GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone going to try and do this? Can't find anywhere in the UK at the moment to get the bulbs. I'm tempted to get some from the State as they're quite cheap and will neaten up the look of the car a little as well. Think they should have fitted some at the rear as standard TBH as it would go with the LED brake/lights, makes the rear cluster look a bit better too:

The only problem is that in the states they don't have the side turn signals on the wing so I'm not sure what is needed. I can't decide if I just want to do just the rear, or the front as well, in which case the side repeater will look odd being the only standard bulbs on the car.

Are the resistors needed for the wing or is the flash pattern only determined by the front and rear bulbs?

Also the resistor packs get hot, so I'm still not convinced I like the idea of hanging these behind the trim. Does no-one make LED bulbs that don't need these?

I do know that you have to be careful with light patterns as most LED kits aren't as bright as the standard bulbs and therefore not visible in daylight.

G

·
The LEDs themselves aren't usually the problem, that comes with the circuitry. They work differently to filament bulbs and there are potential issues with both power/brightness and flash rate. Little electrickery gubbins often has to be installed to enable their use.Sorry if I got a bit technical there.

·
Registered
329 Posts
lordgrover said:
The LEDs themselves aren't usually the problem, that comes with the circuitry. They work differently to filament bulbs and there are potential issues with both power/brightness and flash rate. Little electrickery gubbins often has to be installed to enable their use.Sorry if I got a bit technical there.

On my 3 series, when i replaced the indicators with LEDs I had to wire in resistors to get them to work properly without 3x speed flashing and a bulb warning.

Not sure on the GT, will give it a try once it arrives ! :D

·
Administrator
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The ones on eBay are a minefield. I couldn't find any that were the recommended brightness, pattern or size. I'm sure some may pop up though. I've asked a couple of vendors on the FT86 forum about the wing indicators. One was asking for $99 a pair which was a bit steep, but they do seem the best out there so far.

·
Administrator
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm an electical person at heart so I completely understand why and how to do the resistors, hence also understanding how hot they are likely to become.
Don't like the idea of them hanging near plastic or carpet trim anywhere. I also don't know if they're needed on the wings, as the bulb there is of lower power, and if so, where could they be hidden? The resistors will definitely be needed on the 86!
FYI, it's actually down to the resistance of the tungstenwire normally inside a bulb that dictates the flash rate, and the normal hyperflashing is there to indicate you have a blown bulb. It's due to the fact that LEDs have such little resistance that the circuitry imitates a blown bulb.

·
Administrator
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Targ86 said:
my other car has as standard option, rear led lights and auto lights, which means the rear led light clusters are permanently on. there is NO issue with lack of brightness during the day.
Sorry dude, am I missing something? I'm only on about the brightness of the indicators, not the rear lights.I've seen posts over on the FT forum suggesting that most usual LEDreplacements that people use are less bright than the standard bulbs and aren't very visible in the day. This would obviously not be good.

I'm doing some research now. I've been offered everything from the states for $175 delivered that will replace the flasher unit and all 6 bulbs.... will report back

·
Administrator
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right, I have a nice simple and cheap solution. No need to cut wires and install the heat generating resistors in each corner.
I'm hoping that the lights I've selected and showing below are going to be good enough, but they're the best I could find.

Flasher module £12 - This replaces the flasher module under the steering wheel, removes the need for resistors: eBay link
*Note* I have found a flasher module in the states that can give you 3 flash tap indications when you tap the stalk. It's about $80 dollars but will also work as a flasher module for LED lights too. If you want, I'll find the link again.
Side-indicators £3- Indicators on the front wing, pair: eBay Link
Front & Rear lights £11- 18 SMD bulbs, pretty much the same size as the normal bulbs, pack of 5: eBay Link

Under £40 delivered for the lot

Edited by: Kodename47

·
Registered
855 Posts
Those seem pretty good, and like the module that gives the 3 flashes on tab of arm. Have u tried them yet? how do they perform?

·
Administrator
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's pricey that flasher module, depends on whether you like that or not. The guys in the states are happy and are using them. I personally don't value that at $80 + delivery, if it was half of that I possibly may have bought one.
I'm in the process of ordering the lot so will see how they come out....

·
Administrator
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Targ86 said:
Yes and there are amber, red and white rear LED lights as a result. And all colours are nice and bright and easily seen even during daylight.
The problem lies in the fact that the 86 uses a single bulb with reflector housing, to imitate this best, you'd need the most LEDs on the replacement bulb without being too small or large for the fitment. I've had to go on a best guess and checking measurements. A bulb has full 360 degree light output and you have to get as close to this as possible or it simply wont work on these cars due to the way it reflects to magnify the light.

If a car comes designed with a LED rear cluster, then the LEDs are integrated and designed to light directly out the cluster, usually without reflector housings. Like BMW rear clusters, each LED is shone straight to the rear of the cluster, is not designed with reflections in mind and uses many LEDs for visibility. Just shoving rear facing LEDs in our clusters won't work as it just wont be visible.

·
Administrator
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I've just installed the LEDs that I purchased. They work well and are very visible so I'm happy
 All housings look clear so no amber reflections too.
People have asked for a brief guide to replacing the Flasher Module.

The flasher module is located under the steering wheel. You can replace it without removing any trim but you'd struggle to mount it in the original bracket. You could cable tie it in place and leave the original one in. I decided to mount it properly though, so here goes.

To remove the trim under the wheel:

Undo the philips screw on the left (near centre console)
Pull off LH trim - it's just mounted with clips
Pull the RH trim away - again just mounted will clips
The cente trim is just held on by metal tabs and needs to be lifted off

Here's a pic to show it all:

And then the flasher unit (between the steering column and metal bracket):

Pull out the connector on the rear of the flasher unit. Then pull the flasher unit down and out with the mounting clip attached, swap the clip over to the new unit and bang in the new module. Connect the cable and voila.

Then just replace the bulbs. I really would advise 18 SMD's for the main bulbs as you wouldn't want any less light. They're large so a bit of a squeeze to get into the rear housing, but do-able. You definitely couldn't fit any larger! As soon as I have a video uploaded I'll post it.
Edited by: Kodename47

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.