GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick one to assertain whether I am doing it wrong, whether it is just my car or whether others have experienced this:When I change down from 3rd to 2nd or if I have gone from Neutral to 2nd I find it quite difficult to put in gear. Changing up to all gears is smooth and easy but for some reason going down into 2nd is not as smooth or easy; is it just me!?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Not noticed any particular issue with down into 2nd myself, I'll try and pay attention next time I drive mine to see if it feels any different from any others.

There is a physical guard (the lift the knob) to stop you going past and into reverse, I wonder if this might be involved if you are trying to move the stick too far to the left as you change down into 2nd

Alec

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Years ago I had a new Toyota yaris that's gearboxwas verydifficult to smoothly change down inlower gears. When I took it to the dealers they said they are built to tight tolerances and to just give it time. As I put more miles on the car it freed up and become really slick.
Just an experience that may be relevant.

·
Registered
619 Posts
yeah could be that or a selector fork issue highlight it to the dealer so that you've identified it early

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,869 Posts
Mine is a bit notchy while its warming up. If you match the revs before pushing it into gear its fine, just the syncro having trouble while its cold......

Again I like it!! adds to a feel of a raw machine at your fingertips.....

I wonder if it was intended.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I find double de clutching for the first few miles, until it warms up, helps. Especially into 2nd, from both 1st & 2nd. It does get much better with time, though. After 5minutes, it should all be warm enough not to need that.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
GT86Owner said:
Mine is a bit notchy while its warming up. If you match the revs before pushing it into gear its fine, just the syncro having trouble while its cold......

Mirror image of mine as does the same thing...think this is a trait of the GT86 maybe...

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,869 Posts
Celica66 said:
GT86Owner said:

Mirror image of mine as does the same thing...think this is a trait of the GT86 maybe...
Toyota had an engineer on the project in charge of "Gearbox feel" so it is highly likey is was intended..... not a trait

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Not a problem at all, i am coming across wrong here....i love my car to bits and wont be getting rid of it for a very long time....just all about learning the car from a drivers point of view as to how to get the best out of it.....more likely human error anyway...and not my perfect GT86

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks - I will double de clutch when colder as it was this morning on my way to work that it bothered me most but I may let the dealer know just in case as well.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
You shouldn't need to double de-clutch, and any shifts should be effortless. If you don't have this, take it back!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Let's not forget that your cars are new,We've all been talking about running in engines & let's not forget that gearboxes are complexed pieces of kit on modern cars nowadays.

It's not a coincidence that most of you are experiencing "notchy" gearchanges" either on up or downshifts,What's the common denominator here guys???

ALL YOUR CARS ARE NEW SO ARE BEING RUN IN!!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
My box is stiff which is incompatible with fast pedal work and the way the revs fall quickly. Still got to finish the run in, then if its not loosened up by 5k I'm going to think about changing gearbox oil.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.