GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1301 - 1320 of 1327 Posts

·
Bringer of good vibes
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,301
It turns out the heat gun isn't required when you wrap with Alcantara as the material once removed from the backing sheet is rather stretchy, making this job rather forgiving and simpler to wrap. My squeegee proved useful to make the new material wrap round the tighter areas, allowing me to achieve a much more satisfying result.

And now to put it back into the car and see the finished look.

I'm pretty happy with that. However, my man-maths miscalulated and I seemingly have a large roll of Alcantara left in the house...

·
Registered
508 Posts
They look brilliant! Please could you share a link to the Alcantara warp?

If it makes you feel any better, I too have a massive roll of Alcantara just laying around. Although mine doesn't have an adhesive backing.

·
Bringer of good vibes
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,303
They look brilliant! Please could you share a link to the Alcantara warp?

If it makes you feel any better, I too have a massive roll of Alcantara just laying around. Although mine doesn't have an adhesive backing.
Thanks dude :) Of course, I bought it from here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262842910425

Genuinely really happy with how it turned out and astonished with the ease of it all compared to vinyl.

·
Bringer of good vibes
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,304
Not too much to update as of yet, I have a few bits on order but delivery is going to be slow as expected. Went for a drive with a friend and had some more practice at taking photos at night. Dark cars are incredibly difficult to get right, I'm not a fan of the light reflections but I'm struggling to find a way to capture the shape of the car in the dark. Still, decent practice and nice to get some fresh air amidst these testing times.

·
Bringer of good vibes
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,305
With my friend's 86 at the Kesler stables, the neighbourhood is wondering if I'm wheeling and dealing :D Looking after and modifying his black 86 while he's away is fun.

The weather today has been horrid so I focused on his interior. I found in the glovebox a TRD Push Start button so decided to get this fitted for him.

I've had a look online to see how others have approached removing the start button/USB aux trim but none have been that conclusive so I went my own way. The trim kit I bought (see a few posts back) had a set of trim removal tools which came in handy for this very job.

I start with getting a feel of the trim piece and how to get a firm grip, I got more access by having the gear shifter in 2nd/4th/6th. There's a slight wiggle which was enough to have one of the trim removal tools to slot in on underside of the bottom corner. Having that wedged in I gave the trim a pull and the bottom side popped out of place.

Once this was done I could have the trim piece that was wedged in go further in, then I grabbed the metal interior trim remover tool as I needed something quite sturdy to fit in the gap at the bottom. Once that was in I could give the tool a pull towards me and the trim popped out.

Once out, I removed the connector for the OEM push start button and then unclipped the button from the trim. It's fixed by a tab at the top and bottom, so get your thumb and finger to pinch them towards each other and the button slides forward and out from the trim.

Installing the TRD button and fitting everything back together was super quick and easy.

·
Bringer of good vibes
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,306
Amplify Detailing sent me their ceramic wax to try and after a conversation about general winter protection, I'm informed the ceramic wax can be applied the wheels as well as the body panels, so the next few posts are to demonstrate the method and pain I went through to capture this.

Firstly, I needed my jack, axle stands and also a new addition to my ever growing collection of equipment, some ramps. The pain I endured was related to the removal of the wheels, my new impact wrench connected up with the spline key used to remove the wheel nuts but almost every time I removed the wheel nut it was lodged in to the spline key and so I had to use a hammer to dislodge them. However, after an hour of what should have been minutes, the wheels were off.

Once the wheels were off, I set off to wash them and prepare them to be waxed. The first step after hosing the wheels down was to apply iron fallout remover. Leaving it to dwell for a few minutes, I agitated, rinsed and then sprayed the wheels with Amplify's wheel cleaner.

Agitate again with my chemical resistant wheel brushes and hosed off.

I had a spare Pirelli race tyre I received from a Ferrari event so I used that to prop the wheel up the other way so I could wash the inner wheel barrels too.

·
Bringer of good vibes
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,307
Using my MetroVac Air Force Blaster Sidekick for contactless drying on the wheels.

Once dried, it was ready to start with applying the ceramic wax.

Applying in a circular motion, the spoke, rim and barrels were waxed and I left it to cure between 5-10 minutes before using a microfibre towel to buff off.

·
Bringer of good vibes
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,309
Managed to get a service done during lockdown 2.0, I noticed the 86 was understeering slightly which I thought was just me. However after a recent MOT it transpires the rear right droplink had failed, rendering the rear anti roll bar inactive, confirming that feeling of understeer. Sad times :(

My sponsor Whiteline have been great throughout all of this, I told them I've been unlucky with the quality of the roads I've driven through and that may have led to the heavy duty droplink breaking. They acknowledged the damage and sent out a new set of droplinks which were different to the ones installed as the new set are non-adjustable and defines a new level of 'heavy duty'. They're huge!

Here are some pictures showing the rear droplink disconnected to the lower control arm:

So, service time. This time round I brought a collection of engine oil I had along with some ATE Typ200 brake fluid, Millers CRX NT+ transmission oil for the diff. Also Whiteline sent over the new rear droplinks and their positive shift gearbox bushing insert kit:

·
Bringer of good vibes
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,310
Air filter changed from the Cosworth to HKS, engine and diff oils drained, time to check out the droplinks:

Now we can inspect the droplinks. It failed where the link ends and the joint begins, completely sheared.

The new droplinks in comparison:

·
Bringer of good vibes
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,311
Rear droplinks installed and torqued up, both Whiteline and the garage think it's going to take some really special to break these.

Next up we installed the Whiteline gearbox insert. Each product from Whiteline comes with very detailed installation instructions which can also be obtained from the website. Once removed we can see the void that the mount will be filling, so we greased up the mount with the supplied lubricant and fitted everything back.

Finishing off the service with fresh engine oil, diff oil and flushing out the brake fluid.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Managed to get a service done during lockdown 2.0, I noticed the 86 was understeering slightly which I thought was just me. However after a recent MOT it transpires the rear right droplink had failed, rendering the rear anti roll bar inactive, confirming that feeling of understeer. Sad times :(

My sponsor Whiteline have been great throughout all of this, I told them I've been unlucky with the quality of the roads I've driven through and that may have led to the heavy duty droplink breaking. They acknowledged the damage and sent out a new set of droplinks which were different to the ones installed as the new set are non-adjustable and defines a new level of 'heavy duty'. They're huge!

Here are some pictures showing the rear droplink disconnected to the lower control arm:

So, service time. This time round I brought a collection of engine oil I had along with some ATE Typ200 brake fluid, Millers CRX NT+ transmission oil for the diff. Also Whiteline sent over the new rear droplinks and their positive shift gearbox bushing insert kit:

Which part got the fluid replacement of Don Simon Watermelon Andy! Haha

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Bringer of good vibes
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,314
Haven't had the chance to do another shakedown and test of the latest Whiteline upgrades, but rolled both 86s out to take a few photos. They're a bit muddy due to the country roads taken to get there so they'll both need a wash shortly.

I have some new products courtesy of Amazon Vine to test out on the car so once we have some decent weather I'll take some more photos.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
4 Interesting cars

I don't know what droplinks are supposed to do (something with rollbars) but that's a Caterham, an S2000, a GT86 and an Elise together in one picture, the affordable driver cars garage!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Looks great Andy. On a side note, appreciating the photography, trying to capture a white car and a black car in the same photo without washing one out can't be easy.

·
Bringer of good vibes
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,317
I don't know what droplinks are supposed to do (something with rollbars) but that's a Caterham, an S2000, a GT86 and an Elise together in one picture, the affordable driver cars garage!
Haha yes it's a good garage to be in :) Kit car is a father/son project, with an F20C engine from an S2000, the S2000 is one of the very last models to roll of the production line, there's a few more projects too, behind the camera was a old school Mini with a rear wheel drive turbocharged Honda engine. Bit mad!

·
Bringer of good vibes
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,318
Looks great Andy. On a side note, appreciating the photography, trying to capture a white car and a black car in the same photo without washing one out can't be easy.
Thanks Matt :) Having to mess around in Photoshop so I'm pleased you understand the difficulty having both cars with completely opposite colours!

·
Bringer of good vibes
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,319
Hardly a modification, I upgraded the factory 1.1 bar radiator cap with the TRD 1.3 bar. It was nice to check on the 86 over the weekend, nicely protected from the incoming weather.

Blurb from online regarding the TRD radiator cap: Raises the boiling point of your coolant for increased cooling efficiency and prevention of over heating. When coolant boils, small air pockets are created. As the coolant passes through the block and radiator core, the air pockets reduce the cooling efficiency and will eventually cause the engine to overheat. TRD's High Pressure Radiator Cap operates at 1.3kg/cm2 at zero atmospheric pressure. In theory, the atmospheric pressure of the road surface (approximately 1.0kg/cm2) is added and the pressure is 2.3kg/cm2.

Neat. However, no discernible difference if you're not pushing hard but for a dress-up and bonus with cooling upgrade it's worth it - thanks [MENTION=60]Kodename47[/MENTION].

1301 - 1320 of 1327 Posts