GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Is the car manufactured in Japan and shipped to Uk? I have been told by dealer and this adds to the delivery time.

Placed an order end of July and told delivery will be Jan 19.

I am not convinced that it’s made in Japan and shipped over .

Thank you

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi guys,

Is the car manufactured in Japan and shipped to Uk? I have been told by dealer and this adds to the delivery time.

Placed an order end of July and told delivery will be Jan 19.

I am not convinced that it’s made in Japan and shipped over .

Thank you

I ordered mine in November last year & drove away from the dealers in April.

The dealer will give you login details for your car & you can follow the progress. It's very slow till they start the build (I imagine waiting to amass enough orders to justify turning the robots on) but then its pretty quick, including the sea voyage. I found arrival & processing in Australia to be very slow but that's possibly because I was champing at the bit to get my new car.

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
They are made in Maebashi, Gunma Prefecture in Japan as Will says. I know, I've visited the factory. All the options though such as heated seats, alarms and other options are fitted at Portbury Docks in the UK. That is a very long wait for a car. I only had to wait two weeks for mine as they had stock in the colour I wanted.

Reactions: BRZ

·
Registered
943 Posts
They are made in Maebashi, Gunma Prefecture in Japan as Will says. I know, I've visited the factory. All the options though such as heated seats, alarms and other options are fitted at Portbury Docks in the UK. That is a very long wait for a car. I only had to wait two weeks for mine as they had stock in the colour I wanted.
That's impressive. Any chance , a visit can be arranged for us lesser mortals

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
943 Posts
Subaru has all it's manufacturing in Japan and now recently a USA assembly for certain models. The BRZ / GT86 is only made in Japan.
Mazda and Subaru are the only 2 companies who still make nearly all of their cars in their country of origin i.e. Japan. Rest all (Honda, Toyota, Suzuki, Nissan etc.) have diversified to low cost or strategic continental locations.

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
That's impressive. Any chance , a visit can be arranged for us lesser mortals

Anyone can have a tour, though the factory you actually see is the Forester as they have an overhead walkway in the factory where you can see the car start from sheet metal all the way to the finished product. It's pretty impressive. They also have a little museum with a variety of Subaru's including Richard Burns WRC Impreza that ironically was made by Prodrive of course. The only issue is, you need a Japanese speaking friend to phone them up and book it for you. There was no English translator when we were there so we understood nothing.

Very much worth doing though if you are in Japan. You'll need a car to get there. I hired a GT86 from Toyota rentacar.

Reactions: BRZ

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
It's good that they are all made in Japan tbh. They are all perfectionists and the 86 is pretty well screwed together as a result :p

Some of the other manufacturers seem to vary in quality depending on where they are built. Should have seen some of the panel gaps on my German built Fiesta ST, not good enough Germany!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts