GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who are interested, I have an electronic copy of the dealer guide for JBL speaker upgrade.

Actually a really good guide if you are thinking about putting your own sound system in, and tbh a really good guide anyway as it shows detail on how to remove loads of the interior as the JBL fit is quite extensive.

I found it interesting as I'm seriously thinking of removing the seats and putting seat heater elements in.

Link to it here - not sure how long I'll host it though, so grab it whilst you can!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a7lmuog5hqj62u8/nVICqsmfNd

Edited by: gt_sjo

·
Registered
855 Posts
Specially since I now have the info on speakers, without having to take everythign apart first, so i can now source the ones i want, and THEN take it all apart to fit them.. :p

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
I didn't think the difference between the standard and JBL setup was worth the extra grand and hassle. Adding a small amplified sub would produce similar results at a much reduced cost!

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,869 Posts
gt_sjo said:
I didn't think the difference between the standard and JBL setup was worth the extra grand and hassle. Adding a small amplified sub would produce similar results at a much reduced cost!
Did you get a chance to listen to one in the end?

I find the stock unit lack mid/bass punch rather than low end bass.

Edited by: GT86Owner

·
Registered
363 Posts
gt_sjo said:

Any suggestions on something you know works/is small enough to fit discretely?

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
GT86Owner said:
Did you get a chance to listen to one in the end?

I find the stock unit lack mid/bass punch rather than low end bass.

Yeah, someone kindly met up with me and we had acomparativelisten of each car. I agree in that the main difference is in the mid-bass more than a sub, but adding a small sub would give you a feeling of depth if not accuracy (with instruments like double bass etc).

If someone is after that level of detail and are a bit of an audiophile then the chances are you'll be replacing the lot with something custom anyway

I have a feeling the OEM head unit doesn't offer any form of time alignment/delay when adding the additional JBL sub. This actually muddied the sound (bass) from my experience - even though there was less depth to some drums on my car vs the JBL, mine was a lot tighter and punchier, due to the 'slow' sub in the JBL setup. I think for the JBL setup to sound its best (as always), would be to add a processor in-between the head unit and the amp (they just so happen to make one called the MS-8). This should get it all sounding a lot more harmonious - but of course with upgrades like this you're starting to go down a long, potentially expensive road

Adding your own sub to the OEM system would suffer the same delay problem unfortunately, so at best it'd sound almost as good as the JBL, but highly unlikely to sound better (than something which is average at best).

I am being potentially harsh here because I come from a competition car audio background/borderline audiofool. Most people will probably think it sounds great! Ignorance is bliss, but what is more important than people being happy?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi gto_sjo - with such a background would you be good enough to recommend a sub + amp for reasonable money that would do the job?

I find that the speakers on even the standard set-up aren't really up to the job at *high* volumes.. any recommendations for those that would be simple(isn) to swap out would also be good. I would probably only swap out the door speakers being relatively accessible.

I would wonder though whether you're going to get a lot of trim rattle with too big an audio set-up in this car... I actually had loads of trim and the head unit out at the weekend whilst playing with getting heated seats installed (went a bit further than necessary for a laugh).. with the weight of this car being a priority, whilst still good quality, it's not of the sturdyness you'd find in most cars and very little in the way of sound deadening as I'm sure you all know already!

On that note, any good recommendations for getting a rounded torx seat bolt out??
Had to be the last dam one didn't it.... funny how the easy things can end up being the hard bit...

Edited by: pt86

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Like I said above, if you add a sub without a processor you may actually make the bass sound 'muddy'. But if you insist..

I would probably go for an all-in-one amplified bass box as anything more than that would most likely over-power the front end of the car anyway. Adding a sub will make your front end sound as if it can go louder, even more so if you filter off the sub bass to the front speakers (a simple capacitor in-line with those speakers can achieve this).

Have a look through the URL below and ultimately it'll come down to size and cost:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/subwoofers-enclosed-subs/

Something from one of the big boys, like Alpine, Pioneer etc would most likely do the job.

On the subject of rattles - yes the JBL kit does rattle several pieces of trim inside the cabin, so proceed with caution! Or you may be forever trying to stop all the rattles!

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,869 Posts
pt86 said:
I find that the speakers on even the standard set-up aren't really up to the job at *high* volumes..
It not the speakers that cant handle the power, its the 5W RMS headunit that cant power the speakers. Clipping (underpowering) will ruin your speakers just as much as power powering them.

Cirtainly on good speakers, the only sign you'll get with them being overdriven is possibly tightening of the bass but more notably is the smell of the coils melting!

I had this problem with my 10cm MBQuarts a few years back

Edited by: GT86Owner

·
Registered
855 Posts
Comming from a compettition back ground, as a European sound comepetition Judge, in denmark, i would recommend an upgrade of the front speakers, dash and doors, and a smallish bass box(depending on what kindda bass u like ofc), and a small to medium amplifier to boost sound volumen and control to the speakers.

Most amplifiers today can also do a decent bass control, to make the bass kick better in sync with the front system.

Personally im going towards something 3 way up front, and 1-2 10" MTX Thunder 5000 subs in the back. And to run it, at first ill be using a 4 channel amp i have lying at home, runnig it in 3 channel mode, and when i get some cash that will be upgraded to Audison or somethign similar, depending on what i can get my old suplier to sell me at a very good price.. :p

But going for about 100w to each front channel, and 200-250w to the sub. That should give me enough power to supply good sound control, and to not have to turn volume too high when i want it loud and good.. :)

The reason to take a good powerful amp, is that the higher you turn the volume knob, on either stereo or amp, the more u start to distort the sound, which will sound bad, and might damage the speakers in the long run. (Very simply put.. :) )

·
Registered
855 Posts
GT86Owner said:
pt86 said:
I find that the speakers on even the standard set-up aren't really up to the job at *high* volumes..
It not the speakers that cant handle the power, its the 5W RMS headunit that cant power the speakers. Clipping (underpowering) will ruin your speakers just as much as power powering them.

Cirtainly on good speakers, the only sign you'll get with them being overdriven is possibly tightening of the bass but more notably is the smell of the coils melting!

Very well said, and states the problem extremely well, that most people run into. HUUUGE speakers, to a crappy amped headunit, that has 4x60w on the paper, but which mostly will output MAYBE 4x20w, and very bad sound control, which as pt86 says will in worst case, fry the coils, which smells bad, and cost alot of money in the end, hehe.

Therefore in the end, its important to overamp the system, rather than overspeaker it.. :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
gt_sjo said:
Like I said above, if you add a sub without a processor you may actually make the bass sound 'muddy'. But if you insist..

I would probably go for an all-in-one amplified bass box as anything more than that would most likely over-power the front end of the car anyway. Adding a sub will make your front end sound as if it can go louder, even more so if you filter off the sub bass to the front speakers (a simple capacitor in-line with those speakers can achieve this).

Have a look through the URL below and ultimately it'll come down to size and cost:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/subwoofers-enclosed-subs/

What processor would you recommend? Likewise for a filter for the front speakers I still have some decent crossovers tucked away. Would they potentially be OK?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.