^^

Which is why i'm interested to see how these turbo kits stand up to long term use. Running high levels of boost(which customers always want to eeek a little bit more from)at the stock compression ratio is a recipe for disaster IMO.

·
Registered
619 Posts
gt_sjo said:
You're not going to get very far bolting a turbo onto this engine and running it on pump fuel. The compression ratio is too high, even though it is direct injection. The 'success' some people are having is greatly down to them running E85 fuel, which I don't think anyone stocks in the UK anymore.

There are also potential issues with running this kind of fuel. Sure, they may have checked out the fuel pump and injector compatibility, but there are other seals/o-rings etc. in the system which have to be compatible or they will fail over time with hivgh amounts of ethanol present.

You only have to look at Subaru's turbocharged version of the FA20. For 300ps, they drop the static CR down to 10.6:1, which is a much more reasonable place to be.

If I were doing my own turbo conversion, i'd probably go down to about 11:1, run half a bar of boost on a suitable turbo, and be happy with whatever the result is.

Very similar to my BMW Turbo, the M50 lump is also high compression so we've have to drop the ratio to run the turbo kit. I would love to see some super charger kits.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im looking forward to seeing what superchargers are made for this aswell, every project seems to be for turbos, except or the hks video and the gazoo racing stuff ive not seen anyone else trying it

·
Registered
363 Posts
My feeling is that the best power upgrade from the factory will consist of an increase in engine capacity to retain the existing characteristics.

Whether that will happen or not is another matter.

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,869 Posts
DavidGT86 said:
My feeling is that the best power upgrade from the factory will consist of an increase in engine capacity to retain the existing characteristics.

Whether that will happen or not is another matter.
Or let it rev till 9k rpm with 250 HP and shorter gearing.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.