GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been talked about on this forum before. It doesn't look like many people have ordered this option even though pricing information is now available.

What are peoples thoughts on a £1K sound upgrade for their GT86?

On my test drive I wasn't overly impressed with the stereo quality but at the same time I didn't spend long messing with it as I only turned it on when the drive was completed.. If the standard set-up turns out to be awful I may well consider this at a later date.

After all it is a dealer fit option. Are there better/more reasonably priced alternatives?

Will the dismantling of the car to replace the speakers result in rattles and buzzes in the trim further down the line? Or the opposite?

All these questions are mulling over in my head...

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
The only reason I am thinkig abotu it is for longer journeys....

I do liek the sound of a nicely professionally fitted sound system. I has a sub and 4 music channels powered by a 440W DSP amp so hopefulyl that can tuen the delays ect to match the acustics of the car.
Edited by: GT86Owner

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love music so a reasonable sound system on long journeys is not unreasonable. You can always turn it off to concentrate down your favorite B-road.

It would be interesting to hear what an un-biased dealer with experience of the two systems would say. Is it worth it?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
DavidGT86 said:
I love music so a reasonable sound system on long journeys is not unreasonable. You can always turn it off to concentrate down your favorite B-road.

It would be interesting to hear what an un-biased dealer with experience of the two systems would say. Is it worth it?
Exactly. I am a bit of a home audio authusiast. Compared to that even the very best car systems cant compare simply becasue the aqustics of the car and switch mode power supplies they have to use. Once you car used to a good home audio system, any standard head unit will about 5W RMS into 4ohm with crazy distortion will sound rubbish. I would think the JBL will be good enoguh to enjoy.

I was on the toyota owners club a few weeks ago. Some people had it fitted to their Auris and said is sounded very good. Quite a few people in the states have similar system fitted to other toyotas.

In terms of sound quality I would think the JBL systems sound quite similar.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want to hear it for myself. If they fit one to a demo car in Colchester and I like it I will most likely buy it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Like i have said before changing a few of the setting son the standard system namely the bass improves the sound massively.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
R32 GTR said:
Like i have said before changing a few of the setting son the standard system namely the bass improves the sound massively.
I take your point but when I had a play I didnt find it as good as I hoped.

P.s. I found the bass fine without tweaking. It more the overall clarity of the system.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
The car is noisy , both mechanical and external.

I'd get to know the car a bit before shelling out for audio quality

Plus extra weight :yikes:

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
ICantAffordAnLFA said:
The car is noisy , both mechanical and external.

I'd get to know the car a bit before shelling out for audio quality

Plus extra weight :yikes:
Welcome man,

I assume your the same 1st Uk owner of the BRZ as seen on the ft86 club?

Alot more UK people on here! We hope you'll post your tuning result on here too ;)

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Yep that's me

Need a good uk forum

Tuning thread as soon as Litcho gets it together ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I love my sound and have held my breath and ordered the JBL speakers to be fitted (£1275 inc installation!!!) and the rear parking sensors (£375)... Should I be worried?

(This is on top of the leather heated seats and touch and go upgrades too)

(Coming from a guy who also desperately wants the TRD spoiler and quad exhausts)

(Need... more... money... damn)

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
ThereIsNoSpoon0 said:
I love my sound and have held my breath and ordered the JBL speakers to be fitted (£1275 inc installation!!!) and the rear parking sensors (£375)... Should I be worried?

(This is on top of the leather heated seats and touch and go upgrades too)

(Coming from a guy who also desperately wants the TRD spoiler and quad exhausts)

(Need... more... money... damn)

Hi and Welcome,

I think £1275 is a bit steep. My dealer has quoted £1100 and antoher in Bristol quoted me £1050 all in.

I dotn think you'll be unpset by the JBL upgrade

·
Registered
90 Posts
Having picked up my car on Friday last week I have had a chance to play with all the gadgetry and can honestly say I'm glad I saved the £1250 by not orderingthe JBL system. Having set the balance, bass and treble to my own tastes I find the standard system very good, handling the likes of radio 1, 2, RealXS, smoothand the talk stations such as 4 & 5, beethoven's 5th, Gary Moore, porcupine tree, Iron Maiden, and even Donny Osmond and Take That (the wife's choice, honest!) all equally well. Sadly however, the lack of long wave means no Test Match Special so I might have to dig deeper into the DAB Ready subject!

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
R32 GTR said:
I had a proper listen yesterday with some of my favourite CD's and I think it sounds quite good for a factory system actually. Its a bit funny in that at lower volumes the bass and mid needs turning up jsut a little to get a balanced sound but at higher voltumes I found everything on default sounded pretty good. I tried it with a wide range of systems.

Should sound better once the system has losened up a bit too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a 3 hour test drive in a car with the standard audio, and on the basis of that I ordered the JBL upgrade. If you like the sound of a fifties radio, stick with the standard system. Despite the GT86 being a relatively noisy car inside, the JBL system remains clear at motorway speeds without having to crank up the volume too much. In my opinion, if you enjoy your music, and want a clear, detailed and powerful system, the JBL upgrade is a very worthwhile (if expensive) option.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts