GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed most people on here have gone for the leather option, am I the only one whos not keen on leather? What would make you choose it over cloth? I agree they do look nice in leather but leathers cold in the winter, you stick to it in summer, it also is easy to mark with jeans etc. Not to mention the extra cost!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Only the sides are normal leather, the rest is Alcantara leather which grips you well (and pretty sure it won't get blazing hot in the summer or freezing cold in the winter). I agree its lot of money, I've gone for cloth partly because of this, secondly I found the leather seats just a bit too snug/hard so I'm thinking the cloth will flex a lil more and not be so hard.

·
Registered
619 Posts
cold wont be an issue you have heated seats

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It gets cold enough in winter! I have leathers In my current car so I know how cold it gets and it's not pleasant! I'm constantly worried about marking them too.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
R32 GTR said:
cold wont be an issue you have heated seats
Unless the heat is instant which it isn't in my current car it's still freezing cold in winter when you first get in.

G

·
Cold? Do you wear thin shorts in the winter or just a bit soft?

I've had nothing but leather for twenty-odd years and not even thought about whether it's cold momentarily, which is what we're talking about. Same in the sunshine, it's not like the plastic seats of the sixties & seventies which WERE bad. Leather, especially the leather products in use today are far superior to the 1/2" thick hide of a fifties jaguaaarrr.
Edited by: lordgrover

·
Registered
278 Posts
The Alcantara inserts are quite wide across the width of the seats. They will give excellent grip and stop the seats getting extremely cold or hot whatever the weather.

If you are thinking of vinyl or all leather, don't as these types of seats are different.

I've had all leather before and also leather & Alcantara on other cars. I've found the part leathers best to live with.Edited by: Speedymurr

G

·
The red flashes are a nice touch to the cloth seats, shame it's not an option on leather.The full-on-in-yer-face tart's handbag red seats aren't for me.< id="_clearly_component__" ="text/">#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; } <div id="_clearly_component__next_pages_container">

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm pretty much on the fence with them too, as in I'd have them but I wouldn't go out of my way to get them. I just can't see why they are superior?

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Mike_89 said:
I'm pretty much on the fence with them too, as in I'd have them but I wouldn't go out of my way to get them. I just can't see why they are superior?
Hi Mike_89,

I think from a practical point of view they are not really superior. Just what people prefer. The leater is nice to touch and the alcantera gives a sporty feel.

Just as a note. The middle parts being alcantera does mean they wont be too cold in the winter, more like cloth seat in this respect. But as an extra you do get heated seats anyway, which I quite liked.

I've ordered leather/red alcantera and have to wait till september even thoguh I ordered the car in December!
because the red alcantera is not a popular option apparently.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Well when we all meet up for the GT86 owners meet later on in the year in Aviemore, we can compare each others cars.

That's the beauty of having this as an option, it's personal choice and we can have the advantage of comparing the options we've chosen.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Speedymurr said:
Well when we all meet up for the GT86 owners meet later on in the year in Aviemore, we can compare each others cars.

That's the beauty of having this as an option, it's personal choice and we can have the advantage of comparing the options we've chosen.
your really trying to push the Scotland meetup arnt you. I'm probably game but would have to make it a holiday trip (as well as planning well in advance) with the wife as well. It a fair old drive.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I went for the leather/alcantara option after careful deliberation. The main reason for my deliberation was the cost. £1600 is a lot of money but having experienced the upgrade seats I couldn't look back.

In my opinion the upgrade seats are superior. The materials are far higher quality. Alcantara is regularly used in high performance sports cars for its benefits - low wear/high grip/unaffected by temperature.

If people are on the fence my suggestion would be not to make a decision you'd later regret for the extra initial outlay.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Hi Guys

I have gone for Cloth as had leather in many cars and not too impressed

I have to say a huge thank you to
<table ="tableBorder" align="center" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="3" style="text-align: left; border-top-width: 1px; border-right-width: 1px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-left-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-right-style: solid; border-bottom-style: solid; border-left-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb204, 204, 204; border-right-color: rgb204, 204, 204; border-bottom-color: rgb204, 204, 204; border-left-color: rgb204, 204, 204; : rgb255, 255, 255; width: 954px; table-layout: fixed; "><t><tr><td rowspan="3" valign="top" ="msgOddTableSide" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-size: 11px; line-height: 1.4; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">Kodename47 as this is exactly the cloth seats i have ordered with red inserts and 1st time i have seen a pic
But if you want the red inserts you have to wait as my car is now Oct and yet with plain black was Aug so apparently it takes 2 months to put the red inserts in???</td></tr></t></table>

·
Administrator
5,769 Posts
Celica66 said:
I have to say a huge thank you to
<TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px solid; TEXT-ALIGN: left; BORDER-LEFT: 1px solid; WIDTH: 954px; TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed; BORDER-TOP: 1px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px solid; rgb255: " cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 align=center ="tableBorder"><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD style="LINE-HEIGHT: 1.4; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11px; rgb251: " vAlign=top rowSpan=3 ="msgOddTableSide">Kodename47 as this is exactly the cloth seats i have ordered with red inserts and 1st time i have seen a pic
But if you want the red inserts you have to wait as my car is now Oct and yet with plain black was Aug so apparently it takes 2 months to put the red inserts in???</TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>

You are welcome sir!
Did you go for red inserts?? I think that was the red handbrake/door/wheel additions. The cloth seat only comes in that scheme as far as I know. When I got offered it I turned it down as the dealer wasn't sure what it meant....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Its a matter of personal choice I guess. It has been difficult to compare cloth v leather/alcantara as it seems none of the dealers actually have a car with cloth seats so not possible to tell if better or worse than each other. I have gone for cloth having had my last two cars with full leather and leather/alcantara. On the car with leather I was constantly checking that the heater was off as it always felt too hot after a few minutes driving.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts