GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So my cars ordered and due to arrive middle of October (fingers crossed...)

Anyway, at the time I ordered I did not bother with the JBL upgrade (sub etc), however I'm now thinking I would like to at least get the boot subwoofer.

So... is this an option thats dealer fitted?, could I have this fitted at a later date by the dealer?

Cheers,
John

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Hi John.

Gratz on ordering the GT and welcome to the OC.

The JBL stuff is a dealer fitted option which can be added at any time. There are a few threads in the forum regarding the JBL offering and my impression is that it's not worth the money. Might be better if you read those before comitting your cash to buying it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

I guess the main appeal of the JBL is the sub designed to fit in the wheel well, but to be honset that's all I'm bothered about.

Does anyone have any experience of adding an aftermarket sub to the wheel well (box build?), wiring access e.g any existing audio cable, amp power etc

Cheers
John

G

·
I'm not so sure the feedback is all negative - maybe worth checking.Plenty of us think it's expensive, true. I don't think many of us have even seen or heard it though; I certainly haven't.

The one or two who have shelled out for the upgrade were very happy with it IIRC.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
A lot of people who shell out a lot of cash for something are happy with their choice, because denial is easier than egg on face! :)

It's not too hard to make your own sub box. You'd most likely want to use fibreglass though to make the best use of the space, and to do it properly you'll need 6-10mm thick, which is very heavy!

If I am not happy with the sub bass performance of the OEM system, then I may consider building a lightweight enclosure for a small sub, most likely using a mixture of carbon fibre and expanding foam with a lightweight baffle made of magnesium or maybe even titanium!

Yes, i've been a car hi-fi nerd in the past :)

G

·
gt_sjo said:
A lot of people who shell out a lot of cash for something are happy with their choice, because denial is easier than egg on face! :)
Similarly, those too poor/tight to shell out for options claim they're unjustifiable/overpriced/etc.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I'm still dubious about a sub in the boot, with itsMaccyDconnotations. I know, the NSX has one in the footwell...

Shirley a high-quality set on one-ways in the doors would improve the sound stage cheaper, lighter & better?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Well your in luck mate, I've just picked up my baby with the JBL system fitted. Where abouts are you? More that welcome to show you and give you a listen. To be honest, I didn't get to fully listen to the normal system to really know if it was 100% worth it but it is a good system and it was justconvenient to get the dealer fitted one. To me its very clear and good sound with a good underlying base (not over boomy but you can crank it up....but then you'll start to get rattles etc), but I'm no audiophiliac.

·
Registered
855 Posts
How much does the JBL system cost in the UK? As i have yet to get any pricing on it here in sweden, and have been thinking to build a custom fiber case to house my good old 10" MTX units in

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Nick Graves said:
I'm still dubious about a sub in the boot, with itsMaccyDconnotations. I know, the NSX has one in the footwell...

Shirley a high-quality set on one-ways in the doors would improve the sound stage cheaper, lighter & better?

A sub in the wheel well is a very effective way of getting the depth of sound required.

I'd argue it's almost impossible to get a good depth of sound without one.

I have had a setup with an under seat sub which was also very effective.

·
Registered
655 Posts
A lot of people like a small sub, it's true.

I think if I have one criticism of it (like most Japanese set-ups) is a slight lack of clarity (like a hollow)in the low-mids, rather than the very low-Hz frequencies.

I've crisped things up in the 'Lude & S2000 with some KFC-1666s (they have a tinny thing on the bass cone, so they're sort of 1 1/2-way) to good effect for no real money.

The 86's are way better than the furry mid-things Honda shoves into doors, though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm also thinking of adding the Jbl audio system to my car in the future but I'm worried about how much weight it will add to the car and whether the sub woofer will compromise any space in the boot.
I've never actually heard or seen a car with the jbl fitted in yet so excuse me if what I said is dum:).
But would guys know how much weight it will add? as I know some sub woofer boxes can be pretty heavy.

Nick

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
The sub itself is actually pretty light, it's not massive and it's not encased in a big box like the usual subs you see, if you check out some of the picks I've posted up (Click Here). So don't think it weighs the car down that much, then again, it does have 3 extra speakers and an amp so no idea how much weight they add on. As for space you won't lose any boot space unless you have a space saver, at which point, you'll in the tread I linked, you'll struggle to find a space saver that will fit with the sub (unless you've got a full space I recon at which point your boot carpet thing won't sit properly as the wheel willprotrudeup a lil) again hopefully you can see from the images I've posted on the thread. If your anywhere near the midlands, I'm more than welcome to show you it, maybe at the NEC Autosport meet?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Keethos said:
The sub itself is actually pretty light, it's not massive and it's not encased in a big box like the usual subs you see, if you check out some of the picks I've posted up (Click Here). So don't think it weighs the car down that much, then again, it does have 3 extra speakers and an amp so no idea how much weight they add on. As for space you won't lose any boot space unless you have a space saver, at which point, you'll in the tread I linked, you'll struggle to find a space saver that will fit with the sub (unless you've got a full space I recon at which point your boot carpet thing won't sit properly as the wheel willprotrudeup a lil) again hopefully you can see from the images I've posted on the thread. If your anywhere near the midlands, I'm more than welcome to show you it, maybe at the NEC Autosport meet?
Id be very interested in a listen to your car Keethos, as im still trying to figure out which way to go on mine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Keethos said:
The sub itself is actually pretty light, it's not massive and it's not encased in a big box like the usual subs you see, if you check out some of the picks I've posted up (Click Here).  So don't think it weighs the car down that much, then again, it does have 3 extra speakers and an amp so no idea how much weight they add on.  As for space you won't lose any boot space unless you have a space saver, at which point, you'll in the tread I linked, you'll struggle to find a space saver that will fit with the sub (unless you've got a full space I recon at which point your boot carpet thing won't sit properly as the wheel will protrude up a lil) again hopefully you can see from the images I've posted on the thread.  If your anywhere near the midlands, I'm more than welcome to show you it, maybe at the NEC Autosport meet?
That sounds great :). It would be awesome if I could see it and hear it myself, so thanks a lot for the offer keethos.
When exactly is the NEC autosport meet, and where?

Nick

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Look in the events section.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.